Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not even bother getting into this convo (especially if you're gonna put words in my mouth just to boost your own argument), I can' t deal with people who are constantly pessimistic and have a defeatist attitude, at some point you're gonna need to change your mentality.

Try and have a good day fella :thumbup:

Don't worry, I'm not gonna start calling you an ENIC employee, or agent of Levy or anything. 👌
I'm just pointing out, that until we see actual change, there's nothing to suggest we'll get.....actual change.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna start calling you an ENIC employee, or agent of Levy or anything. 👌
I'll just pointing out, that until we see actual change, there's nothing to suggest we'll get.....actual change.

We can speculate though. ;)

I mean what's the point of following football if there's no hope.

At some point you're allowed to dream of favourable scenarios for your club if they stay within the realms of reality.

We can speculate though. ;)

I mean what's the point of following football if there's no hope.

At some point you're allowed to dream of favourable scenarios for your club if they stay within the realms of reality.

I think I follow Spurs because I'm an addict. Alcoholics and junkies know what they're doing is bad, but they keep doing it.

Also, as I've said many times, it's a good way to get some "me time" which is sparse as a "responsible" adult.

They have great support. I am from Vienna and go there sometimes. Had a very rocky start to the season, but changed managers a few weeks ago. They will probably a bit tougher than they were against West Ham.
I went to the Wien Derby a few years ago when I was working in Vienna...

Stood with the Rapid fans (luckily, I had a green & white top with me, so wore that.)

Funnily enough, I thought it was the old the Ernst Happel stadion (where we played Sparkasse Stockerau back in 1992...) But turns out it was a totally different stadium...

Must've been just down the road, cos I remember going through the Fairground both times anyway!!

For those advocating stating in this shit fest.

Spurs would be at home in the 2nd leg on Thursday 24th of February in the 2nd leg of the R32
The league cup final would be 3 days later. And only Leicester would be potentially playing that close to the final too. but they've got Liverpool in the QF so likely will be out.

So 9 games to win the Paint Trophy, starting at the end of February and get a spot in the Ropey League. Or 3 games the domestic league cup ending in late February.

I know where I'd want my resources going.

So what, you choose to ignore the fact we've won less in 20 years of Enic than at any other point of our clubs history?
Even insignificant cups have become unwinnable since they arrived. Year after year of poor decisions, often followed up by reactionary moves such as Mourinho and Conte.

Year after year after year and yet you still expect something better?
Maybe it's you with he problem, not me or the other guy.
Matt, I did not have you down as one of the pessimistic posters but your posts in this stream certainly are. Now you clearly want out of the Conference which has already been stated is not only a good opportunity to win a trophy at last but we need the Coefficient points in the future. We do not want to go back to the difficult position we were in when we first qualified for CL and were in the 3rd seeded pot and struggled to qualify. We should never have been in this position of needing to win the last game to qualify. I accept our chances of staying in the competition are minimal but am disappointed at that.

When we were in the CL we had to play a very strong team every match and that would be the case next season if we qualify. Therefore the players have to get used to it and we must stop playing a 2nd 11 in the lesser competitions but just rest 2/4 players and not the whole 11. I remember Trippier/Davies and Walker/Rose rotating regularly.
I do not think anyone considers the current squad as good as the one a few years back but we have spent money recently but just not wisely. It is the hope that things can get better that keeps us all going and ENIC are not solely to blame for our demise. Everton have spent heavily but it has not worked out and money whilst important is not the only matter that leads to success.
As to the future I think that the top 3 is sorted this season but the order of the other chasing clubs between 4th and 8th could go in any order. I really am not bothered by getting 4th as it does not win you anything and only qualifies you for CL which we are not good enough to win. If you look at our history when we had some of our Cup wins our league position suffered including 1991 and quite frankly I would rather win the F A Cup and finish 8th than go out in the 3rd/4th round and finish 4th in the league.

