Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree, yes we sell players for profit - but we don't sign people will the sole intention of player trading.
Oh I think we do. I reckon pretty much every player we bring in these days is signed with a view to their re-sale value, unless we can get them for peanuts like Saha and Parker. The only recent exeption was probably Soldado. I can only think that Levy must have had something slipped into his drink when he sanctioned that one. We are looked upon as a selling club because thats what we`ve become with Levy. Its also why we have become a club that continuously promise so much yet achieve Fuck-All with Levy too.

Oh I think we do. I reckon pretty much every player we bring in these days is signed with a view to their re-sale value,

Resell value is a completely different principle to only signing someone like Holtby because you can sell him on for a profit in 12 months, without ever having any regard as to whether he'll be a useful player to have in the team.

We as a club have a clearly defined policy (the last 10 years maybe) of buying potential players that will increase in value as that potential is (hopefully) realised.

Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale... All attest to the idea we will buy low, sell high, and try to incrementally build the squad up as we go. Its a clear cycle for us.

Look at our recent buys, Lamela, Capoue, Holtby, Eriksen - what are these if not the next batch?

What evidence?

The one where he confesses of being a Gooner?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/video-tottenham-caretaker-manager-tim-2952177

"I’m an Woolwich fan as a kid," he says. "My dad still goes to the Emirates every week."

"I would love to see them do well.”

Haha, tragic, you do realise that's about 10 years old. Just wondering would you respect him more if he changed the team he supported as a boy?

29y58p3.jpg

Do you recognise that bloke?

It's not 10 years old - it's from a few weeks before AVB got sacked

H: A question from Sean earlier and now Sean’s brother from North Wembley said “Woolwich will win, didn’t that guy sitting there play for Tottenham who last won the Premiership when people wore caps in the terraces”

T: He is absolutely right but I am only saying what I feel I am an Woolwich fan as kid. At the end of the day my dad still goes to the Emirates every week I would love to see them do well. But I feel he wins a lot of admirers at Woolwich football club in recent years, play the best football that anyone plays. On their day they are better than anyone. I think we all agree that, but that doesn’t win you trophies and they are lacking something at the moment. The most successful times Arsene Wenger had as a manager of Woolwich has been when he has had a core of English players. I think if Sean’s brother from North Wembley was to have a little look back at the record books he will see that it has been 4 years. This rebuilding process, how long does it actually take. Arsene Wenger is fantastic he doesn’t come out and say they haven’t given him money. It is quite evident that they are not giving him any money to spend. And the likes of Hleb to let him go and Flamini and keep hold of Cesc Fabregas is a major plus for them. But can they challenge again this season? I doubt it.

I thought you meant the Mirror article?

Makes no difference - he's self-confessed and nothing will change that in my view

I thought you meant the Mirror article?

Makes no difference - he's self-confessed and nothing will change that in my view

Of course you did flower.

The mirror article was based on an interview with Tim Sherwood from years ago.

Nope. Anderlecht and Villa aren't exactly the clubs we should be vying with for players.
I'm sure Villa want Ronaldo as well, doesn't mean they'll get him. And he's only linked with Anderlecht because they are the best Belgian side - and he's Belgian.

Defour is a very good player, still starting in a very good Belgium midfield. But do we need any more midfielders!? Surely a centre back, left back and striker?

with the all the midfielders being linked away if they go yes we will
But aren't they being linked away because they aren't playing - because we have too many!! I doubt Defour would be any different, nor would he walk into our team. Seems pointless selling a squad player (Holtby, Capoue) just to sign another.

I'm sure Villa want Ronaldo as well, doesn't mean they'll get him. And he's only linked with Anderlecht because they are the best Belgian side - and he's Belgian

Haha people say this every time. Classic "Forest would take Messi in a heartbeat." Fact of the matter is, we'd hear if bigger clubs were interested, and more often than not there's a reason if they aren't. I believe you that he's good, but based on what I've seen and the clubs interested, he's no upgrade.

But aren't they being linked away because they aren't playing - because we have too many!! I doubt Defour would be any different, nor would he walk into our team. Seems pointless selling a squad player (Holtby, Capoue) just to sign another.
I think it is all because it is a World Cup Year and it being in Brazil is a must for most.Any other time they would be happy sitting collecting there money or out on the piss.Gomes and Kaboul should be two players of the bill

Back
Top Bottom