The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nah its BS really, they had everything go for them, no European football, knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round, us and Utd changing managers mid season whilst West Ham and Leicester had European football as well...not to mention spending the most money in the Summer AND having the audacity to call off the original NLD to give themselves more rest.

They played 44 matches this season, and at one point after match day 20 were 6 points up with a game in hand over us with a +7 GD.

To not get top 4 considering those circumstances is a fucking disgrace whether they're a young team or not.
Imagine if that had been us?
:conteshock:

If we had to win i would be a bit worried. But we don’t even need to push for the win.
That makes it more dangerous especially with our almost slow and sometimes sloppy play. Need to be on it from the first minute. No dier stroking the ball around at centimetre speed. Norwich have to to play fir so makes them dangerous. To underestimate them and get arrogant that we have already won the game is a sure way to disaster. Look what happened v Brighton and Brentford.

Pretty clear I've stated why I think there's a difference between posts borne out of frustration at a loss and posts gleefully made after a good result. One is just venting, the other is very clearly going out of your way to gloat despite it being good for the club.
He spent the whole night gloating and goading other people mate while most of us just enjoyed the moment.
He even tagged and abused me out of nowhere after I'd consciously avoided him for months
Still fluffing the abhorrent, part-time plastic Mr John Thomas John Thomas ?
#W#Worm-Lyfe

Maybe him being forced to choke on some Saudi cock after endlessly and morally ranting against the takeover was just too much for him last night. 🤷‍♂️

When we complete the job on Sunday , hopefully he and a few others can be happy and just party like the rest of us.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Last edited:
He spent the whole night gloating and goading other people mate while most of us just enjoyed the moment.
He even tagged and abused me out of nowhere after I'd consciously avoided him for months

Maybe him being forced to choke on some Saudi cock after endlessly ranting against the takeover was just too much for him last night. 🤷‍♂️

When we complete the job on Sunday , hopefully he and a few others can be happy and just party like the rest of us.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
That did make me chuckle too. Thinking of him & all those very moral people who were deeply emotional & effected by the Saudi takeover. Suddenly having to cheer them on & getting immense pleasure out of them winning!
No wonder it pushed him over the edge & he went on a weird spiral of gloating & goading!
As you say, hopefully on Sunday he can try to enjoy us sealing top 4 rather than only being able to enjoy gloating & goading others.

They have taken 1 point from the last 5 games.
They have conceded 79 goals.
They have won 5 games all season long.
They're barely capable of being difficult to play against.
If we go there for a draw, then we deserve to be in the Ropey league.
I just hope contes sometimes cautious approach isn’t what we do. Go for jugular win the game by HT. we can’t keep plodding around with a 1-0 and leave risk of a late come back by Norwich. Put it to bed!

I’m saving all gloating and goading for gooners, hammers and United fans thank you very much.
No time for cunt offs on here. There is serious work to be done with oppo fans as soon as 4th place is home and hosed. I’m busting a gut trying to keep it all in until then, but this is a well trodden path. I’m extremely confident we will get it over the line and if we don’t, we don’t deserve it. Come Sunday evening, I’ve got all my “commiseration” comments lined up
:mourhandlaugh:

That makes it more dangerous especially with our almost slow and sometimes sloppy play. Need to be on it from the first minute. No dier stroking the ball around at centimetre speed. Norwich have to to play fir so makes them dangerous. To underestimate them and get arrogant that we have already won the game is a sure way to disaster. Look what happened v Brighton and Brentford.
You are right that over confidence, complacency & slow sloppy play can stop us. I did think 4th was in the bag before the Brighton & Brentford games. So I understand you being cautious! I got cocky about us getting top 4 & then it blew up in my face.
But I really feel conte will make sure they are on it this time & also Norwich are a lot weaker than Brentford & Brighton. So I think we will win 3-0, something like that.
But yes if we start slow with sloppy passing from dier then the nerves will kick in! Start as we mean to go on! That’s what I think Woolwich got wrong yesterday & then it was too late. They couldn’t shake themselves out of it.

I’m saving all gloating and goading for gooners, hammers and United fans thank you very much.
No time for cunt offs on here. There is serious work to be done with oppo fans as soon as 4th place is home and hosed. I’m busting a gut trying to keep it all in until then, but this is a well trodden path. I’m extremely confident we will get it over the line and if we don’t, we don’t deserve it. Come Sunday evening, I’ve got all my “commiseration” comments lined up
:mourhandlaugh:
You have far too much self control and discipline sir.

‘THE MOST SPURSY OF SPURSY THINGS’: IAN WRIGHT SENDS MESSAGE TO TOTTENHAM AHEAD OF NORWICH​

Ian Wright has claimed that Tottenham would do ‘the most Spursy of Spursy things’ if they dropped points at Norwich on the final day of the season.

