Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So apparently just as we England fans lament the lack of Son for Kane to pass to, Korean fans are crying out for a Kane to pass to Son.

There's a meme that Son and Kane were a couple in their previous life.

Fans slam 'criminal' omission of Tottenham star Son Heung-min in PFA Team of the Year despite him winning the Golden Boot... as others lament Man City midfielder Rodri also not being selected in the Premier League XI​

By LIAM MORGAN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 20:36 BST, 9 June 2022 | UPDATED: 22:30 BST, 9 June 2022

Football fans have slammed the 'criminal' omission of Tottenham star Son Heung-min from the PFA Team of the Year.

Son was not selected in the team, announced at a virtual awards ceremony on Thursday, despite finishing as the Premier League's joint-top goalscorer with Mohamed Salah.

The South Korean and Salah both ended on 23 goals but there was no room for Son in the front three of the divisional XI, voted for by players.

Son was overlooked in favour of Salah, Sadio Mane and Cristiano Ronaldo - a controversial inclusion given Manchester United's dismal campaign.

'No Son in this team is criminal,' one fan said on social media, with a second blasting Son not making the side as a 'disgrace'.

Another added: 'Ronaldo and Mane over Son?', while one fan simply asked: 'Where's Son?'

'Son won the golden boot with no penalties ffs,' another Twitter user said.

58887153-10901789-image-a-13_1654803289153.jpg

58887155-10901789-image-a-14_1654803294899.jpg

58887157-10901789-image-a-15_1654803302701.jpg

Fans on social media were unhappy with Son not featuring in the PFA's divisional XI

Fans on social media were unhappy with Son not featuring in the PFA's divisional XI
Son has also been described as 'one of the most underrated players' in the Premier League following his failure to make the Team of the Year.

Others lamented Manchester City midfielder Rodri not being selected, with Liverpool's Thiago Alcantara included instead.

'How the hell has Rodri not got in,' one Twitter user asked, while another believed Thiago was 'nowhere near' the standard of the City midfielder last term.

'Did Liverpool win the league?' asked one sarcastic social media account.

City were crowned champions on the final day as they pipped Liverpool to the title by a point. The PFA voting closed long before the season ended.

Tottenham superstar Son Heung-min had trials at Portsmouth and Blackburn in 2009 before rise to fame​

• 15:53, 17 Jun 2022
  • Updated: 16:26, 17 Jun 2022
TOTTENHAM forward Son Heung-min has revealed that he had trials at Portsmouth and Blackburn before his rise to superstardom.
The South Korean had been in Europe for one year with Hamburg when he was given an unlikely first taste of English football in 2009.

Aged just 17, Son attended trials at Portsmouth and Blackburn - both Premier League clubs at the time.

The experience proved to be a difficult one, with the future star soon heading back to Germany.

Speaking to the Mail, the popular Spurs star opened up on his first trip to England, revealing: "I had no friends there, no family with me and I couldn't speak the language.

"I didn't know a single word. I was on my own and I was scared, you know. It was tough.

"I had a trial at Portsmouth and one at Blackburn, too.

"They put me in a guest house. But I was a kid and I didn't know anything.

"So that is my first memory of England and it is a bad one."

After returning to Hamburg, Son went on to establish himself in the Bundesliga during the 2010-11 season, eventually prompting Bayer Leverkusen to spend £8.5million on him in 2013.

On his stint in Germany, Son added: "Everybody talks about now but nobody thinks about you when you are 16 and leave your country.

"It was bad and a hard decision, the hardest.

"But I had to make it as those chances don't come every day.

"I didn't feel ready - and I wasn't ready - but I wanted to play in Europe and one day I wanted to play Premier League. I told myself I had to try to make my dreams come true."

After two years at Leverkusen, Son moved to Spurs in a £22m deal.

Following a difficult debut season he has gone from strength to strength, culminating in his Premier League Golden Boot triumph last season.

Son, 29, has bagged 131 goals in 323 appearances for the Lilywhites, also laying on 73 assists.

He has also excelled for his country, earning 100 caps and helping them win the Asian Games in 2018.

Oh boy what a funny tweet!!

Dunno if you actually watch English media but 99% of people here think Son is brilliant & should have been in the toty. Numerous pundits had him as their premier league player of the year. It was the players voting who didn't stick him in there.
I actually agree. Most players in the league and pundits rate Son as one of the best players in the league. The constant "he is underrated" comments he has got over the past 3 or 4 years from Spurs fans and non Spurs fans alike, has meant that he is no longer underrated IMO.

