Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United (19th Aug - 5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even Cunte wanted him.

He was told that he could only have him if they sold some players. Levy wanted his usually high prices so we sold nothing. Conté didn't get Maddison.

We are doing exactly what Conté had planned to do. Ange came at the right time. Just when Levy is caught between a rock and a hard place.
O Keefe said Conte was offered Maddison and that he didn't want him.

"We are doing exactly what Conté had planned to do."
If that was true we'd be playing Skipp and Hojbjerg.

Today's game showed just how much the ego, and stubbornness of a so called "elite" manager can drag a team down. In my opinion, Jose and Conte are only fit for Serie A. I really enjoyed the football today, and I'm looking forward to the next home game.

Fist half was a bit of a mixed bag, second half we comprehensively outplayed them. It's bizarre to think that Ten Hag's now had two pre seasons and a ton of money and Postacoglou's had one summer, lost big daddy Kane, has a hotch potch squad with some less than stellar parts and is already coaching a better brand of football with better structure.

Maureen got some shit for what he said above, and it was a bit harsh considering what Ange is working with and the short time he's been here, but it wasn't completely wrong either. For all our very good midfield play, and some very good situations that midfield play produced, we didn't turn many of those situations into clear quality chances, and until we upgrade that front three, I think we will struggle with this aspect. Our domination and virtue of now playing much more in the opponents third and box, will give us chances and goals - but until we more quality that actually fits the system, we won't be totally serious. If we do, it could get very good.

The first 30 minutes we also struggled to play through their press, and largely this is also a front three problem, all three of Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison aren't great with their back to goal with a many up their arse, nor is Porro, who got himself pressed into trouble a couple of times.

Worth noting we've come out of that game with a 2.54 v 2.45 XG, and until the 80th minute they were ahead 0.20, another day, for all our possession and territorial domination, we could have been on the wrong end of the big moments, our goals were both a bit messy, and they missed some big chances - one was a great save by Vicario from Rashford.

Obviously we are trying to press much better, higher, and compared to the last few years we definitely are, this is helped by a) actually having a midfield b) midfielders with the right qualities to facilitate that c) the inverted FB's bolstering the midfield. It's very early in Ange's tenure so hopefully it will improve, but again, Maureen 's point about the pressing wasn't totally wrong. It's nowhere near great yet, first half it was very sloppy, second half, better. Early days and again some of these players really don't individually press very well, it's way too easy to play through the front three, and until we upgrade those elements we will be compromised.

The good news is we finally have a multi functional midfield. There was a moment first half when Bissouma received the ball on the edge of our box, with three Utd players coming into to press, he just kept cool, turned and left all three of them moving the wrong way. This wasn't just a technical thing, this was a brain thing, by just thinking differently, faster but more composed, composed enough to trust his technique under pressure than people like Hojbjerg.

I still think there's scope to get in a proper 6 and move Bissouma to 8 some days, he's so good at dribbling or passing through lines, might be nice to see him play without that responsibility for protecting the CB's too.

Early days, but fuck me it's nice to look forward to football again.
Totally agree. We played well but luck was definitely on our side goals wise. A usual game against United would see them getting the pen and at least one of their misses going in.

Love the way we’re playing but still a lot to shore up. I think improvement will be down to a few factors: more time to get used to the new style of play, figuring out which players simply don’t fit the vision and, crucially, developing connections on the pitch. I know we were spoiled by Son and Kane’s telepathy but Rich up top just never seems to be in the right place at the right time! Conversely though, Bissouma, Sarr and Udogie already seem to have built a strong interplay. Can see Romero and Micky building that too.

Fist half was a bit of a mixed bag, second half we comprehensively outplayed them. It's bizarre to think that Ten Hag's now had two pre seasons and a ton of money and Postacoglou's had one summer, lost big daddy Kane, has a hotch potch squad with some less than stellar parts and is already coaching a better brand of football with better structure.

Maureen got some shit for what he said above, and it was a bit harsh considering what Ange is working with and the short time he's been here, but it wasn't completely wrong either. For all our very good midfield play, and some very good situations that midfield play produced, we didn't turn many of those situations into clear quality chances, and until we upgrade that front three, I think we will struggle with this aspect. Our domination and virtue of now playing much more in the opponents third and box, will give us chances and goals - but until we add more forward quality that actually fits the system, we won't be totally serious. If we do, it could get very good.

