The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can't be a Spurs fan if you're not looking

You can't be a Spurs fan and not be at least apprehensive about Sunday. But you're right. Conte really has changed the mentality of the club. I think we would have lost the NLD under any of our previous managers.

Still not getting carried away yet 😬
The nerves are borne out from years of seeing similar scenarios play out... only for us (or Bayern) to blow it when we needed a result most!

It's no co-incidence that everyone keeps mentioning Lasagne, because up to now, that has to be the single worst end of season controversy involving Spurs. It was awful, truly awful... and having to live through it, and the laughs, and jibes thrown our way from gloating Gooner pricks whose cunt club either got lucky, or blatantly cheated and affected the result spoke volumes about their odious breed of support (see below!)

As it is, the striking difference between THIS end of season, and all the previous almost-nearly-woulda-could-shoula endings that didn't go our way, is a Manager who doesn't know the meaning of giving in, or taking it easy, or half-pace...
Conte will make SURE we give absolutely everything on the final day.

It's in OUR hands again, and at THE most cruicial time of the season.
So for the first time in a month, we don't have to worry about what that lot are doing... or permutations, or whether Everton have nothing to play for by Sunday, or if 'agent'-Vieira is gonna throw the game on Thursday to help his old club...
we focus on the job in hand, our hands - and it's done!

GUTTED

‘That’s how bad it is’ – Tottenham taking fourth place ‘like wife running off with school bully’, says Woolwich hero Perry Groves​

Woolwich legend Perry Groves says the prospect of losing fourth place to Tottenham is like ‘your wife running off with the school bully’.

The Gunners all-but handed Champions League qualification to their north London rivals with a toothless 2-0 defeat at Newcastle on Monday night.

Having demolished Woolwich last Thursday, Spurs now require only a draw against rock-bottom Norwich on the final day of the Premier League season to seal what looked like an unlikely top-four finish.

Antonio Conte’s men were four points adrift of Mikel Arteta’s side before the north London derby and destiny has been in Woolwich’s hands for months.

“It hurts. It’s like finding out your wife is going to leave you,” Gunners legend Groves told the Sports Bar.

“It’s not like she’s running away with your best friend, it’s like she’s running away with the person who used to bully you at school.

“That’s how bad it is. That’s how dark I feel.”

The former winger, who made more than 150 appearances for Woolwich, insists the performance at Newcastle was worse than the north London derby defeat.

While Woolwich were damaged by a controversial penalty and an early red card for Rob Holding at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, they were simply outplayed at St James’ Park and there could be no excuses.

“I actually think tonight was worse,” Groves added. “It’s horrible getting beat by your local rivals and we know the animosity that goes on.

“But tonight, there’s no reaction. With a group of young players, there was no belief.

“First 20 minutes against Spurs was OK. The penalty and red card changed the game.

“Aaron Ramsdale summed up how Woolwich were feeling at Newcastle, in the first 20 minutes, he looked very nervy.

“It’s a bit of know-how. Can you ride through these tough periods?

“When you’re under pressure, all the top teams know how to win those games. Even if you’re not playing particularly well and you have to scrap it out.”

Groves added: “At the beginning of the season, if you were offered two wins to get into top four, every Woolwich fan would’ve snapped your hand off.

“Then you get there, and with three games to go, you’re four points in front of Spurs and you let it slip.

“Woolwich have excellent young players but there’s a lack of leadership.”
I think the glaring omission with this 'whitewashing of history' is that Groves conveniently forgets that HIS club were our 'school bullies' for nigh on 20years...

This isn't us bullying them... this is OUR REVENGE!

If he wants an analogy, I'd say it's more like Spurs fans going on Facebook, and seeing that the despicable class bully is now a fat, bald loner who sits at home getting angry at the telly!

Last edited:
I just hope contes sometimes cautious approach isn’t what we do. Go for jugular win the game by HT. we can’t keep plodding around with a 1-0 and leave risk of a late come back by Norwich. Put it to bed!

https://www.skysports.com/football/tottenham-hotspur-vs-Woolwich/446505

Can you give me an example of a game where we tried to win 1-0?
Above is a list of most of our wins in the last couple of months. 25 goals scored.
We beat Burnley 1-0 for sure. We had 21 shots - we had as many on target as they had all game. We had almost 70% of the ball. 1-0 was actually very flattering to them. 2 absolutely outstanding saves by their keeper stopped it being a 3-0 walk in the park. Quite a few of the off target shots were close as well.

Don't confuse a deliberate game plan to draw teams out of their half in order to give our attackers space to move and score.

Really can't beat CL nights.. any trophy would be great to win obviously, but people who claim that top 4 is a fetish and the Poch years were a failure are clueless. Will never forget the excitement and tension of our tie vs Juventus. Really excited today, it's been a tough slog watching this team the last two years and it's great to see us on the rise again.

Oh Lord, the memes and banter would be out of control

I ssi the same just now the Darren Bent who is trying to spin this whole thing into Woolwich having achieved something, it's a failure which ever way you want to look at it.
This is why we can’t be overconfident until it’s done on Sunday imo. To fall flat on our faces at the last hurdle would be insufferable. Over the season I think we have deserved top 4 over that lot. We didn’t lose a game to the big two teams and whilst our form has been otherwise patchy, our goal difference is pretty damn good. When we have shown up at games, we have done really well with a tired squad that needs some new blood.
It’s the mark of just how good Conte is to get such a tune out of this squad. Please don’t fuck it up now Spurs!