But they did underrate him massively before he signed with Spurs and for his first 2/3 seasons here. . like some on this board. He had 3 consecutive seasons in the bundesliga from the age of 19/20 where he scored 10+ goals. I remember hearing that only Lewandowski, Son and one other player did that over that time period.

I actually agree. Most players in the league and pundits rate Son as one of the best players in the league. The constant "he is underrated" comments he has got over the past 3 or 4 years from Spurs fans and non Spurs fans alike, has meant that he is no longer underrated IMO.

But they did underrate him massively before he signed with Spurs and for his first 2/3 seasons here. . like some on this board. He had 3 consecutive seasons in the bundesliga from the age of 19/20 where he scored 10+ goals. I remember hearing that only Lewandowski, Son and one other player did that over that time period.

He's rated very highly now for sure. Sky did their 'team of the year debate' and both Carragher & Neville had him in there, and the latter made him his player of the year. Pretty sure BT did a similar thing and nearly everyone had him there.

For whatever reason the players didn't do the same. Lack of challenging for trophies/not being called Ronaldo/not being from a football powerhouse or w/e probably caused that. But he's rated by almost every PL fan I've ever spoken to from England.

Being under-rated vs a majority having not heard of him are not the same thing........

Newsflash: The majority of people outside of Germany don't watch the BL.

Last edited:
Being under-rated vs a majority having not heard of him are not the same thing........

Newsflash: Themajority of people outside of Germany don't watch the BL.
Um... no, not sure I would entirely agree with that

By not being heard off.. that in itself is underrating someone because their existence is not even acknowledged (compared to that of say players in the PL etc.. So by default one can only form a very neutral view of a player.

Also at the time the bundesliga was still probably the 3rd most watched football league after the PL and La Liga.

Um... no, not sure I would entirely agree with that

By not being heard off.. that in itself is underrating someone because their existence is not even acknowledged (compared to that of say players in the PL etc.. So by default one can only form a very neutral view of a player.

The clues in the word.... Under-rated.

Meaning a degree of "rating" would need to be taking place in order for an individual under-rate someone.

May sound like semantics, but you can't expect someone to rate a player they've never heard of.

(The phrase is not "un-rated" or "non-rated".)

Also at the time the bundesliga was still probably the 3rd most watched football league after the PL and La Liga.

Most fans in counties that have major leagues watch their own league first and foremost..... After which enters the idea that the BL might get the 3rd best global viewing figures......Ergo my point stands..... The majority of football fans won't won't have been watching enough BL to be aware of their fledgling 19/20 y/old players.

Sooner or later it just needs to be accepted that SK fans are hyper sensitive to Son as their country produces so few star players.

Q. If that 10 goals stat is so memorable on a global basis why can't you remember the 3rd guy's name?

A. Because outside of Germany & SK, it's not a big deal.......

SpursAllTheWay SpursAllTheWay

"Dortmund were and remain the broadcaster’s most-watched German side, but the figures are far more impressive in lockdown Britain. Prior to the lockdown, Dortmund matches were attracting 28,100 average viewers – but that has increased to an average of 276,900 since the return."

.........That's after a projected boost of 985% thanks to lockdown.

That's a miniscule amount of the UK's football-concious populous.

The clues in the word.... Under-rated.

Meaning a degree of "rating" would need to be taking place in order for an individual under-rate someone.

May sound like semantics, but you can't expect someone to rate a player they've never heard of.

(The phrase is not "un-rated" or "non-rated".)

Most fans in counties that have major leagues watch their own league first and foremost..... After which enters the idea that the BL might get the 3rd best global viewing figures......Ergo my point stands..... The majority of football fans won't won't have been watching enough BL to be aware of their fledgling 19/20 y/old players.

Sooner or later it just needs to be accepted that SK fans are hyper sensitive to Son as their country produces so few star players.

Q. If that 10 goals stat is so memorable on a global basis why can't you remember the 3rd guy's name?

A. Because outside of Germany & SK, it's not a big deal.......
All valid points. I just feel by not knowing of someone's existence it is undervaluing them in some ways. Kinda like what we have seen this season with Romero and Kulu IMO.

There is a strong correlation between not knowing of someone or something, and the under appreciation of them.

Just like at work, if my colleagues were receiving praise or rewarded for their work, and I had got the same results without being rewarded.. then of course I would feel under valued or even 'under rated' at work. This is regardless of whether management knew of me or not.

Back
Top Bottom