Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had far too many midfielders befor Bentaleb was part of the team.

Whoever allowed this many midfielders at the club needs shooting, be it Baldini, Bald Levy or AVB.
It was always going to end in tears for a few of them.

Agreed - how dare we have squad depth and cover

:dawsonlol:

There's depth in squad and cover but what we have is ridiculous and causing player issues.

Would Holtby be asking to leave? Would Capoue be linked with clubs? Would Siggi be walking round with a face like a slapped Arse? Would Lamela be a £30 m forgotten man? And all this without Sandro and Townsend returning. 12 into 4 doesn't go..

Bentaleb is a ball-player not a ball-winner DM though?

Pretty sure he went 9 for 9 in tackles with three interceptions last game. I think he is very capable of both.

Our full squad has thirteen midfielders. You could make a reasonable starting 11 out of them and still have to leave two out. A couple have to go. The tears about a few potentially leaving are what is actually pathetic.

For the record this would be my all midfielder starting 11:
Chadli (GK)
Lennon Sandro Capoue Townsend
Paulinho Dembele Bentaleb
Lamela Eriksen
Siggy

Carroll and Holtby as impact subs. You could go to war with that side.

There's depth in squad and cover but what we have is ridiculous and causing player issues.

Would Holtby be asking to leave? Would Capoue be linked with clubs? Would Siggi be walking round with a face like a slapped Arse? Would Lamela be a £30 m forgotten man? And all this without Sandro and Townsend returning. 12 into 4 doesn't go..
I don't think we have 12 players competing for 4 positions - that's a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it

Currently as it stands

Wide players / Wingers - Lennon / Chadli / Lamela / Townsend - that is 2 per wing which is more than acceptable
Defensive Midfielders - Sandro / Capoue - 2
Central midfielders - Dembele / Bentaleb / Eriksen / Paulinho - 4
Attacking Mids - Sigurdsson / Holtby - 2

Bearing in mind we might see Timmy's 4-5-1 more often than not later in the season - that leaves a healthy competition of 2 per position, inclduig EL games - completely reasonable number for a team challenging for a strong finish - all top teams have strong cover in just about every position, not sure why we need to compromise.

In any case - seeing all of the above fit and available at the same time would be highly unlikely - as what this season has taught us so far

Last edited:
I don't think we have 12 players competing for 4 positions - that's a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it

Currently as it stands

Wide players / Wingers - Lennon / Chadli / Lamela / Townsend - that is 2 per wing which is more than acceptable
Defensive Midfielders - Sandro / Capoue - 2
Central midfielders - Dembele / Bentaleb / Eriksen, Paulinho - 4
Attacking Mids - Sigurdsson / Holtby - 2

Bearing in mind we might see Timmy's 4-5-1 more often than not later in the season - that leaves a healthy competition of 2 per position, inclduig EL games - completely reasonable number for a team challenging for a strong finish - all top teams have strong cover in just about every position, not sure why we need to compromise.

In any case - seeing all of the above fit and available at the same time would be highly unlikely - as what this season has taught us so far

Agreed they are not all for one or two positions but in Lamens terms there is still either 7 or 8 who will not be playing in each game.
Wait till everyone is fit, that means half won't even make the bench. The problem is, most of them are Internationals, so they won't be happy to be benched let alone out of the squad altogether.
So far injuries have helped the situation but when all are fit = nightmares..

You were clearly not at the gang-bang/orgy I attended in Croydon back in 97.

No really when the squad was being set up to play 4231

we have two per position, plus Townsend and Bentaleb who are both youth players outperforming expectation

Yes but we are more geared up for 4-4-2 these days. It still leaves too many internationals left out of the squad or team. We have 12 international midfielders which is too many..
I am probably wrong but can't see any other team having that many..

Sandro / Capoue
Dembele / Paulinho
Bentaleb / Holtby
Siggy / Eriksen
Chadli / Lennon
Townsend / Lamela

(Livermore / Carroll) On Loan.

14 in total. 12 at the club. I could see us shifting 3/4 in the summer. Which ones, no idea. But even with a 5 man midfield you would think 10/11 would suit.

Also, Wikipedia states Lennon is vice captain? Is this true and how the hell did I not know this?

Yes but we are more geared up for 4-4-2 these days.

I agree, we have a few too many for a 442 system - we have a few too few strikers as well.......but that doesn't mean either of these statements is true as we didn't build the squad to play 442 and you are only allowed a finite number of players:

It beggars belief that this amount of MF's was allowed in the first place.

Whoever allowed this many midfielders at the club needs shooting, be it Baldini, Bald Levy or AVB.

Sandro / Capoue
Dembele / Paulinho
Bentaleb / Holtby
Siggy / Eriksen
Chadli / Lennon
Townsend / Lamela

(Livermore / Carroll) On Loan.

14 in total. 12 at the club. I could see us shifting 3/4 in the summer. Which ones, no idea. But even with a 5 man midfield you would think 10/11 would suit.

Also, Wikipedia states Lennon is vice captain? Is this true and how the hell did I not know this?

this may be the key point here mate....if lennon was VC it would be news to me as well

Back
Top Bottom