StubHub

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree - it is what it is - just can't see anything in this worth getting into a lather over. Free market economy in a microcosm. Leaving aside emotion and tribalism, the logical thought that football/sport/theatre/concert tickets should be considered as anything other than a commodity is a strange one.
My issue with that is that we have 50k people on a waiting list and 50k members getting fucked by the club.
I don't agree with StubHub at all for a football club where 21000 people are guaranteed a ticket to sell for each game should they wish. That is very different from the other events you mention.

But from a business point of view what Levy has done is very smart.

But its legal fucking touting!

Why shouldn't touts be allowed to do business but these cunts are?

Very simply touts don't pay the club a commission.
And neither has any ST holder who sold their ticket at "face value" for any CAT A games through any channel (apart from the old ticket exchange) .

I know people who have been stuck on virtually the same place in the ST waiting list for years.
People have been treating their tickets like a commodity and this is the result. Danny wants a piece of the pie.

I don't agree with it, but I never did agree with people loaning out their STs either.
You can be sure the two are related.

The other issue is the one I encountered with the American fans who were over for the NFL game.

They wanted to take in an English football match, so they went on StubHub and searched. They ended up with Spurs-Chelsea. The very fact that you can search their site for any number of events means that many will only stumble across Spurs tickets rather than actively seek them out. This means that genuine supporters are missing out to sports tourists on buying a ticket.

My issue with that is that we have 50k people on a waiting list and 50k members getting fucked by the club.
I don't agree with StubHub at all for a football club where 21000 people are guaranteed a ticket to sell for each game should they wish. That is very different from the other events you mention.

But from a business point of view what Levy has done is very smart.
This is the bit i dont get ; How are 50k members being fucked by the club. All games have reached general sale.
Johnny Tourist then buys one off StubHub at a mark up. Every member who wanted a ticket, got one.

If a ST holder wants to earn a little bread to help pay for next years ticket or Euro away travel,can't see the problem.

This is the bit i dont get ; How are 50k members being fucked by the club. All games have reached general sale.
Johnny Tourist then buys one off StubHub at a mark up. Every member who wanted a ticket, got one.

If a ST holder wants to earn a little bread to help pay for next years ticket or Euro away travel,can't see the problem.
The problem is "fans" making money off other fans.
This will stagnate the turnover of ST holders. People won't move up the list because ST holders will simply make a profit from a couple of games and not give a shit if they only make 4 games a season because their ST is paid for.

Good for atmosphere?
Good for support?
Good for the ones in line?

No

Good for short term profit, shit for long term club.

The problem is "fans" making money off other fans.
This will stagnate the turnover of ST holders. People won't move up the list because ST holders will simply make a profit from a couple of games and not give a shit if they only make 4 games a season because their ST is paid for.

Good for atmosphere?
Good for support?
Good for the ones in line?

No

Good for short term profit, shit for long term club.

How? It's a massive gamble isn't it? I'm still convinced that the huge majority of ST holders (I'm one) come to support Spurs, not with the intention of flogging every seat for profit.

From what I've seen, it's ST holders making a few quid off tourists from the States and the Far East who will only ever come to one game to tick off a bucket list thing to do.

I have been trying to find a legal hole in the stubhub ticket selling. Under the 'Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994' the resale of tickets is explicitly illegal at football matches. However, It appears anything goes really if the organisers of a match grant permission. I don't even blame StubHub as a concept, If Tottenham really cared about most of their fans they would never have agreed to this.
Then I looked further into
'The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008' and found numerous offences relating to basically exploiting economic decisions by the consumer but guess what anything goes if there is a code of conduct agreement. :thumbdown: :wall:I can't beat them... But again the real culprits are Tottenham.

Look at Stub Hub the night before the game or even better early morning on match day.
You can get tickets (singles) face value or less. If you use the system right and dont mind
which stand, row etc you sit in it can work for you.
Buy at the last minute :))

I don't think any Premiership Home games reach general sale. If they do it is the odd one.
And I can guarantee the PL and Paxton will be sold out quickly. It's why the exchange was a good way for members to get tickets in those areas especially.
(I know this because I usually look on the guest sale date as since giving up my ST I only buy the boy a membership, so look on the off chance.)

And I would guess you don't have the experience of buying as a member so to clarify just because the website says On General Sale means that is has gone past the specific date for when tickets go on general sale.

Finally look at it from this point of view. If the club bought back your ticket at the value you paid per game rather than "face" and then sold it on for whatever they could would you be just as happy then?
Or would you think they are taking the piss out of ST holders?

