Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think King is the best English defender I have witnessed.
Above the likes of Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Judas etc.

Had he not suffered his injury problems and played for a bigger club, I think globally he would be recognised alongside the likes of Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro.
Absofuckinglutely.

I think King is the best English defender I have witnessed.
Above the likes of Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Judas etc.

Had he not suffered his injury problems and played for a bigger club, I think globally he would be recognised alongside the likes of Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro.
He really was that good but the knee just stopped people realising how effortless it was for him. Truth is we would have struggled to keep him.

He really was that good but the knee just stopped people realising how effortless it was for him. Truth is we would have struggled to keep him.
He never even had a yellow card before his injury if I recall correctly. The only yellows he got in the end were for shirt grabbing or a bit of lateness when he could no longer walk or run.

People cunting me off in the Romero thread could take note.

Put it this way.....if we had Kane that night against Inter with only ten men, do you think Kane would have got that hattrick or destroyed them in the home leg?......🤷‍♂️

Put it this way do you think Bale would have been the all time top goalscorer for our club if he stayed as long as Kane? 🤷‍♂️

Silly comparison.

Put it this way do you think Bale would have been the all time top goalscorer for our club if he stayed as long as Kane? 🤷‍♂️

Silly comparison.
Not really....Kane was a pure forward....Bale only played there later on, was on the wing for a bit, and even left back first. I would put Bale ahead of Kane as a better "footballer'.....some of the things he did were incredible, for us and Madrid. Obviously as a pure 'striker' Kane takes it, but as a footballer, Bale had more skill.

I've followed Spurs for over 55 years. Kane is not only one the greatest players ever to play for Spurs, but also England.
Bale is also one of Spurs greatest ever players. Both him and Kane would be in my all time Spurs XI.
Bale left Spurs when he was 24, and went on to great success with Real Madrid. I doubt Kane would have achieved less if he had joined a top European club like Real at 24.
For the record, I rate Mackay, Greaves, Jennings and Hoddle on the same level as Bale and Kane, as Spurs players in my time that were world class. A few others were also nearly at that level.

Genuine question.

Is there any other top club in world football that considers their best ever player to be someone who's never won a single club honour with said club? I can't think of any.

Because that does sound particularly Spursy. Poetic even.

Not really....Kane was a pure forward....Bale only played there later on, was on the wing for a bit, and even left back first. I would put Bale ahead of Kane as a better "footballer'.....some of the things he did were incredible, for us and Madrid. Obviously as a pure 'striker' Kane takes it, but as a footballer, Bale had more skill.

I'm reacting to the comment "Bale was miles better than Kane" firstly miles better...really? Also better at what because they are both vastly different players with different skill sets.

You've used the context that he was more exciting and he could single handedly turn a game by itself, I've used the context that he was an elite goal scorer (I haven't even mention his playmaking ability)

There's no need to compare, why can't people just enjoy both of them, you don't need to polarise opinions on players all the time to make a point about them.

I'm reacting to the comment "Bale was miles better than Kane" firstly miles better...really? Also better at what because they are both vastly different players with different skill sets.

You've used the context that he was more exciting and he could single handedly turn a game by itself, I've used the context that he was an elite goal scorer (I haven't even mention his playmaking ability)

There's no need to compare, why can't people just enjoy both of them, you don't need to polarise opinions on players all the time to make a point about them.
Didn't say he was miles better than Kane.....but a better footballer yes....teams used to shit themselves when Bale had the ball. But i enjoyed watching both in our time.....sad there wasn't a better team around them......🤷‍♂️

May not have been a better technical footballer but more dynamic. See my last post.
Dynamic? I watched Gascoigne pick the ball up in our box beat seven players and score. He'd do this on multiple occasions if he'd been sane and even a tiny bit mindful of what he put in his body he was Maradona levels of on the ball ability. On potato fields against players that would have been imprisoned for doing this to Bale.

View: https://youtu.be/Lg2w0kmbtZc?si=5A0Cmqgxu1HJKtyC

Didn't say he was miles better than Kane.....but a better footballer yes....teams used to shit themselves when Bale had the ball. But i enjoyed watching both in our time.....sad there wasn't a better team around them......🤷‍♂️

I know you didn't, the comment I reacted to did and then you replied to it.

Better 'footballer' is entirely subjective, to be fair I'm not mad at those who have a preference, but saying that one was miles better than the other is an unnecessary extreme.

I know you didn't, the comment I reacted to did and then you replied to it.

Better 'footballer' is entirely subjective, to be fair I'm not mad at those who have a preference, but saying that one was miles better than the other is an unnecessary extreme.
It's not entirely subjective, pretty sure everyone agrees Kane is a better footballer than Darren Bent for instance!
But i agree, Bale wasn't miles better than Kane .....👍

It's not entirely subjective, pretty sure everyone agrees Kane is a better footballer than Darren Bent for instance!
But i agree, Bale wasn't miles better than Kane .....👍

It's subjective because what you see in a footballer is entirely different to what someone else sees, that's how subjectivity works...

Put it this way.....if we had Kane that night against Inter with only ten men, do you think Kane would have got that hattrick or destroyed them in the home leg?......🤷‍♂️

We've seen Kane wreck Man City on a couple of occasions. Without doubt a better team than that Inter.

He totally killed the Chavs in that 5-3 game too.

Real Madrid, the biggest and best club in global football (by miles) didn't want a discount, special relationship sub 100m punt on Kane when they need a striker.

They paid a world record fee for Bale when they already had Ronaldo.

Says it all really.

Whilst 'who's the best' opinions are subjective, the position of the player is relevant.

Wide forwards are the most valuable (best) players.
Attacking midfielders probably rank slightly above strikers.
Then central / defensive midfielders, to defenders to keepers.

Strikers haven't been the prized assets in over 20 years really since 442 died.

Back
Top Bottom