The Mighty Spurs - Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ive been wondering for ages where all the everyday songs have dissapeared to? A simple rendition of "Tottenham Tottenham Tottenhaaaaaam...." or "Oh Tottenham we love you".."by far the greatest team" etc..never hear the normal stuff at all.

Away's only.

I bought tickets to Liverpool, West Brom & Southampton, with the intention of doing more home game this year.

It took two games to break me and I sold my Southampton ticket. Even when songs do get going they fade as quickly as they start.

There isn't an ounce of fun to be had inside that ground anymore.

Away's only.

I bought tickets to Liverpool, West Brom & Southampton, with the intention of doing more home game this year.

It took two games to break me and I sold my Southampton ticket. Even when songs do get going they fade as quickly as they start.

Yesterday was helped a little bit by around 50 saints fans trying to sing Oh when the Saints, only to be drowned out by us every time.

Went to QPR and it was good as we destroyed them and it wasn't that bad yesterday. Luckily I missed the two defeats so i've had a decent experience so far this season. Still probably end up doing more aways than homes and I imagine Villa will be a good one as it was last season.

Thought their fans were shite, Fulham aside, that has to be one of the quietest away supports. Mind you it is still an effort for our fans to get going and it appears we only have 3 songs, "Oh when the Spurs" (at least we mugged off Southampton with our version a couple of times today), "Come on you Spurs" and "Sol Campbel".

During the second half a group of them kept 'Oh when the Saints' going non-stop for a good ten minutes while the Park Lane was practically silent! Only heard the Sol song once from us, heard plenty of 'We are Tottenham, super Tottenham...' and a lot of chanting for Rose which was good to hear

Also felt the atmosphere was a little better today, not great by any means but certainly the first half the fans seemed up for it. Although I seemed to get lucky in that I had a few bunched around me singing which helped get some songs going in block 35. Makes a change from the usual negativity..

I was in a little group in 35 that was singing pretty well too, somewhere around row 19 I think it was, up near that metal barrier that separates it from 36. First half was good yeah.

Ive been wondering for ages where all the everyday songs have dissapeared to? A simple rendition of "Tottenham Tottenham Tottenhaaaaaam...." or "Oh Tottenham we love you".."by far the greatest team" etc..never hear the normal stuff at all.

There were plenty of everyday songs being started... but they just tend to die out after a couple of repeats. 'By far the greatest team' is far too Woolwichy for my liking though, thankfully don't generally hear that one these days

Also, I bloody hate it when block 36 gets given back to Spurs fans, as you end up with a kind of silent buffer zone between the more vocal part of the Park Lane and the away fans, because the people that buy there would usually be in another stand altogether or not at the game. Much more fun when you're up close to the away fans giving it a bit of stick back and forth!

Good result, enjoyed the game with sun beating down on me in the stands. That'll be the last time that happens until late April.
Anyhoo, thoughts coming out of the stadium. Poch has still got a lot of work on his hands to instill the 'philosophy'. There are areas where we need to gel better in the coming months. Too many panic passes under pressure that go wayward.

Overall Southampton were just about our level in terms of opponent, gave us a test and we came out on top but could have just as easily drawn or lost that game as we didn't exactly dominate.

Jan, who partnered captain Younes Kaboul at centre-back after the duo combined to good effect in last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Woolwich, was delighted with our defensive showing as we kept the Saints at bay in the second period.

“I thought we had a good game,” he said. “Southampton are a similar team to us but we defended very well.

“As we did against Woolwich, we showed what we are capable of as a team.

“The goal we conceded at the Emirates was a bit unlucky but this week we were strong at the back and the midfielders did a great job as well.

“The clean sheet is a bonus for us and for Hugo Lloris, who has been outstanding in the last couple of games.”

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/jan-post-southampton-061014/

They were bigging up Ade MOTD2 also, it was Trevor Sinclair mind but he was talking about all sorts of hold up play, strength, desire, link up with eriksen but I was at the game and for every good touch there were 2 bad ones. Does the difficult shit Hollywood back heels but makes a mess of a two yard pass or a simple knock down, lost count of the amount of times a move broke down as it got to him.
As for Eriksen he looked a bit anonymous at times but showed his class when we needed it.

