Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League next season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want us to be in the Europa League next season?

• Total voters
Interestingly, according to today's Football Weekly, City have fielded the fewest players this season. They didn't say if they meant just in the PL or in general, but despite that small nation's gdp–sized bench, they've not been much for rotation.
Pretty sure it was just the Premier League (as they mentioned that Cardiff will be going down having used the most players in the league). I think squad rotation is important, but it is very easy to overdo it, and influence results in a negative manner. Of course, if you have a small squad you're rolling the dice a bit, luckily for Liverpool they haven't had many injuries.

Yeah, it wasn't until we discussed this in the laff at gooners thread last week or so that I finally understood the fundamental fairness of the "non-champions" track.

Also a good reason to keep our coefficient up by playing in EL, whilst they could draw a hard team if they had a low coefficient it would be even tougher.

Also a good reason to keep our coefficient up by playing in EL, whilst they could draw a hard team if they had a low coefficient it would be even tougher.
Well, ok. But considering that judging by UEFA coefficient, Brazil is only the fourth best national team in South America, I would not consider improving said coefficient a major priority for Spurs.

I am a tottenham hotspur fan.
I like watching tottenham hotspur play football.
By competing in the Europa league tottenham hotspur will play more matches
I will get to watch tottenham hotspur play these matches

There are 4 more teams in the Championship.
If Tottenham Hotspur get relegated they will play more games.
I like Tottenham Hotspur.
I hope they get relegated and I will get to see these matches.

There are 4 more teams in the Championship.
If Tottenham Hotspur get relegated they will play more games.
I like Tottenham Hotspur.
I hope they get relegated and I will get to see these matches.
By this logic, the best thing to do would be to win the League Cup every year and lose in the EL and FA Cup finals and never seek promotion. Then we'd have all the champo matches, plus the full complex of LC/FA Cup/EL while still qualifying for Europe (in the third qualifying round) every season, ensuring another 19 EL matches.

But if we win the EL, we go to the CL, where we'd play fewer matches. And if we win the FA Cup, we'd go straight into the EL group stage, robbing us of two qualifying rounds.

I voted 'Yes' because I like us to be in Europe whatever and it gives us a chance to blood some of the youngsters, we don't have to play our full first team.

However, here is where I am split. For the love of God I want to go to the Lane for a Saturday 3PM kick off again. I fucking miss 3PM kick-offs on a Saturday!!!

Call me old fashioned...

I'm pretty sure we're going to be stuck with a rebuilding project and players leaving next season so would rather give Europa a miss for a year so we can build some consistency. Subsequently we could then build on that core

If we have a new manager i'd rather he gets a full week at the training ground every week as opposed to jetting to the armpit of Europe cobbling together random teams as a fatigue mitigation exercise

If all the players stay fit, who starts who is on the bench and who rots in the stiffs?

People have been slating Sherwood for not playing X, Y & Z forgetting he can only field 11 players at a single time.

We'd be better off playing the kids in the domestic cups as well, after all we dont want to win one of them and end up qualifying for the Europa.............
Seriously, what is this straw man shit? If we were out of Europe for a season... One season, we might have the opportunity to actually win something, instead of spreading ourselves too thin. I include domestic cups within that.

Under Harry things were different, we were playing good football, everyone knew what was asked of them and we had discipline and organisation within the club. In AVBs first season we had direction, but it has been slowly draining away to the point that we have no direction on the pitch currently and a lot of good players on paper who don't really know how to get the best out of each other.

Whoever comes in will not even get a full preseason due to the world cup and then midweek training sessions in August will be fucked up by Europa qualification. Our team will likely take until October to start playing as the manager wants, absolute earliest. What's difficult to understand about me thinking it's a distraction we don't need? Keep putting words in my mouth though, if you want.

By this logic, the best thing to do would be to win the League Cup every year and lose in the EL and FA Cup finals and never seek promotion. Then we'd have all the champo matches, plus the full complex of LC/FA Cup/EL while still qualifying for Europe (in the third qualifying round) every season, ensuring another 19 EL matches.

But if we win the EL, we go to the CL, where we'd play fewer matches. And if we win the FA Cup, we'd go straight into the EL group stage, robbing us of two qualifying rounds.
Wrong. You need a further relegation to League One so you can compete in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Been trying to avoid this thread as I knew I'd get drawn in and far too involved, but I've decided to yield and throw in my take.

Yes, I would like to see us hold on to sixth and qualify for the Europa, and these reasons are why:

1 - I'm not sure we'll have another chance to finish above Manchester United for the first time since the inception of the Premier League in the near future or ever in my lifetime again (and I'm young). It may sound trivial, but it certainly matters to me. After growing up with a lifetime being surrounded by bandwagoning Man U fans, it has been succulently enjoyable to see them ache with pain for the first time or even abandon the team altogether. I do not want the ones that have remained loyal, and that have compared and contrasted our brutal seasons with me, to suddenly have the ammunition to flip it on me and other Spurs fans by saying that after everything they went through they still managed to finish above us. Because they inevitably will. Call it naive, juvenile, etc I don't give a fuck, I very much want to see us finish above Manchester United.

2 - I think next season needs to be viewed as a rebuilding season anyway. Given the state of our unbalanced current squad, which is also leaderless and gutless; and the timing of the World Cup, having to bring in yet another new manager, and that some of the other teams around us will likely be strengthening significantly this summer, I think it would be unreasonable for us to expect top four next season anyway. What is reasonable however, is to expect to see a plan in place, progress in efficiency of play (possession and effective chances created in attack in particular), and to not be thumped again next year by anyone. While the Europa would likely limit our prospects on following weekend matches, it would afford a redeveloping squad more time for interaction and the manager more time for assessment.

3 - Put simply, I enjoy watching us play in Europe. If the aforementioned were all negated for a variety of reasons and we were under different circumstances, those things very well likely would overcome my wish to see us play in the tournament that has undoubtedly cost us vital points in recent seasons. But as things stand, I think it would be to our benefit.

Seriously, what is this straw man shit? If we were out of Europe for a season... One season, we might have the opportunity to actually win something, instead of spreading ourselves too thin. I include domestic cups within that.

Under Harry things were different, we were playing good football, everyone knew what was asked of them and we had discipline and organisation within the club. In AVBs first season we had direction, but it has been slowly draining away to the point that we have no direction on the pitch currently and a lot of good players on paper who don't really know how to get the best out of each other.

Whoever comes in will not even get a full preseason due to the world cup and then midweek training sessions in August will be fucked up by Europa qualification. Our team will likely take until October to start playing as the manager wants, absolute earliest. What's difficult to understand about me thinking it's a distraction we don't need? Keep putting words in my mouth though, if you want.

"Under Harry things were different, we were playing good football" Not prior to his arrival we werent, and he took over part way through the season (where we had Europa league football).

Surely the more competitive matches the better? And as I said no need to take the entire first team. Our squad is plenty big enough to cope and it means everyone gets a decent amount of game time.

Back
Top Bottom