England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Uh .. France, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Portugal etc also have some pretty talented squads .. especially France. And even if you do have the most talented squad winning a world cup is a big obstacle, you need a lot of luck.

If all goes to plan we probably get France in the quarters, as long as we're competitive in that game then I don't think the tournament should be considered a failure.

We’ll beat them. I’ve never been so certain about England winning something as this tournament. I don’t trust Southgate but I trust Kane and a few others.

I used to think that about Maddison but this season his on and off the ball work has been outstanding at least in the 8-10 games I have watched Leicester. He has massively improved his weaker areas.

He was always going to have to improve that part of his game under Rodgers. But Mount is a managers dream. You can definitely make a very strong argument of him getting in ahead of Grealish right now.

Uh .. France, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Portugal etc also have some pretty talented squads .. especially France. And even if you do have the most talented squad winning a world cup is a big obstacle, you need a lot of luck.

If all goes to plan we probably get France in the quarters, as long as we're competitive in that game then I don't think the tournament should be considered a failure.

WC or fail is brutal.

However...... The stars were alligned at the Euro's....... And Gary blew it.

WC or fail is brutal.

However...... The stars were alligned at the Euro's....... And Gary blew it.

Harsh. Italy were great all tournament, we were defending a set piece properly away from winning the whole thing. Or a decent couple of penalties away. I've been critical of Southgate (he has fundamental limitations) but it's hard to argue with the results.

Harsh. Italy were great all tournament, we were defending a set piece properly away from winning the whole thing. Or a decent couple of penalties away.

But it should never have been that close..... They were so there for the beating.

Game management was crap. He froze...... Same as it was against Croatia in the WC.

I don't hold the WC against him, but he didn't learn his lesson.

I've been critical of Southgate (he has fundamental limitations) but it's hard to argue with the results.

Indeed (See above.).

I think he's done a lot of good, but we're already at his ceiling.

Indeed (See above.).

I think he's done a lot of good, but we're already at his ceiling.

The issue is we have nowhere to go with it. Sacking him would be ludicrous because he's clearly ultra popular with the squad and reached the final. We also lack top coaches as a country, Howe would have been a good one but he's now got a job. Hiring a foreign coach isn't happening after Capello.

Southgate is what he is. Like I said, limited but clever at working the media & has the squad fully behind him.

The issue is we have nowhere to go with it. Sacking him would be ludicrous because he's clearly ultra popular with the squad and reached the final. We also lack top coaches as a country, Howe would have been a good one but he's now got a job. Hiring a foreign coach isn't happening after Capello.

Southgate is what he is. Like I said, limited but clever at working the media & has the squad fully behind him.

In true FA fashion they (once again) gave him a new contract before the big tournament.

Expires Dec 2024...... I expect him to see it out.

You do like to talk nonsense.

We were battering them in the first half after an early goal....

They couldn't cope with our pace and energy.

The final was on home turf.

"Stars were aligned"

The players got nosebleeds from being that high up the footballing ladder

Walker
Stones
Trippier
Sterling
Mount
+ Henderson (subbed on)

Much of the starting XI have won big trophies at the top of the game.

+ Sancho, Rashford & Shaw also have trophies to their name.

"You do like to talk nonsense."

Last edited:
We were battering then in the first half after an early goal....

They couldn't cope with our pace and energy.

The final was on home turf.

"Stars were aligned"

Walker
Stones
Trippier
Sterling
Mount
+ Henderson (subbed on)

Much of the starting XI have won big trophies at the top of the game.

+ Sancho, Rashford & Shaw also have trophies to their name.

"You do like to talk nonsense."
and everyone agrees that international football is just like club football...............

Oh - no, actually they don't!

Your nonsense was that GARETH Southgate was out of his depth and got things wrong, but you see, he didn't play in the game, and he was clearly frustrated at the the timid and negative play that was served up, or...

- are you suggesting that he said - if you score in the first 5 minutes, retreat into your shell and pray that they don't equalise?

Because - if you are trying to suggest that he wasn't a good enough manager - then how the hell did he get them into a world cup semi - and then into a European cup final? Pretty much any international team manager in the world would donate vital organs to manage that particular achievement.

My argument in his defence falls apart at the point where he selects Cody, Maguire and Justin ahead of Dier. However, his track record suggests that he is more likely to be right than me. My record at managing the English national football team is abysmal.

What is yours like - remind me.......

If Dier doesn't go the WC then from a Spurs perspective I'd be very happy as the half season before WC and after will be pretty brutal in terms of match scheduling so to have Dier (and Sessegnon and probably Skipp) not going to WC will be great as they will get a month's break whilst WC is going on and be fresh for restart of PL season.

But feel sorry for Dier as a player who has had a great season and deserves a place over a couple who Southgate has chosen. Just my opinion of course

and everyone agrees that international football is just like club football...............

Oh - no, actually they don't!

Your nonsense was that GARETH Southgate was out of his depth and got things wrong, but you see, he didn't play in the game, and he was clearly frustrated at the the timid and negative play that was served up, or...

- are you suggesting that he said - if you score in the first 5 minutes, retreat into your shell and pray that they don't equalise?

Because - if you are trying to suggest that he wasn't a good enough manager - then how the hell did he get them into a world cup semi - and then into a European cup final? Pretty much any international team manager in the world would donate vital organs to manage that particular achievement.

My argument in his defence falls apart at the point where he selects Cody, Maguire and Justin ahead of Dier. However, his track record suggests that he is more likely to be right than me. My record at managing the English national football team is abysmal.

What is yours like - remind me.......

So to summarise....

It can't have been GS's fault cos he's not a player and therefor managerial weakness/mistakes can't exist.... Even though in your own words your defense "falls apart" cos he can/does make mistakes.....???

....And one must have previously managed England to be afforded an opinion?

Yeh, you're really rockin' this one, Mick.

Equally, who are you to question the abilities/mentality of the players? .......Afterall; you're not a pro.

It's been a pleasure as always. 'Nite.

Last edited:
So to summarise....

It can't have been GS's fault cos he's not a player and therefor managerial weakness/mistakes can't exist.... Even though in your own words your defense "falls apart" cos he can/does make mistakes.....???

....And one must have previously managed England to be afforded an opinion?

Yeh, you're really rockin' this one, Mick.

Equally, who are you to question the abilities/mentality of the players? .......Afterall; you're not a pro.

It's been a pleasure as always. 'Nite.
Was that you thinking you took me to the cleaners, was it?
If so it was about as accurate as your analysis of the game.
You don't know when to shut up, or when you are out of your depth. You have an "opinion" on everything, as your 80K posts testify.
What you don't understand is that just because it's what you post, doesn't mean to say it becomes fact.
You're like that Harry Enfield character "you don't want to do it like that"
Italy played with intensity and passion and England lost their way and sat back against the ropes and took the blows, looking too scared of over committing.
I doubt Southgate told them to do that - in an international final of that magnitude.

But hey, you know fucking EVERYTHING, so "that's me told!"

I didn't say Southgate had unequivocally made a mistake, I said that his track record as an international manager was better than mine, he's both played for and managed his countries football team and has the best managerial record for tournament progress amongst all other English managers bar Ramsey.
You however, declare him to be a fraud.

Which doesn't make you come across as a pompous and ignorant blowhard in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom