Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
Christ, levy could leave next and you’d be claiming he was the soul of the club and joe Lewis is the real problem.

Not sure how you got this from my comments.
Levy is the problem at the club when it comes to transfers.
We haven't only signed donkies in the time Hitchen has been here.

Not sure how you got this from my comments.
Levy is the problem at the club when it comes to transfers.
We haven't only signed donkies in the time Hitchen has been here.

We haven't exclusively signed shit players since Levy was here.

..........Your case-building is poor.

This really is a mental argument.

Please can someone tell me a single gem hitchen has unearthed. PLEASE!

Fucking hell, anyone could negotiate a deal their employer couldnt afford.

Here we go: “PSG I will give you £300m for mbappe, mbappe here’s 1m a week wages”

Done.

Fucking clowns on here, to a man

Shadydan Shadydan Hi Shandy, I thought you may be struggling to find this as you were very keen to talk about football with me then disappeared when I asked you to respond to the above. Let me know how you get on.

C x

Ok the obssession is a bit embarasing, probably just stop tagging me in random threads desperately trying to bait me purely for some oneupmanship fetish you have, shall we try that?

In regards to your post, all this shit has already been answered countless times in this thread, you need to add more nuance to this argument as to whether Hitchin uneathered gems or not. We know he didn't for the most part that's not up for debate, what is up for debate is the reason why we didn't manage to secure players and get them over the line when we already had deals in place which isn't purely down to Hitchin. Not everything is down to him as he worked in a period of austerity where the club didn't spend money because of the stadium, the managers picking poor targets (Ndombele, Lo Celso, Gedson etc...) and Levy just bein a pain in the arse - funny how no-one's gonna pick up on the fact that I have openly criticised Levy in this thread countless times but yeah whatever ENICbot blah blah...

I think where he can be blamed is probably being to pally pally and not trusting his own work and not putting his foot down and some players like the Nkoudou and Njie's who were utter gash lets be honest. As a DOF everything will fall on your head naturally if you are head of recruitment but if your CEO is constantly interfering in your job or the club are cutting back on costs then it makes your job extremely difficult.

You have to ask yourself why every report you read he has gowing references in the game from the managers he's worked including Conte with and the club really liked him yet some fans who watched a documentary in which what he said about the January transfer window which got taken massively out of context seemingly have made their minds up about him and think that he can't do his job properly.

Last edited:
Been saying that all along in this entire thread but people still want to blame Hitchin, it's so weird.

I think though Levy has found a better DOF for the way he wants to the club to conduct business, from the looks of it Paratici is a bit of an Italian wheeler deeler who loves a deal, I don't know whether that's a good thing for Spurs or not especialyl considering Levy vetoed a lot of Hitchen's suggestions.

He can hire as many directors as he likes.

As long as they are not allowed to do business within a delegated framework from football considerations only, then Spurs will keep being and doing the same.

Apart from the odd 2 Redknapps and Pochettinos every 10 years

This really is a mental argument.

Please can someone tell me a single gem hitchen has unearthed. PLEASE!

Fucking hell, anyone could negotiate a deal their employer couldnt afford.

Here we go: “PSG I will give you £300m for mbappe, mbappe here’s 1m a week wages”

Done.

Fucking clowns on here, to a man
He claims to have been the only scout in Europe to have known about Luis Suarez.

The logic on here is very confusing ....

It's Levy's fault because he stopped Hitchin buying good players
It's Hitchen's fault because he wasted all Levy's money on bad players

Fact is Hitchin got enough good players on a limited budget to get us into a CL final ... was that Hitchin good? Levy good? Poch good? Players good? or were they all, as some on here would like to believe, completely useless?

The logic on here is very confusing ....

It's Levy's fault because he stopped Hitchin buying good players
It's Hitchen's fault because he wasted all Levy's money on bad players

Fact is Hitchin got enough good players on a limited budget to get us into a CL final ... was that Hitchin good? Levy good? Poch good? Players good? or were they all, as some on here would like to believe, completely useless?

It was Levy's fault that we had a self imposed transfer embargo under Poch for a while, and it's Hitchen's fault that when the purse strings finally did open, we spent it on GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon. We suffered lacklustre window after lacklustre window under him.

It was Levy's fault that we had a self imposed transfer embargo under Poch for a while, and it's Hitchen's fault that when the purse strings finally did open, we spent it on GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon. We suffered lacklustre window after lacklustre window under him.
So all the blame with none of the praise, much like most of your posts in fact. If you could only be cup-half-full instead of cup-half-empty you'd find life so much more fun.

So all the blame with none of the praise, much like most of your posts in fact. If you could only be cup-half-full instead of cup-half-empty you'd find life so much more fun.

Yawn. Another weirdly angry post from you when people point out basic facts. If only you could be slightly more cordial with people rather than oddly spikey whenever somebody criticises your overlords. We're talking about Hitchens being sacked after a long period of failure. What great signings do you feel he made? Can you name actual tangible contributions aside from stuff like 'we got to a CL final!' which was more down to the manager than us having some great, balanced squad?

And hey, if you're happy with the work he did, that's fine. Go wax lyrical about him in a corner and tell everyone how great Aurier, GLC, Ndombele, Sessegnon, Fernandes, Doherty are. It sounds like a fun convo.

