Clément Lenglet

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For those who are saying this lad is no good, I bet you're the same people that said the same about Kulu.
Was about to post something very similar. I don't pretend to be any expert but from what I have read he has struggled more this season since the change in manager much as we were told Kulu and Bentancur at Juve.

Paratici and Conte's decisions so far have been good and if its true Conte wanted him at Inter then that is good enough for me to give him every chance at Spurs.

So from what I’ve read, he’ll be far happier in the role at Spurs as he’ll be one of three centre backs with two defensive-minded midfielders sat in front of him. He won’t be under the same amount of pressure or expectation as he was at Barcelona. He’ll also have the seasoned vet that is Perisic on-hand nearby and his national team captain behind him.

A full pre-season under Conte and he’ll 100% know what is he is expected to do in game.

All for a small fee. A good deal for everyone.

Get Spence done on Monday and that’ll be an insanely good window. Likely with one or two extra surprise signings before the end.

What a difference a year makes.

Last edited:
If Conte and his coaching staff can improve his defensive movement and physicality to premier league standard I think we got a decent loan deal. He is extremely comfortable on the ball.
Definitely a player for the left side when we have possession against park the bus teams like you said.

He'll likely more-so be one for the second half of the season..... Conte seemingly has quite the repair job to do on him whilst also acclimatizing him to EPL and all that comes with it. (Good thing is we know we can trust Davies in the interim).... Then come the end of this season if he's made the grade then boom; we activate the purchase option.

Has anyone seen an price-tag mentioned anywhere with regard to the option to buy?

Absolute no brainer if the reported loan to 6m buy clause is correct. We get experienced cover with potential to move into the starting lineup if he regains form, and we also get the option of keeping the lad for next to nothing if we are impressed. Amazing business I'd say.

Wages are 6m (we're reportedly paying 5m).... Not seen a purchase price anywhere yet...

Wages are 6m (we're reportedly paying 5m).... Not seen a purchase price anywhere yet...
Not sure how legitimate the source is but....

Lenglet will go on loan to #Tottenham: agreement between #FCBarcelona and #THFC, the defender has already given his approval. Adding a 6M purchase option is valued.
@TuttoMercatoWeb

Edit: This is where 6m came from but it isn't legit.

me explain better: the agreement between #FCBarcelona and #Tottenham , for now, is a dry transfer of #Lenglet to the English club. The two clubs continue to talk and a possible purchase option (no is also being evaluated.

Lenglet will go on loan to #Tottenham: agreement between #FCBarcelona and #THFC, the defender has already given his approval. Adding a 6M purchase option is valued.
@TuttoMercatoWeb

Edit: This is where 6m came from but it isn't legit.

me explain better: the agreement between #FCBarcelona and #Tottenham , for now, is a dry transfer of #Lenglet to the English club. The two clubs continue to talk and a possible purchase option (no is also being evaluated.

Sorry to be thick, but what is a “dry transfer”?

Sorry to be thick, but what is a “dry transfer”?
they completely dehydrate him before sending him over, shipping costs are lower that way. Quality isn't as good as the normal transfers, that's it's why not very popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants to see him play at CCB in Dier’s role, go watch the France 3-3 Switzerland game in the EUROs last summer. Absolute disaster, he got bodied off and outjumped by Seferovic. I think he Conte will only use him as a backup to Davies at LCB
What you're saying here is like saying that Mbappe is just an overhyped Bergwjin by looking at one off match. Yes. Mbappe had a mare in this very game even if you disregard the crucial penalty miss. Wasteful. Greedy. Playing with his head down making awful decisions...

The point being one game doesn't tell you about anything. Deschamps messed up by trying to be too clever with a back 5 when he doesn't the necessary tools for it to work. Rabiot and Pavard as wing backs (later played as fullbacks after Lenglet subbed off).
:contefacepalm2:
Lenglet deserved the blame for his part, but pretty much all France defensive players took a beating in this game, too. The set up was plainly wrong. Pavard gave away a stupid penalty in regular time, which Switzerland could have made it 2-0. Also remember that Seferovic scored 2 goals in this game. He also overpowered Varane for the other goal. Varane had a big reputation at Real Madrid. Kimpembe is like Davinson Sanchez but with less pace or strength. Kimpembe was lost for this goal. He doesn't have the awareness required to spot danger. Then he got clowned trying to defend the equalizer. Rabiot is no defender. It's basically asking for trouble. Pogba had a decent game with a cracking goal, but he didn't offer enough defensively. When you need put Sissoko on the pitch, you know your midfield has some sort of dysfunction. Later Pogba made a mess with possession that led to the equalizer goal.

Not gonna hype up Lenglet while beating up Ben Davies. But remember that not long ago with pretty much the same players, we didn't look like we have a functional defense. Conte turned thing around for many of our players. Conte personally wants Lenglet and I trust his judgement on this matter.

Last edited:
Low risk with a very high reward move. He refinds his form, and we have bought a monster ball-playing LCB for a reported £6M. He doesn't perform, and we can just send him back (I doubt that to be fair).
I don't think that's how it works, at least not according to the media here.

We'll be paying either €5 or 6 million to cover nearly all or all of his wages over the coming season. The option to buy would have to be negotiated but you would assume that FCB will want to recover most of the €35 million they shelled out.

His contract runs till 2026 by the way.

Not great to be honest mate, it's an Italian football rumours website that also has a Spanish arm. I don't know the current equivalent but like Transfer Tavern or whatever it was called back in the day.

All the Spanish media, the sports press, normal papers and radio (the latter have huge clout sports-wise here) have the deal as I posted above.

I don't think that's how it works, at least not according to the media here.

We'll be paying either €5 or 6 million to cover nearly all or all of his wages over the coming season. The option to buy would have to be negotiated but you would assume that FCB will want to recover most of the €35 million they shelled out.

His contract runs till 2026 by the way.
OK, so an update on this as per the Catalan media this morning...

According to Mundo Deportivo, there is a loan fee of €5 million, with us paying "part of his wages". This fits with an expression which has been used from the start here, namely that it will be a cesión onerosa, a loan with a fee payable.

The confusion would seem to stem from the fact that Lenglet's annual salary is just under €6 million hence the "€5 or 6 million to cover nearly all or all of his wages" above. However, that's forgetting that all football salaries here are cited as post-tax, meaning that the real gross sum is around €12 million p/a.

Which is where Sport come in. They are reporting this morning that on the wages front, we are forking out €7 million, with Barcelona covering the remaining €5 million.

If this is right, the season-long operation will cost us £10.3 million. No sums have ever been mentioned regarding the right-to-buy option, presumably that €5 million loan fee would be discounted.

Ali Gold didn't seem certain that this move was going to happen in his latest update (discussed between 26-30):

The usual spin about him being one of many players Paratici is looking at for any given position, reference to prior interest on our part and his rejecting us last summer, the changes in circumstances for both him and us since then that have prompted the player to be more open to a move, discussions ongoing between us and Barcelona. No big "Here we go!" statement at this stage.

If we can't get Bastoni, I'd rather we went for someone like Lenglet than breaking the bank for a player who won't be as good as Bastoni. The fact that it's a loan deal also makes it more reversible if Bastoni becomes available in future transfer windows.

Back
Top Bottom