I was in a little group in 35 that was singing pretty well too, somewhere around row 19 I think it was, up near that metal barrier that separates it from 36. First half was good yeah.
Yeah I was in row 19 and it helped having a few around all willing to sing. Only takes a few to get started and then more join in so the first half was better than some games over the past few seasons. It helped having the to and fro with the Saints fans too. "oh when the saints/spurs" "we sing our own songs/sing what we want"

Second half wasn't as good and as you say they had that decent spell of "oh when the Saints..".
However I think the game had an effect on the second half, we'd thrown away a 1-0 lead in the two previous games so it did get a little nervy in the second half and the atmosphere went pretty flat.

Still it was better than most games, other than the 1882 games I can't remember many home games I've enjoyed the last 2-3 seasons.
Bricklayers was rammed after the game too (busier than normal) so actually a rare decent day out topped off with a win.

I do like the idea of playing Chadli as a lone striker but would him being there mean he looses the surprise factor when he drifts in from the left? Same argument as Bale in the middle I suppose back in the day.

Why does everyone want to change something that's working so well? Chadli is doing a great job of making late runs from deeper and is getting most of his goals because of that. By starting on the left, he doesn't really have to worry about playing with his back to goal and involving others. He's doing exactly what we want form our left winger. Change the striker, give Kane or Soldado a shot, but don't change our player who is playing his role to perfection.

Last edited:
Away's only.

That is a depressing thought Ron. Football has become to much about money and business , it's choked the fun right out of it. The things people take for granted these days, bunch of spoilt impatient cunts feeding of each others bullshit.

Why does everyone want to change something that's working so well? Chadli is doing a great job of making late runs from deeper and is getting most of his goals because of that. By starting on the left, he doesn't really have to worry about playing with his back to goal and involving others. He's doing exactly what we want form our left winger. Change the striker, give Kane or Soldado a shot, but don't change our player who is playing his role to perfect.

The front 4 aint the problem. We need to get Capoue a proper partner like Modric lol and sort out the depth so it's like for like when we pick up an injury.

The front 4 aint the problem. We need to get Capoue a proper partner like Modric lol and sort out the depth so it's like for like when we pick up an injury.
I personally would like to see Kane or Soldado over Ade but keeping Ade as first choice doesn't bother me as much as some others. I quite like what I've seen of Mason though. He's a good passer that keeps the ball moving quickly and works hard on defense. His defensive stats in two games are almost double that of Benteleb's which has surprised me as Mason looks to be a pretty small guy. I know the sample size is small but if he keeps this type of play up I would love to see him as Capoue's partner.

Actually, now that I think about it more I'm even more impressed that he's put up these defensive numbers. He was thrown into two of the most challenging fixture we'll face all year. Away at the scum and home against a team that had won 5 in a row and happened to be our new manager's old team are no easy tasks. The fact that he has performed the way he has is nothing short of amazing. He deserves to keep playing and I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to improve as he's only played 2 games in the prem at this point.

Last edited:
I personally would like to see Kane or Soldado over Ade but keeping Ade as first choice doesn't bother me as much as some others. I quite like what I've seen of Mason though. He's a good passer that keeps the ball moving quickly and works hard on defense. His defensive stats in two games are almost double that of Benteleb's which has surprised me as Mason looks to be a pretty small guy. I know the sample size is small but if he keeps this type of play up I would love to see him as Capoue's partner.

Actually, now that I think about it more I'm even more impressed that he's put up these defensive numbers. He was thrown into two of the most challenging fixture we'll face all year. Away at the scum and home against a team that had one 5 in a row that happened to be our new manager's old team are no easy tasks. The fact that he has performed the way he has is nothing short of amazing. He deserves to keep playing and I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to improve as he's only played 2 games in the prem at this point.

We have not lost a game this season in which Ryan Mason has played.

Essentially what I am saying is he is the greatest player to have worn the shirt.

Back
Top Bottom