Yawn. Another weirdly angry post from you when people point out basic facts. If only you could be slightly more cordial with people rather than oddly spikey whenever somebody criticises your overlords. We're talking about Hitchens being sacked after a long period of failure. What great signings do you feel he made? Can you name actual tangible contributions aside from stuff like 'we got to a CL final!' which was more down to the manager than us having some great, balanced squad?

And hey, if you're happy with the work he did, that's fine. Go wax lyrical about him in a corner and tell everyone how great Aurier, GLC, Ndombele, Sessegnon, Fernandes, Doherty are. It sounds like a fun convo.

Why is it angry? You are obsessed with misery ....

I'm happy that Spurs fans are now annoyed when we fail to reach Europe's top competition ... we couldn't say that for fifty years 1961 until 2011, then Hitchin's signings managed it four more times in less than a decade.

So just what long period of failure were you referring to?

As I said you are always glass-half-full it's just a bit depressing.

Why is it angry? You are obsessed with misery ....

I'm happy that Spurs fans are now annoyed when we fail to reach Europe's top competition ... we couldn't say that for fifty years 1961 until 2011, then Hitchin's signings managed it four more times in less than a decade.

So just what long period of failure were you referring to?

As I said you are always glass-half-full it's just a bit depressing.

You're telling me I'd find life more fun because I don't think Hitchen did a good job. There's nothing even inherently negative about that, he just didn't. Our signings under him were mostly flops. You can't even sit there and come up with positives that don't involve factors not directly related to recruitment.

I'm not going to define success and failure by what we were fifty years ago. The club sacked multiple managers for finishing outside of Europe. Clearly they define success differently to you, which appears to be we were shit once so we should be happy with what we get. After the CL final our squad declined badly and has continued to decline for years until we've landed Conte.

I'm glass half full about factors deserving positivity. Conte appointment for example. I'm not glass half full about Hitchens, whose most successful signing was probably Lucas. I'm not gonna sit here and blow smoke up the arse of the guy who oversaw the GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon window.

You're telling me I'd find life more fun because I don't think Hitchen did a good job. There's nothing even inherently negative about that, he just didn't. Our signings under him were mostly flops. You can't even sit there and come up with positives that don't involve factors not directly related to recruitment.

I'm not going to define success and failure by what we were fifty years ago. The club sacked multiple managers for finishing outside of Europe. Clearly they define success differently to you, which appears to be we were shit once so we should be happy with what we get. After the CL final our squad declined badly and has continued to decline for years until we've landed Conte.

I'm glass half full about factors deserving positivity. Conte appointment for example. I'm not glass half full about Hitchens, whose most successful signing was probably Lucas. I'm not gonna sit here and blow smoke up the arse of the guy who oversaw the GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon window.
Yup five appearances in the CL, our only five since 1961 - he didn't do a good job.

Can't argue with your logic, when you say "I'm not going to define success and failure" so not based on our history, then you just become irrelevant.

Out of interest how do you define Spurs success - compared to City, Liverpool, Utd? no wonder you're always so negative.

Yup five appearances in the CL, our only five since 1961 - he didn't do a good job.

Can't argue with your logic, when you say "I'm not going to define success and failure" so not based on our history, then you just become irrelevant.

What players that he recruited were crucial to our CL qualification? Or was he propped up by signings made by his predecessor and one of the best strikers in PL history coming through the youth academy? Do you think that because we did well on the pitch that equates to every aspect of the club immediately being ran well? Are you that blinkered?

I'm not going to define success or failure by your definition because it's bullshit and the actual club won't do it either. They sent a fucking letter out to the fans because of how shit we'd been and talked about how we aren't living up to expectations. We didn't build a mega stadium to be a conference league club. Failing to finish even inside EL places is absolutely 100% a failure, whether you like to admit it or not.

I'm still waiting on you naming Hitchens signings which were an undeniable success. I suspect I may be here for a while.

What players that he recruited were crucial to our CL qualification? Or was he propped up by signings made by his predecessor and one of the best strikers in PL history coming through the youth academy? Do you think that because we did well on the pitch that equates to every aspect of the club immediately being ran well? Are you that blinkered?

I'm not going to define success or failure by your definition because it's bullshit and the actual club won't do it either. They sent a fucking letter out to the fans because of how shit we'd been and talked about how we aren't living up to expectations. We didn't build a mega stadium to be a conference league club. Failing to finish even inside EL places is absolutely 100% a failure, whether you like to admit it or not.

I'm still waiting on you naming Hitchens signings which were an undeniable success. I suspect I may be here for a while.

What's wrong with you? He's equally responsible for all the good ones and all the bad ones.

Blah, blah, blah we're shit blah, blah, blah .... is that your only thought?

If you won't define success or failure based on our 100 years of history, what the feck will you define it on?

We built a mega stadium and have yet to see a full seasons income from it, let alone the opportunity to invest that income into the squad, yet here you are saying failing to finish inside the top 6 for the first time since 2010 is a failure by Steve Hitchin .... hmmmm .... remember before he arrived we had only finished in the top 6 twice between 1990 and 2010 .... oh I forgot our history doesn't matter to you.

Not saying that's all on him it isn't, but clearly that's hardly failing is it?

Any of the signings you haven't picked out as "failures" would then be by your own selection be a success. 43 players signed contracts between 2017 and 2021 you selected the 'failures' ergo it's all those that are left that are successes. Or are you saying all 43 were shit?

Back
Top Bottom