The first 30 minutes we also struggled to play through their press, and largely this is also a front three problem, all three of Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison aren't great with their back to goal with a many up their arse, nor is Porro, who got himself pressed into trouble a couple of times. As a result we struggled to make triangles and shapes to make those first one or two balls out count.

Worth noting we've come out of that game with a 2.54 v 2.45 XG, and until the 80th minute they were ahead 0.20, another day, for all our possession and territorial domination, we could have been on the wrong end of the big moments, our goals were both a bit messy, and they missed some big chances - one was a great save by Vicario from Rashford.

Obviously we are trying to press much better, higher, and compared to the last few years we definitely are, this is helped by a) actually having a midfield b) midfielders with the right qualities to facilitate that c) the inverted FB's bolstering the midfield. It's very early in Ange's tenure so hopefully it will improve, but again, Maureen 's point about the pressing wasn't totally wrong. It's nowhere near great yet, first half it was very sloppy, second half, better. Early days and again some of these players really don't individually press very well, it's way too easy to play through the front three, and until we upgrade those elements we will be compromised.

The good news is we finally have a multi functional midfield. There was a moment first half when Bissouma received the ball on the edge of our box, with three Utd players coming into to press, he just kept cool, turned and left all three of them moving the wrong way. This wasn't just a technical thing, this was a brain thing, by just thinking differently, faster but more composed, composed enough to trust his technique under pressure than people like Hojbjerg.

I still think there's scope to get in a proper 6 and move Bissouma to 8 some days, he's so good at dribbling or passing through lines, might be nice to see him play without that responsibility for protecting the CB's too.

Early days, but fuck me it's nice to look forward to football again.
Well said. But I think you left out the biggest change. Our defence actually played football and didn't make stupid mistakes. Romero and VdV were one MOTM contenders along with Bassouma, Sarr. And Maddison.

Its a huge change when Midfielders are allowed to play midfield and don't need to track back to keep backing Sess, Doherty, Dier, Sanchez. Even Davies found himself in the midfield.

Don't know what you on about. Conté wanted Maddison. He didn't get him because , as usual, Levy didn't get him.

View: https://twitter.com/TheSpursWatch/status/1633204918050856961

2lcdl2ni8fma1.jpg

There you go again, making stuff up again, absolute clown 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Another one. You shouldn't read selectivI'll repeat, Skipp and PEH were used because defensively they are the better of our midfielders. This was required because Dier and Sanchez were our CBs. Look at how many times we had a miss kicked Clearance (None). Look at how we played from out of the back. If your recall we never had a defence that was near as accurate with their passing. This game was won from the goal keeper right through to the strikers. We don't have the Best players in the league but we have Good Players that works.

View: https://twitter.com/TheSpursWatch/status/1633204918050856961

2lcdl2ni8fma1.jpg

There you go again, making stuff up again, absolute clown 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Hey Shrek, stop Trolling people for conversation.

I read what I read and you read what you read. I didn't once say, "I believe Conté wanted Maddison". I am quoting articles that were published. And more than one article. Its ok if you choose to believe different than I do. Every time you hear Conté or Jose's names you have to try prove your bullshit.

Stop protecting Levy. What numerous Managers have said is being proven right by Ange.

1) So you would have played 2 Predominantly Attacking Midfielders with Dier, Sanchez, Sess, Doherty and Emerson 1.0 in your defence? You'd have had your midfielders as high as we were playing today? Stellini tried that and 6-1 to Newcastle.

No manager worth his salt would have performed that suicide.

Real Armchair managers. O Keefe is suddenly the go to guy on what Conté had said. Ok. If that's what you believe, knock yourself out.

Totally agree. We played well but luck was definitely on our side goals wise. A usual game against United would see them getting the pen and at least one of their misses going in.

Love the way we’re playing but still a lot to shore up. I think improvement will be down to a few factors: more time to get used to the new style of play, figuring out which players simply don’t fit the vision and, crucially, developing connections on the pitch. I know we were spoiled by Son and Kane’s telepathy but Rich up top just never seems to be in the right place at the right time! Conversely though, Bissouma, Sarr and Udogie already seem to have built a strong interplay. Can see Romero and Micky building that too.
It wasn’t a pen the ball deflects off Romero’s knee.

Back
Top Bottom