This morning journalist Charlie Eccleshare retweeted his prediction from end of February that Spurs would take 4th place.

Some of the responses he got at the time make great reading like ;

I notice a couple of tweeters have added a tweet since the end of the game last night : can't think why !

GUTTED

‘That’s how bad it is’ – Tottenham taking fourth place ‘like wife running off with school bully’, says Woolwich hero Perry Groves​

Woolwich legend Perry Groves says the prospect of losing fourth place to Tottenham is like ‘your wife running off with the school bully’.

The Gunners all-but handed Champions League qualification to their north London rivals with a toothless 2-0 defeat at Newcastle on Monday night.

Having demolished Woolwich last Thursday, Spurs now require only a draw against rock-bottom Norwich on the final day of the Premier League season to seal what looked like an unlikely top-four finish.

Antonio Conte’s men were four points adrift of Mikel Arteta’s side before the north London derby and destiny has been in Woolwich’s hands for months.

“It hurts. It’s like finding out your wife is going to leave you,” Gunners legend Groves told the Sports Bar.

“It’s not like she’s running away with your best friend, it’s like she’s running away with the person who used to bully you at school.

“That’s how bad it is. That’s how dark I feel.”

The former winger, who made more than 150 appearances for Woolwich, insists the performance at Newcastle was worse than the north London derby defeat.

While Woolwich were damaged by a controversial penalty and an early red card for Rob Holding at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, they were simply outplayed at St James’ Park and there could be no excuses.

“I actually think tonight was worse,” Groves added. “It’s horrible getting beat by your local rivals and we know the animosity that goes on.

“But tonight, there’s no reaction. With a group of young players, there was no belief.

“First 20 minutes against Spurs was OK. The penalty and red card changed the game.

“Aaron Ramsdale summed up how Woolwich were feeling at Newcastle, in the first 20 minutes, he looked very nervy.

“It’s a bit of know-how. Can you ride through these tough periods?

“When you’re under pressure, all the top teams know how to win those games. Even if you’re not playing particularly well and you have to scrap it out.”

Groves added: “At the beginning of the season, if you were offered two wins to get into top four, every Woolwich fan would’ve snapped your hand off.

“Then you get there, and with three games to go, you’re four points in front of Spurs and you let it slip.

“Woolwich have excellent young players but there’s a lack of leadership.”

How has destiny been in their hands for months?
When we lost 0-1 to Brighton - 1 month ago. We were 3 points ahead of them with +10 GD advantage over them. They had 1 game in hand so still couldn't realistically get above us.
They didn't put it in their own destiny until the 0-0 Vs Brentford on the 23rd. And Even then it was equally in our own hands as theirs - same number of games, 2 points ahead with a game against each other.
They have probably had a week or 2 where it was genuinely in their own hands regardless as to the NLD.

When's the Champions League draw?

Go On What GIF by Originals

The average number of points a 4th placed team got over the last 3 years is about 68 points.

...... and Spurs have 68 points before the Norwich match.

So whilst we definitely should look to be winning the last match we'd be really unlucky NOT to get 4th given our points achievement so far

This is why we can’t be overconfident until it’s done on Sunday imo. To fall flat on our faces at the last hurdle would be insufferable. Over the season I think we have deserved top 4 over that lot. We didn’t lose a game to the big two teams and whilst our form has been otherwise patchy, our goal difference is pretty damn good. When we have shown up at games, we have done really well with a tired squad that needs some new blood.
It’s the mark of just how good Conte is to get such a tune out of this squad. Please don’t fuck it up now Spurs!

But why?

We have qualified for the CL 5 times 8 seasons for God's sake lol what we normally bottle is trophies but CL qualifying when we have been on a race we have normally navigated it fine.

This morning journalist Charlie Eccleshare retweeted his prediction from end of February that Spurs would take 4th place.

Some of the responses he got at the time make great reading like ;

I notice a couple of tweeters have added a tweet since the end of the game last night : can't think why !

To be fair it was pretty ballsy at the time to predict that but having Conte anything is possible.

Can you give me an example of a game where we tried to win 1-0?
Above is a list of most of our wins in the last couple of months. 25 goals scored.
We beat Burnley 1-0 for sure. We had 21 shots - we had as many on target as they had all game. We had almost 70% of the ball. 1-0 was actually very flattering to them. 2 absolutely outstanding saves by their keeper stopped it being a 3-0 walk in the park. Quite a few of the off target shots were close as well.

Don't confuse a deliberate game plan to draw teams out of their half in order to give our attackers space to move and score.
Yup o get your point I was more thinking we could do without the edgy nail biting 1-0 win/performance we got v Burnley. Just need to be ruthless.

Especially if Everton still have the relegation battle on.

I do feel positive about Sunday but the ghosts of our recent past aren't easy (for me) to shake off. Having said that, we now have a manager who is determined to succeed and has instilled that mentality on the squad.

I'm cautiously optimistic or maybe optimistically cautious!
We all suffer Post Traumatic Spurs Disorder

Imposible not to

Back
Top Bottom