Lennon: We gave speed a chance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree with your general assessment, not to mention his terribly underrated defensive contribution - something other other wide men such as Sigurdsson and Townsend have yet to realise what it actually means to drop back.

I like what he brings to our attacking movement and the fact he can run at defenders and push their line back with ease. Should not be sold unless we have a vastly superior player available or at the very least part of a rotations with Lamela and Townsend - see absolutely no value in letting him go

Last edited:
I see Lennon as a good sub, able to come on and change the dynamic but if we are a top 4 side he should not be in the first 11, he is far to 1 dimensional, for all of Townsend faults (greed be the main one) he has far more to his game than Lennon. Other teams like Chelsea, Man City and the cunts all have wingers with more rounded abilities than Lennon. The same could be said of Dawson and for that matter Soldado from what I have seen of him in relation to Lennon.

We can do better and the reality is none of the current top 7 would try and snap him up on current form (i.e. since 2010). People who support him go on about his 'defensive contribution' but in the game against Everton his average position was deeper than Walker's. I want an attacking winger not a second right back in the team.

Disagree with your general assessment, not to mention his terribly underrated defensive contribution - something other other wide man such as Sigurdsson and Townsend have yet to realise what it actually means to drop back.

I like what he brings to your attacking movement and the fact he can run at defenders and push their line back with ease. Should not be sold unless we have a vastly superior player available or at the very least part of a rotations with Lamela and Townsend - see absolutely no value in letting him go

Yes must be said Lennon does do a great defensive turn every game, do admire his work ethic.

People who support him go on about his 'defensive contribution' but in the game against Everton his average position was deeper than Walker's. I want an attacking winger not a second right back in the team.
May be he had to cover when Kyle went bombarding forward as part of Timmy's tactical instructions?

I'm not sure what your point is - I've pointed the exact same thing out to Zin

May be he had to cover when Kyle went bombarding forward as part of Timmy's tactical instructions?

I don't think you did.

Either way, Lennon has been dog shit the last few games. And the points @ Bardi Bardi raises about his lack of end product are valid. Sure it's great that he helps out at the back, but surely his primary role as an attacking player is to create chances and score goals.

or maybe he couldn't cope with pushing Baines back and Baines was pushing him back

Could well be the case. But as Baines is regarded as one of the best attacking full backs in the league I don't see much to be concerned about.

Lennon has been a little shoddy the past few games. But he is a very important / consistent player.Works very hard and does not seem to whinge.

Decent partnership with Walker. Knows when to hold off etc.

And he's to blame for that and not Walker for failing to assist?

Lennon hasn't offered much this season, if I wanted the odd game of brilliance per season I would have said keep Jenas or just play him when Evra is left back. Lennon has been average at best for a while and those still going on as if he's some top 4 gem seem to always fail to provide examples of what he offers other than 'defensive work'. He's a forward not a defender.

So it's lennon's turn to be slagged off is it now? Who needs enemies when you have friends like us?

He has never been a prolific scorer or assist maker but I always feel that the side offers far more balance and overall strength when is in in the team. His tactical discipline is very strong, sometimes to his detriment (perhaps the reason he was shit in the last match v Everton was Tim playing him in a front three.)

I don't doubt there are better players out there but we have far more pressing areas of the team which need replacing at the moment.

Lennon hasn't offered much this season, if I wanted the odd game of brilliance per season I would have said keep Jenas or just play him when Evra is left back. Lennon has been average at best for a while and those still going on as if he's some top 4 gem seem to always fail to provide examples of what he offers other than 'defensive work'. He's a forward not a defender.
He's 100 times the footballer Jenas could ever be - both ability and intelligence - wise.

The entire team has been average at best this season - with the exception of Eriksen and Paulinho at times.

Lennon is not a forward - he is a winger and if you've ever played the game you would know that all midfield units drops to defend when the ball is lost. Knocking him for that is preposterous, really.

All this with a predictable Lamela reach-around - a player who has shown absolutely fuck all this season to even suggest a place ahead of him

He's 100 times the footballer Jenas could ever be - both ability and intelligence - wise.

The entire team has been average at best this season - with the exception of Eriksen and Paulinho at times.

Lennon is not a forward - he is a winger and if you've ever played the game you would know that all midfield units drops to defend when the ball is lost. Knocking him for that is preposterous, really\

All this with a predictable Lamela reach-around - a player who has shown absolutely fuck all this season to even suggest a place ahead of him

He's a forward player not a striker, wingers do fall under that category unless you are mistaking him for a wing-back.

Back
Top Bottom