Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This obsession over penalty goals and level of opponent is tiring.
No one cares when you’re scoring goals against teams like Pacos, Mura, Albania and San Marino. Hell no one cares if you’re scoring against Europa league teams. If they did care, we would have signed Carlos Vinicius to a deal as he had more goals per min played (10 goals in just 1009 mins) than any Spurs player last season.

Penalties matter less when comparing players because a penalty is a high probability/xG shot that literally anyone can convert. The average is something like a 75% conversion rate. Every top attacker gets their fair share of opportunities for tap ins, and easy 1v1s etc but only one player on a team takes penalties. That said, players that take penalties have inflated goal numbers relative to players that don’t. There is very simple and obvious reasoning as to why people omit them when comparing a player that takes them and one that doesn’t.

This obsession over penalty goals and level of opponent is tiring.
I know. Everyone raves about Salah but how many of his goals are pens? And he has been missing in big games for Liverpool too. He scores goals against good teams of course, but a huge number of his tallies are against "weaker" opposition. You know, like all the good players.

I know. Everyone raves about Salah but how many of his goals are pens? And he has been missing in big games for Liverpool too. He scores goals against good teams of course, but a huge number of his tallies are against "weaker" opposition. You know, like all the good players.
He scored against all top clubs except us.
He scores alot against tougher teams.....

Do non-penalty score more? No! Is a penalty a guaranteed goal? No! So until that situation changes, this argument of penalty versus non-penalty goals is like a blunt pencil - pointless!
All I know is that if I needed one player to score a penalty to win a game, then I'd want Harry Kane to take it.

Do non-penalty score more? No! Is a penalty a guaranteed goal? No! So until that situation changes, this argument of penalty versus non-penalty goals is like a blunt pencil - pointless!
All I know is that if I needed one player to score a penalty to win a game, then I'd want Harry Kane to take it.
In my view pens are somewhat lesser. It's not black and white. It's a bit like when Jan got the assist for Son's wondergoal against Burnley. Just cos football stats can't represent that nuance doesn't mean it isn't there.

Anyway, I agree, pens are not guaranteed goals. We knocked City out the CL cos they missed a pen, we finished top 4 over Arse (2019?) cos Aboomerang missed a pen. Thank god we've got Kane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kane tied for first in terms of total goal contributions over the last 2 seasons.
Son and Kane #1 and #2 ex penalties.
Expect Kulusexy to be on this list at some point in the near future.
The Son/Kulu connection is just getting started.
We've got the best front 3 in the league.

Strange to pick a random 2 year period to talk about stats. Why not 1 year, 3 year, 4 year , 5 year.. Maybe the stat guy was a Kane fan.

Harry Kane’s hunger for competition drives him on despite lack of rest

The England captain and avid golfer will tee off in a Ryder Cup-style event for sports stars during his short three-week break

1357.jpg

Harry Kane is expected to make his 62nd and final appearance of the season against Hungary

Why does Harry Kane get hated by so many rivals? Obviously jealousy is a major part, but there must be more to it. Regardless of what he does, records he breaks etc, he is always given stick by utter morons.

Is it a Spurs hating issue? As let’s be honest, we are clearly a club everyone seems to be obsessed with and takes the piss banter wise. If it’s not the obsession over Kane’s trophies, it’s “he only scores penalties and tap ins”. It’s absolutely pathetic.

Is it a racial issue? Seems to get a lot of stick from Woolwich African keyboard warriors on Twitter. English hating issue? But, then moron England supporters who support rival clubs also hate him.

I honestly think if his name was Kaneinho from Sao Paolo, he would be much more respected. I think the level of disrespect is disgusting. He is a normal family guy, never gets involved with anything outside of football, superb role model and one of the best strikers on the planet. Why so much hate? It’s baffling

Last edited:
Why does Harry Kane get hated by so many rivals? Obviously jealousy is a major part, but there must be more to it. Regardless of what he does, records he breaks etc, he is always given stick by utter morons.

