Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
If it's a cultural thing, I could understand, although Poch didn't turn out too shabby. And he had a fraction of the resume Gallardo has when we appointed him. If it's "because it's the Argentinean league," I think you are being too dismissive of it. It is a very tough league and the Copa Libertadores (which he won twice) is nothing to sneeze at either.

Personally, I don't think we have the luxury to wait for him to prove his bona fides elsewhere. He's not going to take a Bournemouth or Salernitana level job. When he comes to Europe to manage it will be a big team. Not necessarily elite team, but it won't be a minnow. And it won't be in Austria, or Belgium, or Switzerland. So might as well take advantage of the opportunity and get to him first. He is learning English too while he is taking time off. 😉
Pochettino never coached in South America though, he started at Espanyol and was used to the issues of a modern European dressing room. Gallardo has not coached in Europe, and frankly yes, it is a different level, especially given the differences in dressing room culture between a culturally monolithic Argentina and somewhere like Spurs. He might well be learning English, but I do not want to take a flyer on a guy who's never had to juggle a dressing room of 5 different languages and multiple ethnic groups. That stuff does matter, and not everyone can do that. Spurs are a big enough club to not be someone's test run on those issues. He might well be a very good coach, but I want to see him do it at a higher level of difficulty with the kinds of challenges that he will face in Europe, before he comes to Spurs.

I'd like to see him manage somewhere in Europe, in a non-Spanish-speaking league first before I'd want to try him at Spurs. He is promising, but being great in Argentina is different from being great in Europe at a continental-competition-scale club.

This. The Argentinian league is pretty special beast, where at least 9 out 10 teams starts every single match with the philosophy of let's not concede. And as distant second, let's see if we can nick a goal. If you have attacking talent in the team and have a go, it's easy to look awesome imho.

Eduardo Coudet's Racing team looked the absolute shit for a year or two, but Coudet didn't exactly pull up any trees at Celta Vigo.

Pass for me on Gallardo.

Exactly what we need a dramatic shift in the style of football we want to play, force certain players who haven’t been good enough for years out and a foundation to work from in future years. Say Enrique only stays 3 years, the next coach after should have a similar philosophy. We need an identity as a club
Even if we switch to a less possession style of football IMO it would be a good foundation to have technically sound players who can play out once in a while. Conte's Chelsea wasn't really that bad on the ball, we just happen to have a collection of exceptionally poor players when it comes to possession play.

This. The Argentinian league is pretty special beast, where at least 9 out 10 teams starts every single match with the philosophy of let's not concede. And as distant second, let's see if we can nick a goal. If you have attacking talent in the team and have a go, it's easy to look awesome imho.

Eduardo Coudet's Racing team looked the absolute shit for a year or two, but Coudet didn't exactly pull up any trees at Celta Vigo.

Pass for me on Gallardo.
I don't think you can compare Coudet, who hasn't spent more than a couple of seasons at any club, with Gallardo and the body of work he has accomplished at River over 8 years. And he has never beaten a Gallardo team. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the Gallardo bracket.

Pass for me on Gallardo.
But he did. He turned Celta’s season around when he joined the club and they finished top half, then again next season. This season’s gone off the rails for some reason, I tried to follow what’s the situation there but I couldn’t understand a thing in Spanish.

Maybe Bill Madrid Bill Madrid knows more. I think Coudet used a 4-1-3-2 formation which may require specific set of players and I don’t think he had the resources at Celta to do that.

Pochettino never coached in South America though, he started at Espanyol and was used to the issues of a modern European dressing room. Gallardo has not coached in Europe, and frankly yes, it is a different level, especially given the differences in dressing room culture between a culturally monolithic Argentina and somewhere like Spurs. He might well be learning English, but I do not want to take a flyer on a guy who's never had to juggle a dressing room of 5 different languages and multiple ethnic groups. That stuff does matter, and not everyone can do that. Spurs are a big enough club to not be someone's test run on those issues. He might well be a very good coach, but I want to see him do it at a higher level of difficulty with the kinds of challenges that he will face in Europe, before he comes to Spurs.
I'd agree that this is the one unknown, but good managers they transcend the cultural differences and impose themselves on the team. Else only Spaniards would be successful in La Liga, only Brits in the EPL, only French in Ligue 1, etc. It even took Poch a year or so to get all the players pulling in the same direction and establish his style.

Even if we switch to a less possession style of football IMO it would be a good foundation to have technically sound players who can play out once in a while. Conte's Chelsea wasn't really that bad on the ball, we just happen to have a collection of exceptionally poor players when it comes to possession play.
I don't think we do. I think we have a squad exceptionally badly coached in positional football. The talent is there, but if you have everything being done via automatisms only, with no room for players to pursue creative moments and no tactics allowing possession then you won't see the ability. I'm pretty sure we can pass the ball really well if given the coach and system that enables it.

Exactly what we need a dramatic shift in the style of football we want to play, force certain players who haven’t been good enough for years out and a foundation to work from in future years. Say Enrique only stays 3 years, the next coach after should have a similar philosophy. We need an identity as a club
Agreed! Even in the worst case scenario where Lucho stays for a year maximum: It’s 1 more year of experience for someone like Mason, 1 more year of De Zerbi in the PL, 1 more year of Poch returning to different players etc.

There will be options in the worst case scenario. Regardless, we need an identity

I'd agree that this is the one unknown, but good managers they transcend the cultural differences and impose themselves on the team. Else only Spaniards would be successful in La Liga, only Brits in the EPL, only French in Ligue 1, etc. It even took Poch a year or so to get all the players pulling in the same direction and establish his style.
Good managers do transcend this. I am not ok with taking a chance on a guy who has not yet proven he can do that. That's my point. It's a stretch too far.

But he did. He turned Celta’s season around when he joined the club and they finished top half, then again next season. This season’s gone off the rails for some reason, I tried to follow what’s the situation there but I couldn’t understand a thing in Spanish.

Maybe Bill Madrid Bill Madrid knows more. I think Coudet used a 4-1-3-2 formation which may require specific set of players and I don’t think he had the resources at Celta to do that.
Not much idea I'm afraid. though you're right to say that they didn't/don't have much money to spend, they nearly went out of business relatively recently.

I'm not sure that this season has particularly gone off the rails though, they're comfortably mid-table which is where they finished in Coudet's two seasons (8th and 11th, where they sit at the minute).

Interestingly, Celta was Luis Enrique's first job in Spain in the 2013-14 season. He took them to 9th before leaving to take over at Barça.

Not much idea I'm afraid. I'm not sure that this season has particularly gone off the rails though, they're comfortable mid-table which is where they finished in Coudet's two seasons (8th and 11th, where they sit at the minute).

Interestingly, Celta was Luis Enrique's first job in Spain in the 2013-14 season. He took them to 9th before leaving to take over at Barça.
I think when Coudet got sacked, Celta were 17th or 18th. Their new manager managed to improve their results quite a bit, I checked their last 10 games and they’re 4th most in form team.

The thing with Thomas Frank is that there is always the question about how much of Brentford is him, and how much is the club's coaching and analytic staff? They are the least head coach reliant team in England.
So let me get this straight!!!!!!!
Brentford are the formidable team they are in the EPL (not because of Thomas Frank) but the other people at the club (who are his backroom staff) are you having a laugh??????????
I think we got zero chance of getting Thomas Frank anyway he is 100% committed to Brentford
i mentioned him a few years back on here as one to watch (& yes im referring to him and his whole team)

Last edited:
If it's not Poch i think Levy will go for Tuchel.

Ex Chelsea, available, CL winner, knows how to organise a team, Tuchel has been very complimentary about Spurs in the past. Levy doesn't care if the football is dull, he just wants consistency and results and Tuchel can deliver that.

If it's not Poch i think Levy will go for Tuchel.

Ex Chelsea, available, CL winner, knows how to organise a team, Tuchel has been very complimentary about Spurs in the past. Levy doesn't care if the football is dull, he just wants consistency and results and Tuchel can deliver that.
There was a little rumuour floating around when he was in charge of Bourissia Dortmund that he was a Spurs fan growing up

So let me get this straight!!!!!!!
Brentford are the formidable team they are in the EPL (not because of Thomas Frank) but the other people at the club (who are his backroom staff) are you having a laugh??????????
I think we got zero chance of getting Thomas Frank anyway he is 100% committed to Brentford
i mentioned him a few years back on here as one to watch (& yes im referring to him and his whole team)
Absolutely. If you don't know how Frank was an internal promotion from this same backroom, and how Brentford are run, then it's really hard to make a case for Frank. What is his idea of football? What are his tactics? Are they his, or what the data people have shown makes the most sense based on their models, and what they've tested in Denmark at Midtjylland first? Brentford are not a manager-driven story. They're a club that specifically do the exact opposite of that.

Back
Top Bottom