Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Why is the squad not being “right” for Enrique a bad thing? We all agree we need a rebuild and a long-term project, so basing that rebuild around his philosophy will mean recruiting better, more technical footballers.

And the same can be said for any manager that we’re linked with!

It's a big deal because once again Levy is looking for a quick fix by a big name manager with a squad that doesn't fit his style of play all in an attempt to keep Kane around.

Enrique is just as confrontational as Conte... Once things start going badly we'll be stuck in Conte loop 2.0

Why is the squad not being “right” for Enrique a bad thing? We all agree we need a rebuild and a long-term project, so basing that rebuild around his philosophy will mean recruiting better, more technical footballers.

And the same can be said for any manager that we’re linked with!

Not really. Poch for example liked his teams to have the ball but his early Spurs team was very physical, energetic & strong on the counter. We’d need to get him some technical players but we wouldn’t need a total overhaul.

Enrique’s style is slow, tippy tappy and reliant on totally dominating games technically. We have next to nobody in our team who suits this style.

Not to mention we’ll all still be BORED.

Not really. Poch for example liked his teams to have the ball but his early Spurs team was very physical, energetic & strong on the counter. We’d need to get him some technical players but we wouldn’t need a total overhaul.

Enrique’s style is slow, tippy tappy and reliant on totally dominating games technically. We have next to nobody in our team who suits this style.

Not to mention we’ll all still be BORED.

Luis Enrique just gives me the we will be here in 12-18 months again vibes based on how he wants to play and the video posted earlier talking about how he operates. Great manager just don’t think it would work.

Poch currently with 49% of the vote.
Think that shows that none of the other options jump off the page.

Conte was the last chance saloon for big name chasing.

Really we are back to where we were before appointing Poch. Probably a name like Luis Enrique wouldn't have been possible pre-Poch but that's also about the Prem being the super league as much as it's about the likelihood of winning things.

Was dead against Enrique but now don't care. Would almost prefer it to be somebody I have no clue about like Gallardo or the Frankfurt guy Glasner. Just for the Forrest Gump box of chocolate vibes

There's only two managers available right now considered elite, Enrique and Tuchel. Tuchel is probably a waste of time since he seems to have a falling out with every single board he's ever worked with.

I think Enrique is a good choice, I don't really care if his death by a thousand passes football is boring. I've managed to watch nearly every minute of Conteball this season. We'll target more technical players if he comes in which will improve the team.

Or we can try to find the next elite manager. De Zerbi, Gallardo or Carrick seem to be the most likely ones. I don't see us getting Gallardo or Carrick and I have no idea if De Zerbi would jump ship this early.

I know people are disillusioned with so called elite managers at this point, but the only way to be up there is to either get an elite manager and back him, or get a manager you think will come good and be elite in a few years. The latter carries more of a risk.

Do you not think that Poch is elite?

Gallardo it is, then. If we're not going the Poch route, which I'm quite ambivalent about, Gallardo should be the one we bring in.

He adapts his system to the players he has available and to the opposition and has his players ready to step in at any time.
Over the past five years there are a dozen more examples of him naming a surprise player or formation to counter the specific circumstances the team found itself in. He will never be accused of being inflexible, and many consider him the most adaptable of all Latin American managers. No one is assured of a starting role at River Plate, but every player has a role when it comes time to step up. Gallardo has built a squad of players that can come in at any moment.

He is great at in-game management.
His use of the bench is also legendary, and he has won many critical games with goals from substitutes. In one example, the cameras record him outlining to a substitute exactly the goal he wants the team to score after an upcoming tactical switch. Five minutes later, the goal is replicated almost precisely as the manager had envisioned it.

He has no problem rotating players when they're not performing.
Gallardo is not beyond playing a youth player over an experienced one if the youth player is showing well in practice, and he is famously loath to guarantee playing time to aging stars that make their return to River, valuing them for their experience and leadership instead.

He improves players.
In his years in charge of River Plate, the players fight for playing time but play for the cause. Not one player has left the team since Gallardo’s arrival without stating they are better players.

He knows how to win big games
Another of Gallardo’s greatest strengths is his ability to motivate players. His River sides will forever be remembered for their capacity to prepare perfectly for big cup nights and produce their best performances. He has instilled a mentality in his squad whereby the crunch matches invite players to rise to the occasion, not freeze under pressure.

He instills a winning culture and puts team first.
Above tactics, titles, and players, Gallardo has created a winning culture at River Plate on the back of dedication, honor, and professionalism. Gallardo usually begins his day at 7 a.m. and leaves at 8 p.m., and his players are fine-tuned machines who work, eat, and understand the importance of the team.

He creates an identity at the club he's at that the players and fans relate to.
Representation is another concept the ex-Nacional coach puts a lot of emphasis on. When asked by the media about the crowd applauding his team off the pitch in victory and occasionally in defeat, he often replies that they clearly feel the team represents them. He explains they see a certain method of play, an attitude, and a professionalism that makes them feel represented. It’s clear that he values this idea greatly.
Gallardo
and his close assistants, Matias Biscay and Hernan Buján, directed an integrated youth system where they were closely involved in the progression of River youngsters as young as 11.
All youth games are recorded so that they can watch any game any of the youth teams play at any time, and they schedule quarterly meetings with the coaches at each level to coordinate closely on development.
The idea the club has is to teach young kids a certain style and philosophy, which can be replicated all the way up to the first team. Gallardo hopes that his biggest legacy will be to leave River in good hands way beyond his stint as manager, and he can often be seen at reserve or youth matches when his commitments to the first team allow him

And he is recognized by the best player and one of the best managers in the world as being elite (comments from 2019).
Lionel Messi nominated him as one of the top three managers in the world in the recent The Best awards, and Pep Guardiola despaired that Gallardo was not nominated, saying that his work is incredible and undervalued simply because it is not happening in Europe. “He gives them consistency year after year even though they lose players. I don’t understand how he’s never nominated” said the Catalan.
I'd like to see him manage somewhere in Europe, in a non-Spanish-speaking league first before I'd want to try him at Spurs. He is promising, but being great in Argentina is different from being great in Europe at a continental-competition-scale club.

Luis Enrique just gives me the we will be here in 12-18 months again vibes based on how he wants to play and the video posted earlier talking about how he operates. Great manager just don’t think it would work

I’m not even convinced he’s great. His jobs prior to Barcelona weren’t bad but neither were they exceptional.

He then won everything at Barca but look at what he had! You couldn’t ask for more. All the tippy tappy players + more firepower than he could dare dream for.

His management of the Spain NT was poor. They were so dull and ineffective.

And that’s at a NT where he has players who suit his ‘vision’ almost to a tee..

I'd like to see him manage somewhere in Europe, in a non-Spanish-speaking league first before I'd want to try him at Spurs. He is promising, but being great in Argentina is different from being great in Europe at a continental-competition-scale club.
He's also not a bright young thing - only 4 years younger than Poch and 6 years younger than Conte.

If it's a cultural thing, I could understand, although Poch didn't turn out too shabby. And he had a fraction of the resume Gallardo has when we appointed him. If it's "because it's the Argentinean league," I think you are being too dismissive of it. It is a very tough league and the Copa Libertadores (which he won twice) is nothing to sneeze at either.

Personally, I don't think we have the luxury to wait for him to prove his bona fides elsewhere. He's not going to take a Bournemouth or Salernitana level job. When he comes to Europe to manage it will be a big team. Not necessarily elite team, but it won't be a minnow. And it won't be in Austria, or Belgium, or Switzerland. So might as well take advantage of the opportunity and get to him first. He is learning English too while he is taking time off. 😉

There. Is. No. Candidate. Called. Enrique.

His. Given. Name. Is. Luis Enrique.

His. Surname. Is. Martínez.

Jesus, how hard can it be?

When the rest of the footballing word is effectively calling him 'Dave' ; you're fighting a losing battle, mate........

Last edited:
Poch is a weird case, he’s probably a tier below that. I don’t really see him taking us up a level and winning under him. We had a better team at with him and couldn’t do it.

Yes it turned out bad in n the end but we had a good few years under him and most teams were frightened of us!

Back
Top Bottom