Is it a Spurs hating issue? As let’s be honest, we are clearly a club everyone seems to be obsessed with and takes the piss banter wise. If it’s not the obsession over Kane’s trophies, it’s “he only scores penalties and tap ins”. It’s absolutely pathetic.

Is it a racial issue? Seems to get a lot of stick from Woolwich African keyboard warriors on Twitter. English hating issue? But, then moron England supporters who support rival clubs also hate him.

I honestly think if his name was Kaneinho from Sao Paolo, he would be much more respected. I think the level of disrespect is disgusting. He is a normal family guy, never gets involved with anything outside of football, superb role model and one of the best strikers on the planet. Why so much hate? It’s baffling
*checks notes*

"Because he spits when he talks".

I think the Scouse hatred is from that 2-2 where he was adjudged to have dived. Like Salah hasn't made a career out of it, of how Sterling nearly won them the league doing it.

Not sure about the rest. Outside of jealousy.

*checks notes*

"Because he spits when he talks".

I think the Scouse hatred is from that 2-2 where he was adjudged to have dived. Like Salah hasn't made a career out of it, of how Sterling nearly won them the league doing it.

Not sure about the rest. Outside of jealousy.

There’s more to it mate. Shearer never got this hate. Ok, granted there was no social media. But, I don’t see any rival fan give stick like they do Kane

For some reason I’m quite worried about the World Cup causing some serious fatigue for everyone, but Kane in particular.

Can just see Southgate driving him into the ground, and while we do seem to be seriously looking for a back up player this year, let’s not kid ourselves that Kane will still put up some serious minutes.

No one cares when you’re scoring goals against teams like Pacos, Mura, Albania and San Marino. Hell no one cares if you’re scoring against Europa league teams. If they did care, we would have signed Carlos Vinicius to a deal as he had more goals per min played (10 goals in just 1009 mins) than any Spurs player last season.

Penalties matter less when comparing players because a penalty is a high probability/xG shot that literally anyone can convert. The average is something like a 75% conversion rate. Every top attacker gets their fair share of opportunities for tap ins, and easy 1v1s etc but only one player on a team takes penalties. That said, players that take penalties have inflated goal numbers relative to players that don’t. There is very simple and obvious reasoning as to why people omit them when comparing a player that takes them and one that doesn’t.

Mate, you take football way way way to serious. There’s more to life. Go get your dick wet ffs

He's English, and there are plenty of anti-English people around for different reasons. He talks a bit funny if you're a retard, and there are lots of those around. He also isn't a speed merchant. Never has been and obviously never will be. FIFA gaming virgins all around the globe also think that a player can only be world-class if they are quick and do stepovers.

I spent a few minutes thinking about this and I think you're right, and that for a certain type of person, Kane's relatability is really just a trigger for their own insecurities. It's probably easier for some people to watch "Kaneinho" play and think about exotic and wonderful his life is, flying private jets and driving luxury cars. Kane on the other hand is one of our own, mostly resembling the average joe and married to his high-school sweetheart. In a word, one of us worked hard and made it to the highest levels of achievement, so what the fuck is wrong with you, then? It's cognitive dissonance at work. Appreciating Kane would be admitting personal failure and inadequacy, so he's nothing special. He's slow. He's not flashy. He only scores tap-ins and penalties mostly, so why does he get so much attention when he's not world class and hasn't won anything? If only people would stop talking about Kane, they'd feel a lot more comfortable watching the Brazilian import who's not relatable to their situation at all.

edit: I think this theory is a particularly good fit for that type of social-media warrior that has wasted their life away on the internet feeling unappreciated for their hot takes; i.e. exactly the loudest, most obnoxious, and most readily identifiable opposing fans on the internet that we all like to laugh at.

Last edited:
What is botegate doing flooding kane? This was over ages ago england have created f all and yet his playing the full game. Surely he could have subbed him for Tammy early on?
This guy hasn’t got a clue bringing on mason at every opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom