Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

e4e7b9774d2ac4aa4a778ac258a2bcf9.jpg

How Chelsea use diet to help develop academy players at Cobham​

Nizaar KinsellaJun 01, 2022 09:05+02:00

The Blues employ a holistic approach to healthy eating at the club, as Performance Nutritionist Ollie Turner tells GOAL in an exclusive interview

Chelsea are in the business of winning, and that means constantly pursuing excellence on all fronts.

Indeed, talk to anyone at Cobham and they will tell you that they want to be the best at everything they do.

That doesn't just mean scouting and recruiting top young talents, it's also about improving and honing their skills.

It also means educating them on what it takes to make it to the very highest level, showing that what they eat plays a key role in how they will perform.

"There is a no-stone-unturned approach," Chelsea's Performance Nutritionist Ollie Turner tells GOAL.

"We've got a team of practitioners: James Collins is the strategic lead; Andy Casper is there for the first team; and I'm the academy nutritionist.

"The idea is the same philosophy, the same approach to diet, runs from Under-9s to the senior squad. We are really trying to embed good nutritional practices in the players.

"For me, in the academy, it is about preparing the guys for the rigours of the first team. So, they need to have the knowledge and the skills.

"The knowledge might be what types of food to eat and when. The skills are the cooking, which we coach just like the football itself.

"We can show the kids what the first team is doing before and after matches, and apply that to their own preparation.

"The club works extremely hard to develop not just footballers but rounded human beings as well. You really get that sense in the club and nutrition can play a part in that.

"The culture around nutrition is just like the general culture of the club. It isn't a specific demand but it is ingrained."

The commitment to healthy eating is underlined by the fact that the team of chefs at the club isn't just charged with looking after the elite senior sides, but also hundreds of children at under-age level.

"We have a whole catering team headed up by James Adlan, who does a really good job," Turner added. "I am liaising with the chefs all the time to come up with new ideas. We do things like breakfast specials.

"The day before a match might be high in carbs like some pancakes with maple syrup and fruit. We like a variety of meals at lunch for the players and explore different flavours for the players.

"We have a lot of different cultures in our academy, so it is important to cater to everyone. In terms of who eats there, it is all players within the club from Under-12s up. The canteen can get quite busy at times!

"We also provide snacks like flapjack bars and energy balls, which are comprised of dates, fruit pots, snack-a-jacks and rice cakes, so players can snack as well."

It's clear that Chelsea's approach is working, when one considers Mason Mount, Reece James and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are currently flying the flag for the academy in Thomas Tuchel's first team, while fellow Cobham graduates Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham are also excelling in Serie A.

Turner is quick to point out, though, that while they are keen to instil healthy eating habits in all Chelsea players, they are not too harsh on the youngsters.

"We're conscious as practitioners not to be the food police," Turner says. "These guys are kids who are growing up so they won't always eat for performance.

"It is split into different areas with where kids are at in their development so the Under-9s to Under-12s is very much education-based.

"At Under-13s to Under-16s, we become more specific and bring in some recovery strategies.

"From 18s to U23s, it becomes very individualised because people are at different levels with the knowledge, skills and what they need.

"When it comes to going out and getting McDonald's or things like that, I am aware that's okay sometimes.

"It is about giving knowledge about what it will do to your performance and it naturally helps people gravitate towards fruits, vegetables, lean sources of protein and different types of grains like whole grains."

On top of the club's impressive in-house approach to diet, it's also worth noting that the Chelsea Digital Ventures unit has moved into creating consumer-focused products.

Alongside two apps, Perfect Play and C-Score, is a range of sports supplements called Blue Fuel. Such is the quality of the product, the club uses it from Under-18s up, with players constantly given the products in around their matchdays to use them to boost their own performances.

However, it's also sold to the public and Chelsea believe Blue Fuel can become another important revenue stream in the future.

"We enlisted the likes of the head of sports science Jack Christopher and the club nutritionists, and we did blind taste tests with the players and got feedback from the staff," product lead Emma Barraclough explains.

"You can't have a tougher audience than Chelsea's players. An amateur person might take it two or three times a week but our players use this stuff every day. So, you have to have standards with what they are at.

"We wanted to cover a full range of energy, hydration, protein and recovery, while also making it taste great. It has an accompanying app so you can monitor intake along with creating meal plans."

Chelsea believe that his holistic approach to diet can help the club make the marginal gains required to continue competing with the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool in every aspect of the game.

As far as the Blues are concerned, a good meal can be the difference between winning and losing.

For that reason, while Chelsea remain hungry for success, their players are always well fed.

How Chelsea use diet to help develop academy players at Cobham​

Nizaar KinsellaJun 01, 2022 09:05+02:00

The Blues employ a holistic approach to healthy eating at the club, as Performance Nutritionist Ollie Turner tells GOAL in an exclusive interview

Chelsea are in the business of winning, and that means constantly pursuing excellence on all fronts.

Indeed, talk to anyone at Cobham and they will tell you that they want to be the best at everything they do.

That doesn't just mean scouting and recruiting top young talents, it's also about improving and honing their skills.

It also means educating them on what it takes to make it to the very highest level, showing that what they eat plays a key role in how they will perform.

"There is a no-stone-unturned approach," Chelsea's Performance Nutritionist Ollie Turner tells GOAL.

"We've got a team of practitioners: James Collins is the strategic lead; Andy Casper is there for the first team; and I'm the academy nutritionist.

"The idea is the same philosophy, the same approach to diet, runs from Under-9s to the senior squad. We are really trying to embed good nutritional practices in the players.

"For me, in the academy, it is about preparing the guys for the rigours of the first team. So, they need to have the knowledge and the skills.

"The knowledge might be what types of food to eat and when. The skills are the cooking, which we coach just like the football itself.

"We can show the kids what the first team is doing before and after matches, and apply that to their own preparation.

"The club works extremely hard to develop not just footballers but rounded human beings as well. You really get that sense in the club and nutrition can play a part in that.

"The culture around nutrition is just like the general culture of the club. It isn't a specific demand but it is ingrained."

The commitment to healthy eating is underlined by the fact that the team of chefs at the club isn't just charged with looking after the elite senior sides, but also hundreds of children at under-age level.

"We have a whole catering team headed up by James Adlan, who does a really good job," Turner added. "I am liaising with the chefs all the time to come up with new ideas. We do things like breakfast specials.

"The day before a match might be high in carbs like some pancakes with maple syrup and fruit. We like a variety of meals at lunch for the players and explore different flavours for the players.

"We have a lot of different cultures in our academy, so it is important to cater to everyone. In terms of who eats there, it is all players within the club from Under-12s up. The canteen can get quite busy at times!

"We also provide snacks like flapjack bars and energy balls, which are comprised of dates, fruit pots, snack-a-jacks and rice cakes, so players can snack as well."

It's clear that Chelsea's approach is working, when one considers Mason Mount, Reece James and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are currently flying the flag for the academy in Thomas Tuchel's first team, while fellow Cobham graduates Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham are also excelling in Serie A.

Turner is quick to point out, though, that while they are keen to instil healthy eating habits in all Chelsea players, they are not too harsh on the youngsters.

"We're conscious as practitioners not to be the food police," Turner says. "These guys are kids who are growing up so they won't always eat for performance.

"It is split into different areas with where kids are at in their development so the Under-9s to Under-12s is very much education-based.

"At Under-13s to Under-16s, we become more specific and bring in some recovery strategies.

"From 18s to U23s, it becomes very individualised because people are at different levels with the knowledge, skills and what they need.

"When it comes to going out and getting McDonald's or things like that, I am aware that's okay sometimes.

"It is about giving knowledge about what it will do to your performance and it naturally helps people gravitate towards fruits, vegetables, lean sources of protein and different types of grains like whole grains."

On top of the club's impressive in-house approach to diet, it's also worth noting that the Chelsea Digital Ventures unit has moved into creating consumer-focused products.

Alongside two apps, Perfect Play and C-Score, is a range of sports supplements called Blue Fuel. Such is the quality of the product, the club uses it from Under-18s up, with players constantly given the products in around their matchdays to use them to boost their own performances.

However, it's also sold to the public and Chelsea believe Blue Fuel can become another important revenue stream in the future.

"We enlisted the likes of the head of sports science Jack Christopher and the club nutritionists, and we did blind taste tests with the players and got feedback from the staff," product lead Emma Barraclough explains.

"You can't have a tougher audience than Chelsea's players. An amateur person might take it two or three times a week but our players use this stuff every day. So, you have to have standards with what they are at.

"We wanted to cover a full range of energy, hydration, protein and recovery, while also making it taste great. It has an accompanying app so you can monitor intake along with creating meal plans."

Chelsea believe that his holistic approach to diet can help the club make the marginal gains required to continue competing with the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool in every aspect of the game.

As far as the Blues are concerned, a good meal can be the difference between winning and losing.

For that reason, while Chelsea remain hungry for success, their players are always well fed.
Yeah, this rings true with me, poor eating habits is pretty much the one reason I gave up trying to do any serious weightlifting.

It's bad enough having to eat bland food, but it takes so much time and energy to track your eating habit and actually consume the vast quantities of food.

Not doing so completely tanks your gains.

The food and sleep the night before a game might well be the biggest determining factor for a good game.

Yeah, this rings true with me, poor eating habits is pretty much the one reason I gave up trying to do any serious weightlifting.

It's bad enough having to eat bland food, but it takes so much time and energy to track your eating habit and actually consume the vast quantities of food.

Not doing so completely tanks your gains.

The food and sleep the night before a game might well be the biggest determining factor for a good game.

No matter how many times I hear it, the story about Phelps taking in 8k to 10k calories a day astounds me. I wonder what the intake is for a pro footballer. Anyone know?

No matter how many times I hear it, the story about Phelps taking in 8k to 10k calories a day astounds me. I wonder what the intake is for a pro footballer. Anyone know?
I suspect Phelps doesn't usually consume 10k calories. Those are numbers someone like Brian Shaw does. Though at his peak he was probably closer to 15k.

Brian Shaw:
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2F7b6348a75cb83147727351f989ad28b1.jpg

He and other strongmen have made videos about their diet. They literally eat every hour or two. They take packed lunches to the gym because they need to keep shoveling the food in.

I couldn't find anything definitive with a quick google, but I'm guessing they're in the 6k to 8k range.

Is it just me or have things gone really, really quiet since the takeover was completed, and the initial talk was that the new owners would fund spending? There's more talk about Lukaku leaving than anyone coming in. Love it :conterubhands:

Is it just me or have things gone really, really quiet since the takeover was completed, and the initial talk was that the new owners would fund spending? There's more talk about Lukaku leaving than anyone coming in. Love it :conterubhands:
They probably just went through the books and realised instead of making tons of Money they need to pump in £150 million a year.

:levylol:

Think around 3-4k per day depending on match days recovery etc. Average for the man on the street is about 2500-3000k.
But Modric would not need to eat the same as say Eric Dier.
Footballers are generally very low body fat as well.

Burgers, mayo, Ketchup etc being kicked out of football clubs is a clear sign they are restricting calories in forms of fats / sugars to get “better” calories.

Some youngsters will be told to eat more if they need to bulk up and out on muscle. But generally speaking footballers are not built like swimmers or rugby players or spend as much time doing heavy weights and building a lot of upper body strength. You get the odd ones who break that rule I guess.

Watching this fanbase in the next few years I think will be quite funny. I say this with the full knowledge that in the short term they are a club absolutely choked to the brim with talented players they have hoovered up over the years to stop other Clubs from buying and developing them. I also think that this window will see them splash some money, I think the new owners would have been acutely aware of the £70m per year donations made buy the Russian gangster and it's worth the PR to factor in a big budget spending as part of their purchase.

BUT......

I'd expect us to generate more revenue than them now (we had closed the gap when we were in the CL under Poch) we now are back in CL and have a stadium generating the incomes it was built to do, so probably were +£50m-£80m more than them.

All this means is they are no different to any other Club that's not State-backed, and of those non-State backed companies Man U, Spurs and Liverpool they are behind financially.

Last edited:

Watching this fanbase in the next few years I think will be quite funny. I say this with the full knowledge that in the short term they are a club absolutely choked to the bring with talented players they have hoovered up over the years to stop other Clubs from buying and developing them. I also think that this window will see them splash some money, I think the new owners would have been acutely aware of the £70m per year donations made buy the Russian gangster and it's worth the PR to factor in a big budget spending as part of their purchase.

BUT......

I'd expect us to generate more revenue than them now (we had closed the gap when we were in the CL under Poch) we now are back in CL and have a stadium generating the incomes it was built to do, so probably were +£50m-£80m more than them.

All this means is they are no different to any other Club that's not State-backed, and of those non-State backed companies Man U, Spurs and Liverpool they are behind financially.

IIRC Kounde is now injured too.

Watching this fanbase in the next few years I think will be quite funny. I say this with the full knowledge that in the short term they are a club absolutely choked to the bring with talented players they have hoovered up over the years to stop other Clubs from buying and developing them. I also think that this window will see them splash some money, I think the new owners would have been acutely aware of the £70m per year donations made buy the Russian gangster and it's worth the PR to factor in a big budget spending as part of their purchase.

BUT......

He's frozen ticket prices for next season too, which is different to how they approached the Dodgers where they raise ticket prices so I wonder where they will get the additional income from.

Ahh, that will be it then. Tasteful.

But the worst part of the article is this. More American owners puts a threat to the even TV money spread. If they get a majority of them then they'll pressurise to take tv in-house, which will fuck the league completely.

The acquisition means that next season, for the first time, more than half the 20 teams competing in the English Premier League will be backed by American money. High growth potential and lower valuations relative to sports franchises back home have drawn US investors to the EPL for years.

He's frozen ticket prices for next season too, which is different to how they approached the Dodgers where they raise ticket prices so I wonder where they will get the additional income from.

Ahh, that will be it then. Tasteful.

But the worst part of the article is this. More American owners puts a threat to the even TV money spread. If they get a majority of them then they'll pressurise to take tv in-house, which will fuck the league completely.

The acquisition means that next season, for the first time, more than half the 20 teams competing in the English Premier League will be backed by American money. High growth potential and lower valuations relative to sports franchises back home have drawn US investors to the EPL for years.
Surprise surprise. Typical Chavs - always looking to get rich and fat off misery and woe. They would make foie gras out of football fans given half a chance

Back
Top Bottom