So yeah. Make your bread, I personally don't begrudge anyone that, but don't think it's not affecting the average fan because I guarantee you it is. It's just not affecting you.

I don't think any Premiership Home games reach general sale. If they do it is the odd one.
And I can guarantee the PL and Paxton will be sold out quickly. It's why the exchange was a good way for members to get tickets in those areas especially.
(I know this because I usually look on the guest sale date as since giving up my ST I only buy the boy a membership, so look on the off chance.)

And I would guess you don't have the experience of buying as a member so to clarify just because the website says On General Sale means that is has gone past the specific date for when tickets go on general sale.

Finally look at it from this point of view. If the club bought back your ticket at the value you paid per game rather than "face" and then sold it on for whatever they could would you be just as happy then?
Or would you think they are taking the piss out of ST holders?

So yeah. Make your bread, I personally don't begrudge anyone that, but don't think it's not affecting the average fan because I guarantee you it is. It's just not affecting you.
The Trust met the Club. In the Trust's minutes they said only two games last season didn't go general sale, the Goons and Sunderland. This season so far EVERY game has gone general sale.

The indignant outrage seems to based on political leaning not what the actual reselling itself. That's fine and can understand that view but it's being built up into a mega 'isshoo', when, in reality, it ain't.

More concerned about general ticket prices and our heritage being stripped than whether Mike Soccerball has pay an extra £20 over face.

The Trust met the Club. In the Trust's minutes they said only two games last season didn't go general sale, the Goons and Sunderland. This season so far EVERY game has gone general sale.

The indignant outrage seems to based on political leaning not what the actual reselling itself. That's fine and can understand that view but it's being built up into a mega 'isshoo', when, in reality, it ain't.

More concerned about general ticket prices and our heritage being stripped than whether Mike Soccerball has pay an extra £20 over face.

True, anyone that wants to go the game without using Stubhub just has to watch the Spurs website for onsale dates......you don't even need to pay the clubs membership fees.

Stubhub seems like a tax on the lazy and unorganised with the current level of demand for tickets.....

We use Twitter to get rid of tickets

Always sell at face value and meet up at the ground 15 mins before the game

Putting 50 notes on top of a ticket to a fellow yid is for slags

It isn't just Mike Soccerball though mate. The reason you don't see it as an issue is because you are a ST holder. Top of the pile in this situation.

I was, my missus and I gave ours up when we had a kid 3 years ago, she was 3yrs as a holder I was 10 yrs.
We moved to be closer to her mum as she has health issues......We now live in Tampa BUT I am in London every 4-6 weeks and attend at least 1, often 2 games when I am over.
I have served my time, I am no "Mike Soccerball" tourist ...........but because of this situation the price being paid is rising.

If stubhub had been around when my son was born, guess what? It would have been really fucking tempting to keep them, sell off the Cat A games I couldn't be at for a premium and cover the cost of my ticket for the rest of the year.

No ST turnover
Empty seats for Stoke on a tuesday night because its not worth the hassle
Scalped fans like me who love the club, served their time and now have changed circumstances.

I always used the ticket exchange, now I use twitter and friends to get what I need. I will not pay Stubhub prices not necessarily because of the cost, but because of what they are enabling among the fanbase.

So we didn't sell out united, west ham or Chelsea to members???

I don't believe that at all - although I never look at tickets in east or west upper so maybe they have some there.

If so my point still stands. I'm not prepared to pay 75quid a ticket. The exchange gave you a chance of picking up tickets in the cheaper areas.
Not any more. Now it's only for the rich or the tourists. The man on the street is still missing out.

I don't believe that at all - although I never look at tickets in east or west upper so maybe they have some there.

If so my point still stands. I'm not prepared to pay 75quid a ticket. The exchange gave you a chance of picking up tickets in the cheaper areas.
Not any more. Now it's only for the rich or the tourists. The man on the street is still missing out.
And generally speaking the "man on the street" is the one singing the loudest, standing for his club and with the most passion. (just look at the west stand to see the correlation between high price and level of support)

Nope. Not according to the club or the Trust. Only Arse and Sunderland sold out to members

And generally speaking the "man on the street" is the one singing the loudest, standing for his club and with the most passion. (just look at the west stand to see the correlation between high price and level of support)
But you correlate 'support' with noise. They're not intrinsically linked. Loads of West Uppers in the TISA days

The tickets that are available on general sale are usually the upper tier block in the Park Lane stand once the opposition send back some tickets.......not the expensive seats at all.

Clearly you don't actually buy these tickets or you would already know that.

Back
Top Bottom