The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After Harry’s antics during summer and having to watch Nuno’s Mourinho-lite set-up along with N’Dombele and LoCelso through the early season, I really despised this team and wasn’t sure if I cared whether they made 4th or 10th. A strange feeling and the first time in 20+ years or more.

If nothing else and even if we don’t make 4th, Conté’s hiring, Harry’s turnaround, the new signings and getting rid of the poison have me back to my old self and caring again.

Just catching up with a thread I've had on ignore. Is this a typo?

Woolwich have won only one official European trophy in their history...
They won the Cup Winners Cup. But you’re right they didn’t win another - they reached 2 other European finals (uefa cup and cup winners cup).

Think it's unlikely at this point, but we'll see.

I just don't want to finish beneath west ham, potentially finishing behind Woolwich is bad enough as it is, but at least they've played some decent football. The same can't be said about spammers

We failed on the weekend against our direct rival so we simply have to deliver against West Ham and Woolwich.

Win those two games and we are right amongst it.

My fear is we have zero depth right now which is why Conte is not rotating.

We are basically relying on this XI to start every game now until the end of the season. Skipp and Sess are our only decent rotation options and they are nowhere to be seen.

We will need a lot of luck to get there but somehow it's not quite over.

Taking positives from the Man U game. We went there and played to win from start to finish. It was only Ronaldo that stopped us doing that. They're at least as inconsistent as us.

Given our form of WLWLWLWL, I don’t think we will make it

Our league record isnt that though.
Since the Chelsea/Southampton/Wolves games:
City - Win
Burnley - Lose
Leeds - Win
Everton - Win
Man U - Lose
Brighton - Win

Turn up and beat West Ham and we're looking at 5 wins from 7. Not too shabby.

Goons could easily drop points in 3 or 4 of the next five, poss 5 from 7:
Villa A
Palace A
Brighton H
Soton A
Chelsea A
Man U H
West Ham A
Leeds H
New A
Eve H

Important they drop points asap so they don’t have it done in the next month before their tougher games. Villa and Palace defeats (even draws) would be superb

West Ham game is huge. Win that and we’re 5th by rights at the end of this round of fixtures, and even better if Woolwich slip on the banana skin that Villa are, which is entirely plausible.

I’m not overly holding out for 4th, there’s a lot to do and it’s foolish to think we can reverse the form of 3/4 of the season in the final ten matches, but it’s not impossible. I’ll be disappointed but anything below 5th though.

As for CL, I loved being in it and I loved being in attendance as we beat teams like Dortmund, Madrid, etc and going away to Inter for the Bale hatrick. As awful a day as it turned out to be, I’ll also never forget being at a CL final. However, it’s just not the be all and end all for me anymore, and I don’t honestly see the EL as some kind of booby prize. Far from it actually, what right do we have to look down on a competition that we never even reach the later stages for?

If we can finish 5th then that’s a good season in the wider context of things. And if Woolwich want to crow about St Totteringham’s then fine, that’s their small time mentality. After we finished above then once and got that monkey off our back I frankly never gave a shit again. We can be rivals on the matches against them, but there’s really no celebration I’m finishing any place below 1st imho.

A day in the life of a Tottenham fan

Roller Coaster Love GIF
Roller Coaster Drinking GIF

Every time I feel I have given up on top 4, these fuckers pull me back in.

Arteta is already moaning about having the play Wednesday and Saturday, despite having black something like 7 times in 11 weeks! They've played some football, but beat who you would expect them to beat, with a long break in between each game...

I still think we will miss out, and more because of our own issues over anything else, but the bastards keep bringing me back in believing we'll get it.

Also... You just know Sky and the PL are waiting to see if the battle for 4th will last so they can reschedule the NLD for that final week of the season.

Back
Top Bottom