Woolwich suffered a 2-0 defeat to Newcastle on Monday night to put destiny in Tottenham’s hands regarding Champions League football.

Antonio Conte’s side simply have to earn a point against already-relegated Norwich City on the final day of the season and they secure fourth.

Added with Tottenham’s goal difference, they are also currently two points ahead of their north London rivals heading into the final weekend of the season.

Wright told Premier League Productions (16/05/22 at 10:05 pm) that the top-four is ‘gone’ for Woolwich and if Spurs mess this one up then it would be the ‘craziest’ of things.

“I do think it’s gone,” said Wright. “What we have to realise is that it was in their hands. Even with the three losses, then they got three great wins.

“If you are going to take these last two games, you knew exactly what you needed to do against Tottenham.

“That would be the most Spursy of Spursy things if they lose to Norwich, even if they drew to Norwich. It’s no way Spurs aren’t winning that game.

“Son has to score a couple of goals for the Golden Boot. Spurs are in. That would be the craziest.”

Let’s be honest, if Spurs did what Woolwich have done recently regarding the top-four race, then there’s only one tag – ‘Spursy’ – that would have been thrown at them.

Of course, that could still happen if they somehow manage to shoot themselves in the foot against Dean Smith’s men on Sunday.

But it seems as though Conte has worked wonders with this Tottenham side after they seemed down and out when he was first appointed before Christmas.

The summer transfer window is going to feel a lot better for one side of London compared to the other because Tottenham’s chances of landing the elite players has increased big time.

You can't be a Spurs fan if you're not looking
Usually I’d be dead worried about us losing somehow against a weak Norwich in a one off match . But I think it’s conte that has really given me confidence that he will make sure the players are right & will make sure they do what’s required. The difference when you have a manager you trust & have confidence in. For me it’s the first one since poch.
You can't be a Spurs fan and not be at least apprehensive about Sunday. But you're right. Conte really has changed the mentality of the club. I think we would have lost the NLD under any of our previous managers.

Still not getting carried away yet 😬

You lucky boy

laura-woods-at-dazn-matchroom-in-london-07-27-2021-0.jpg

Honestly don't give a shit that she's a gooner. She's red hot. She's even got a sexy voice and she knows her stuff. Hope she has a long and successful career in the media. I hope she gets more work than the endless stream of ex women players who can barely string a sentence together. Leanne Sanders.

Anyway

Today be like

Fail Good Morning GIF by Natalie Palamides
Good Morning GIF by Travis

GUTTED

‘That’s how bad it is’ – Tottenham taking fourth place ‘like wife running off with school bully’, says Woolwich hero Perry Groves​

Woolwich legend Perry Groves says the prospect of losing fourth place to Tottenham is like ‘your wife running off with the school bully’.

The Gunners all-but handed Champions League qualification to their north London rivals with a toothless 2-0 defeat at Newcastle on Monday night.

Having demolished Woolwich last Thursday, Spurs now require only a draw against rock-bottom Norwich on the final day of the Premier League season to seal what looked like an unlikely top-four finish.

Antonio Conte’s men were four points adrift of Mikel Arteta’s side before the north London derby and destiny has been in Woolwich’s hands for months.

“It hurts. It’s like finding out your wife is going to leave you,” Gunners legend Groves told the Sports Bar.

“It’s not like she’s running away with your best friend, it’s like she’s running away with the person who used to bully you at school.

“That’s how bad it is. That’s how dark I feel.”

The former winger, who made more than 150 appearances for Woolwich, insists the performance at Newcastle was worse than the north London derby defeat.

While Woolwich were damaged by a controversial penalty and an early red card for Rob Holding at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, they were simply outplayed at St James’ Park and there could be no excuses.

“I actually think tonight was worse,” Groves added. “It’s horrible getting beat by your local rivals and we know the animosity that goes on.

“But tonight, there’s no reaction. With a group of young players, there was no belief.

“First 20 minutes against Spurs was OK. The penalty and red card changed the game.

“Aaron Ramsdale summed up how Woolwich were feeling at Newcastle, in the first 20 minutes, he looked very nervy.

“It’s a bit of know-how. Can you ride through these tough periods?

“When you’re under pressure, all the top teams know how to win those games. Even if you’re not playing particularly well and you have to scrap it out.”

Groves added: “At the beginning of the season, if you were offered two wins to get into top four, every Woolwich fan would’ve snapped your hand off.

“Then you get there, and with three games to go, you’re four points in front of Spurs and you let it slip.

“Woolwich have excellent young players but there’s a lack of leadership.”

Back
Top Bottom