Matt, I did not have you down as one of the pessimistic posters but your posts in this stream certainly are. Now you clearly want out of the Conference which has already been stated is not only a good opportunity to win a trophy at last but we need the Coefficient points in the future. We do not want to go back to the difficult position we were in when we first qualified for CL and were in the 3rd seeded pot and struggled to qualify. We should never have been in this position of needing to win the last game to qualify. I accept our chances of staying in the competition are minimal but am disappointed at that.

When we were in the CL we had to play a very strong team every match and that would be the case next season if we qualify. Therefore the players have to get used to it and we must stop playing a 2nd 11 in the lesser competitions but just rest 2/4 players and not the whole 11. I remember Trippier/Davies and Walker/Rose rotating regularly.
I do not think anyone considers the current squad as good as the one a few years back but we have spent money recently but just not wisely. It is the hope that things can get better that keeps us all going and ENIC are not solely to blame for our demise. Everton have spent heavily but it has not worked out and money whilst important is not the only matter that leads to success.
As to the future I think that the top 3 is sorted this season but the order of the other chasing clubs between 4th and 8th could go in any order. I really am not bothered by getting 4th as it does not win you anything and only qualifies you for CL which we are not good enough to win. If you look at our history when we had some of our Cup wins our league position suffered including 1991 and quite frankly I would rather win the F A Cup and finish 8th than go out in the 3rd/4th round and finish 4th in the league.

We had to play in the qualifying rounds for this competition.
I suspect all this coefficient nonsense is just to make sure their pet favourites get what they want.
Us having to play qualifying rounds in this is like us having to come into the FA Cup at R1.

I went to the Wien Derby a few years ago when I was working in Vienna...

Stood with the Rapid fans (luckily, I had a green & white top with me, so wore that.)

Funnily enough, I thought it was the old the Ernst Happel stadion (where we played Sparkasse Stockerau back in 1992...) But turns out it was a totally different stadium...

Must've been just down the road, cos I remember going through the Fairground both times anyway!!
Yeah, they played their seasons 2014/15 and 2015/16 in the Ernst Happel Stadion (the main stadium the national team plays in) while the new stadium was built on the same ground the old one stood on before. A situation not unlike ours in 2017/18 (and 2016/17 partially).

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

For those advocating stating in this shit fest.

Spurs would be at home in the 2nd leg on Thursday 24th of February in the 2nd leg of the R32
The league cup final would be 3 days later. And only Leicester would be potentially playing that close to the final too. but they've got Liverpool in the QF so likely will be out.

So 9 games to win the Paint Trophy, starting at the end of February and get a spot in the Ropey League. Or 3 games the domestic league cup ending in late February.

I know where I'd want my resources going.
I want to stay in this mostly for coefficient points as we’ve mentioned on previous pages.

I want to stay in this mostly for coefficient points as we’ve mentioned on previous pages.
What use were they, as I mentioned on this page, when we had to go through 2 rounds of qualifying for this amateur tournament?
And we had to do the same last season for the ropey league.
If you're not in the clique then you have to put up with that shit.
Arseholes could probably spend 5 years out of Europe and still bypass it.

What use were they, as I mentioned on this page, when we had to go through 2 rounds of qualifying for this amateur tournament?
They'll be useful for CL qualification in future, it's already been thoroughly explained.

Since when has the champions league ignored the rules to allow their favorites free entry?

Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all failed to qualify in recent years.

Juve would have failed without the proper result in week 38 last year.

Barca and Juve might both fail to qualify next year.

Sure they might change FUTURE rules to benefit their favorites but they never ignore existing rules because that’s just ridiculous.

I don’t see Barca in the group stages. Surely, they could have just disqualified Benfica instead of forcing Barca to the Europa?

They'll be useful for CL qualification in future, it's already been thoroughly explained.
But we're going round in circles. to get these supposedly valuable points, we have to commit to a farmers league and almost certainly forfeit CL qualification to get them.
So you're advocating working hard, to win coefficient points, for a tournament, we won't be able to qualify for, because we've burnt ourselves out trying to get the points to help us.

Madness.

Back
Top Bottom