Punishment for Cheats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What should the punishment for long term mass cheating be?

• 1 relegation

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 2 removal of trophies won during period

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 3 both above

Votes: 66 89.2%
  • 4 minimal punishment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 no Punishment, cheating should be allowed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tomo

Supporter
if and obviously it’s still in the process City and Chelsea get done for cheating over a 10 year period including false accounting, off book payments, made up sponsorship, dual support to multi teams what should be the punishment be?

-Relegation?

- Removal of trophies?

- combination of both above?

- Minimal punishment, say 30 points?

- no punishment, cheating should be allowed?

Happy to add other options if needed.

They stole our moments in the sun as well as Woolwich's , man u and Liverpool's.

We will never have the parade of winning the league in 2017. We will never be able to take back the "no trophies" memes. What they stole from us and others is priceless. If they never see the top flight again it still wouldn't be enough

Relegation and titles stripped would ensure none of this nonsense ever happens again with any club, surely.

They need to go down hard on them, its not fair to the rest of the league. In Serie A, Juve and other top Italian teams were made an example of and we haven't seen matchfixing at the highest level since. The same can happen here but with FFP. It would set a major example.

Something severe to them needs to be done, enough is enough of letting teams like Chelsea and City do as they please

Yeah, relegation and take their trophies away.

I'm starting to think that it won't be a question of "if" City get relegated. There's just far too many charges and evidence against them for them not to be, but I'm concerned about how far it will end up going. If they've genuinely committed 115 counts of FFP infringements then take 10 points off them per count and send them to the bottom tier of English football.

A one season relegation just won't be a fitting punishment as they'll be back up in a year. To feel it, they'll need to suffer for a long time for to to A) be just and B) to act as a proper deterrent.

But it's pretty likely that there is a degree of corruption within the powers that be in football and that just won't happen.

Was speaking to a mate last week, who had with him a colleague who was involved in sports law. Obviously the first thing I said to him was how come Everton got done immediately but City and Chelsea haven't.
He said Evertons was due to one breach from november to march and as straightforward as can be.
He said City's is a really complex case that goes back to the Mancini days and involves breaches from 5 different groupings.
He mentioned it is as serious as it can get and the authorities are making sure they have any appeal or counter attack in place. They have to consider what other clubs could make a claim etc.
He asked me what I think will or should happen to them. Without really thinking I said they have to be relegated surely. He said where to? I said well the Championship I guess. He said how is it fair on the clubs in the championship, they would obviously come straight back up and prevent another club from getting promoted, which I thought was a fair point.
I asked what is likely, he said the only fitting punishment for their crime is to kick them out of the league altogether, but he doubts that would happen due to the size and wealth of Man City. I said but if it was a smaller club that is what would happen? he said almost definitely.

It's very very messy but no one really knows how to punish them without it having a massive effect on may other clubs.

Neither Chelsea or Man City will face any punishment of note. It's just not how the world works. They have more money and better lawyers and it will be tied up for years and years till eventually, it will be bargained down to a fine and some strategically placed donations to various 'Charities'

It stinks, it absolutely does and it's just plain cheating, but if after all this time, the idiots at the FA and the Premier League still can't make anything stick, then how the hell will they ever.

To any real football fan, it's blatant.

Was speaking to a mate last week, who had with him a colleague who was involved in sports law. Obviously the first thing I said to him was how come Everton got done immediately but City and Chelsea haven't.
He said Evertons was due to one breach from november to march and as straightforward as can be.
He said City's is a really complex case that goes back to the Mancini days and involves breaches from 5 different groupings.
He mentioned it is as serious as it can get and the authorities are making sure they have any appeal or counter attack in place. They have to consider what other clubs could make a claim etc.
He asked me what I think will or should happen to them. Without really thinking I said they have to be relegated surely. He said where to? I said well the Championship I guess. He said how is it fair on the clubs in the championship, they would obviously come straight back up and prevent another club from getting promoted, which I thought was a fair point.
I asked what is likely, he said the only fitting punishment for their crime is to kick them out of the league altogether, but he doubts that would happen due to the size and wealth of Man City. I said but if it was a smaller club that is what would happen? he said almost definitely.

It's very very messy but no one really knows how to punish them without it having a massive effect on may other clubs.
relegation to the championship with a 3 year ban from promotion would be better. that way it doesnt damage the championship that much and turns them into champo clubs as that would see all their players leave and they would have to build again.

Neither Chelsea or Man City will face any punishment of note. It's just not how the world works. They have more money and better lawyers and it will be tied up for years and years till eventually, it will be bargained down to a fine and some strategically placed donations to various 'Charities'

It stinks, it absolutely does and it's just plain cheating, but if after all this time, the idiots at the FA and the Premier League still can't make anything stick, then how the hell will they ever.

To any real football fan, it's blatant.
From what i've heard, big punishment for both is inevitable. The right punishment is the problem and it doesn't sound like it will be a fine.
I genuinely think both will get punished in a major way.

What should happen and what will happen I expect to be very different. They were 55 points above relegation last season and so even a 50 point deduction might not be enough. I am not expecting any news any time soon. Had that happened we would only have got in the conference last season and assuming we played the back up teams like last time be about to fail to qualify.

if and obviously it’s still in the process City and Chelsea get done for cheating over a 10 year period including false accounting, off book payments, made up sponsorship, dual support to multi teams what should be the punishment be?

-Relegation?

- Removal of trophies?

- combination of both above?

- Minimal punishment, say 30 points?

- no punishment, cheating should be allowed?

Happy to add other options if needed.
I think you're being very kind to them. They should be chucked out of the league and sued for every dirty penny they've got. Add that to the poll!

Who needs these scum? They've played a big part in wrecking the Beautiful Game.

Apparently even the Everton case they had to wade through 2800 documents (documents not pages!)

Imagine how much shite the City legal team have compiled for their case

I think it should be multiple relegations, but I'm not that interested in re-writing history and removing trophies, particularly if they were won a number of years ago. The club and fans have already enjoyed and benefitted from those trophies so removing them years later is somewhat of a hollow punishment. The punishments should be forward looking to make sure they don't benefit any further and don't win any major trophies for a long time.

My personal view is if they get done for multiple violations like 50 plus then:

Relegation: can’t come back to the prem for 5 years min.

Trophies: all trophies in the period they cheated are removed.

Finances: allow them to be sued for all wrong doing.

The level of cheating is totally unprecedented and has destroyed fair competition.

relegation to the championship with a 3 year ban from promotion would be better. that way it doesnt damage the championship that much and turns them into champo clubs as that would see all their players leave and they would have to build again.
Like the idea but I think even in that scenario it would be fairly easy for them to just build again. They've already got all the best facilities they need and got 3 or 4 top youth prospects in the country in each of the England youth age groups all the way down. Maybe longer?

Apparently even the Everton case they had to wade through 2800 documents (documents not pages!)

Imagine how much shite the City legal team have compiled for their case
That's why, if they had any sense, they'd only try one or two breaches at a time. If they don't, I'll smell a rat.

I think it should be multiple relegations, but I'm not that interested in re-writing history and removing trophies, particularly if they were won a number of years ago. The club and fans have already enjoyed and benefitted from those trophies so removing them years later is somewhat of a hollow punishment. The punishments should be forward looking to make sure they don't benefit any further and don't win any major trophies for a long time.
should defo have titles removed if they got them unfairly. yes they have celebrated wins but wins that were not legit. remove titles.

Back
Top Bottom