Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas out first surely. Berg is a much more dangerous player than him
I agree, but I think that Lucas is much more content considering his age and international situation to accept a bench role. Bergwijn wants a bigger role and more playing time.

I’d honestly love to keep them both, they’re perfect substitute/rotation options, I just can’t see it happening with Bergwijn. Gil probably takes Bergwijn’s spot next year which is actually pretty decent. Use the Bergwijn money on wingbacks or a LCB.

I’d honestly love to keep them both, they’re perfect substitute/rotation options,
Good post. AC tends to bring on Lucas before Berg.
Maybe when we are back to playing 2 games a week both guys could feature more?
But likely one or both will leave in the summer.

The boy looks like he‘s found ‘it’.

Hope we can convince him to fight one more season, as there’s a 15Goal/15Assist player in the right environment.

Amazing all the players ‘fine margin’ improvements under Conte. Thought he looked a bit pissed at getting so few minutes when he came on, tough one.

I hope we can keep him, but I won’t be surprised if he goes in the summer. I think him and Lucas are great sub options, but Lucas is 29 so he’s on his downward trajectory. The same applies to Son too, and with Bergwijn being only 24 he’s still got plenty of years ahead of him. If Son picks up injuries or we make top four and have lots of games Stevie is a good player to have.

I agree, but I think that Lucas is much more content considering his age and international situation to accept a bench role. Bergwijn wants a bigger role and more playing time.

I’d honestly love to keep them both, they’re perfect substitute/rotation options, I just can’t see it happening with Bergwijn. Gil probably takes Bergwijn’s spot next year which is actually pretty decent. Use the Bergwijn money on wingbacks or a LCB.
I hate Lucas

agree in what you say, the trouble is we need a second 11 and the last few seasons too many of our second 11 think playing in those games is below them

Bad management + bad eggs.

The way Conte spoke after the game he now seems very happy with the mentality of all those that remain. If we upgrade the weakest links in the summer the second string should be much better on all levels.....

+ If we bag CL then every game's a big game > motivation levels and competition within the squad will be even more fevered.

Of course squad depth is always a quandary for the reasons you cited and the fact of good players being unhappy on the bench at any time. However, even though we can't afford the City/PSG route to pay player 150/200kpw to get splinters; it's up to those who are paid the big bucks to find the best solutions they can.

It was a few years ago when we were a poorer squad that we had Keane & Berba playing and Defoe & Bent on the bench. They frequently came on and made a difference. This is what we have been missing for a few years. We need attacking players like Moura & Bergwijn on the bench and if not them, players of similar quality. Stop worrying about them not getting enough mins that is due to us being out of all cup competitions.

As I said - if he does well, I will be happy and gladly amdmit it.
Heck, I was screaming in front of TV that he would put away his chance- and he did! Very well taken.

But two things that were even more telling -
- his cheeky try to hit it first time that resulted in narrowly hitting it over the crossbar. Obviously proof of his confidence. And very-very good effort as well. Lovely to see!
- he played as ST just like Conte suggested at some point! Kane was pulling the chords from deeper position and Stevie could make runs. I think that this could be very useful at times. Either we try to bring a change or even to start like this. But yea, as mentioned before - starting 5 at the back does not leave too much room for change - we have 3 forward players and Kane-Son-Kulu seem to be starters.

I think that based on past three months (specially last week) I think Bergwijn deserves to come off bench ahead of Moura.

What a luxury to be able to bring him (and Moura too) off the bench. Could be a huge difference maker during the stretch run. I’ve always liked Stevie, he just came at a bad time and is behind a world class player in Son.

Son is behind only Salah in the league in goals scored and combined goals and assists. Tough to be the understudy to that guy, especially considering our lack of cup football this year.

Not only that - on top of Son's great output Kulu has 2 goals and 5 assists to his name after 758 EPL minutes played. It means either scoring or assisting once for every 108 minutes.

If such frequency would be kept across the same amount of playing time... then he would also have 21 goal contributions so far...

And Kane is enigma. Player on his own level. Superb footballer with so wide skillset that... you know, no point of even mentioning him.

So competition is more than tough. But like I concluded in previous post - for me Berg should be off the bench ahead of Moura.

Berg, Berg wine - I start to mouth this quietly and he seems to score straight away.

I Love You Reaction GIF

He will stay and he will become a key player for us, a bit like how Son became a key player for us over time, even though some wrote him off and amusingly didn't think he was good enough for us early on depite all the signs being there. It's the same with this guy, he is a talent and will get better, reach new levels.

He will stay and he will become a key player for us, a bit like how Son became a key player for us over time, even though some wrote him off and amusingly didn't think he was good enough for us early on depite all the signs being there. It's the same with this guy, he is a talent and will get better, reach new levels.

Son started putting in good returns in his 2nd season.
Bergwijn is in his 3rd (Jan sining).

8 goals from 77 appearances.
Son was 29 goals after 87 (2 seasons)

More comparable to Lamela than Son.

Back
Top Bottom