The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Feel free to merge them, I didn't see that thread, my apologies

edit: I'm probably being stupid as I can click the link but for some reason that thread is not appearing on my search bar or the main spurs forum so I'm not sure what is happening
If the thread creator is on your ignore list you won't see the thread, or you might have accidentally hit the ignore thread button at some point.

Yep, I’m so much more confident. Don’t get me wrong, we are still a great team and improvements are still needed in the summer, but I think we are the best of the rest. Way below the top 3 and nowhere near a top 3 challenge, but better than the other chasers of 4th. Romero back and Son is absolutely massive. Add to that our new signings who are looking like they will make an impact and it’s very positive. The Conte affect is going to be huge too.
Are we ‘way below the top three and nowhere a top 3 challenge’
We have 2 games in hand over Liverpool win them and we’re 6 pts behind the 2nd place team with 16 games to play

4 games in hand on the blue racists win them and we go 3rd by a point

City are the only ones that are uncatchable from our point of view, all other positions including ending up 8th is in play

Are we ‘way below the top three and nowhere a top 3 challenge’
We have 2 games in hand over Liverpool win them and we’re 6 pts behind the 2nd place team with 16 games to play

4 games in hand on the blue racists win them and we go 3rd by a point

City are the only ones that are uncatchable from our point of view, all other positions including ending up 8th is in play
We're not winning all of our games in hand. If we win against Scum and Burnley we're in a very good spot, Brighton won't be as bad as they were last game. At the moment our concern is top 4. If we gain momentum from Southampton tonight and then Wolves, who knows what happens when we play City...

We're not winning all of our games in hand. If we win against Scum and Burnley we're in a very good spot, Brighton won't be as bad as they were last game. At the moment our concern is top 4. If we gain momentum from Southampton tonight and then Wolves, who knows what happens when we play City...

epw australianwrestling GIF by Explosive Professional Wrestling

United dropping points again is huge for the top 4 race. They look so disjointed.

I’m more confident in top 4 now with Kane scoring again and getting Romero, Dier and Son back. Add to that a couple of new signings.

We have 4 games in hand over 4th, and we’re 4 points behind them. We could move 8 points clear of that scum who happily play animal abusers.
Agreed.

Man Utd is an odd one, on paper they look like top 4 should be a formality, but they have that busted flush feel about them as well, Ronaldo doing a bit of a Bale and not exactly re-igniting it as a lot of people expected him too.
I would have said they were clear favourites and then us, but you watch them and they look pretty shit.

We need to take advantage, going to be a tight as fuck run in.

Maybe, maybe not. But we are in with a good shout for maximum return. Brighton weren’t bad at all against us, we were just better and why wouldn’t we be even better still, that was the first game back for both Son and Romero, Dier was still absent and the new boys would have had a few games to bed in.

Catching Liverpool is indeed a big ask but Chelsea only seem to beat us, their last game they stuttered against Brighton.

All to play for.

I think Woolwich are going to be our biggest rivals for fourth. They may well have gotten better by subtraction (Auba).
Having said that, they have a less than mediocre manager and might struggle for goals. I think there will be great pressure on their young players but if they step up, it pains me to say that they might make a real race of it.
Premier League Predictions

We've been the better team since Conte's arrival out of the 4-20 league. Depends entirely on whether that trend holds or fades. I'm betting on it holding, I don't think the squad has been playing "over its head" with new enthusiasm...I think they're just finally playing up to their level again (which is definitely top 4 material but not top 2).

Getting pipped late in the season by those wandering cunts would be par for the course with how shitty life has gone since Madrid, though.

:contehandshead:

Agreed.

Man Utd is an odd one, on paper they look like top 4 should be a formality, but they have that busted flush feel about them as well, Ronaldo doing a bit of a Bale and not exactly re-igniting it as a lot of people expected him too.
I would have said they were clear favourites and then us, but you watch them and they look pretty shit.

We need to take advantage, going to be a tight as fuck run in.
United and Liverpool, in all honesty, seem to have reversed course from a decade plus ago. Liverpool then were a name with loads of money that could still attract players with the history, but couldn't manage to keep up with the league moving forward despite the financial advantage.

That definitely seems to describe United these days, right down to the press love in about how next year, next manager, etc. they'll be back.

Took Liverpool 25ish years to figure it out. Let's hope it takes United that long.

league not easy to assume anything... Burnley, bottom, took points off Manu
Well any one data point can be corrupted/an outlier. At the end of the day, thats the whole concept of round-robin home & away. The season results are much more consistently reflective of the abilities of the squads and, increasingly in the modern financially stratified game, correlated to financial investment, with a plus minus based on efficiency rate at sourcing talent in the variable marketplace.

Its all really just a maths equation. And its down to the DoF and Manager to make that +/- figure a positive and not a negative.

Thats why the cups are more exciting. They're less predictable because the sample size is minimized to a single match where anything can happen.

Back
Top Bottom