Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think when Capoue's form dropped everything fell apart. He's so crucial to how we play, gives license for the fullbacks to push on, shields our center backs, offers a strong presence in midfield. We need to give Dembele a shot to turn it around in that area of the field.
Agree, except Dembele would not replace Capoue. It would be Stambouli. Stamboule, like Capoue, spent some time playing CB and can cover the backline. I think he would also bring some energy to the team.

I think when Capoue's form dropped everything fell apart. He's so crucial to how we play, gives license for the fullbacks to push on, shields our center backs, offers a strong presence in midfield. We need to give Dembele a shot to turn it around in that area of the field.

He does look off it a bit. His style is Huddleston passing and running the game from the base of midfield which he is very good at, he's not a true DM like Sandro or Parker following runners the way they do, I do feel we miss a Sandro/Parker type.

Souness talking about how bad MP is as a manager. The man who won 2 cups as a PL manager, naused up Liverpool and could only manage some kind of success with the biggest teams of Scotland and Turkey.
Quite sick of Jamie sticking the knife in too. I remember him sugar coating everything Spurs when Daddy was there, and I never saw him moan about his pal Tim not starting Kane over Ade or Soldado.
Today MP started with Soldado and Adebayor, so did Tim and I remember Jamie congratulating Tim for putting the two of them up front.

Oh and I wouldn't mind Davies to start either.
He may not be great at running up and down the wing, but his delivery is pretty good.
Plus, Danny Rose needs a bit of a kick to remind him that his place isn't there for granted (in the PL).

It's about time, more of our cup players get a start in the PL.
For me the future is with Walker and Davis at FB.

Souness talking about how bad MP is as a manager. The man who won 2 cups as a PL manager, naused up Liverpool and could only manage some kind of success with the biggest teams of Scotland and Turkey.
Quite sick of Jamie sticking the knife in too. I remember him sugar coating everything Spurs when Daddy was there, and I never saw him moan about his pal Tim not starting Kane over Ade or Soldado.
Today MP started with Soldado and Adebayor, so did Tim and I remember Jamie congratulating Tim for putting the two of them up front.

Wouldn't get worried about commentators going for it understand some hate levy but some of the lack of professionalism is bizarre.

Agree, except Dembele would not replace Capoue. It would be Stambouli. Stamboule, like Capoue, spent some time playing CB and can cover the backline. I think he would also bring some energy to the team.
You are right, good suggestion, better than Dembele for the role. Completely forgot about him somehow.

Capoue is shite. Can someone explain what he actually does, or what he is good at?
Sorry, bud, but I have to disagree.

Capoue is not shit. He's just having a bit of a poor run.
Now whether that's down to himself alone or tactical reasons (aka Poch) ... who knows?

Capoue has been awesome at times, let alone the best player on the field.
But the problem with him starts, when Capoue starts venturing forward. Capoue is better at dictating plays and doing his defensive duties with a constrictive style applied to him. He's not good at being a box-to-box DM, which he's (trying) to be atm. Capoue was at his best - and should stick to that - when he just sits deep, brings the ball from the CBs and FBs, spreads the ball (while staying behind) with his wicked passing (especially his long balls), and then use his intercepting skill without venturing to far forward. Now that's the real Capoue and the best Capoue.

If Poch wants to play a DM who is good at going forward, then Benji is his man, which is why I really want Benji to get a PL start soon. As I said before about Benji ....... "I love his quickness to pass the ball and his eagerness to try to keep a tidy one-touch tempo going on. His passing is accurate and he knows how to spread the ball in every direction. And then there's is defensive aspect. He's quite the aggressive player." ...... Stambouli isn't necessarily better than Capoue, but he knows how to timely go forward without creating sloppy gaps behind him.

I`m getting fed up with all this cock about Kane not starting. It`s a squad game nowadays. Not 11 v 11. I`d rather start with Ade and Soldado, bring on Kane and win the game, than start with Kane, bring on one of the others and lose the game. It`s about results. Todays result suggests Poch got his tactics right. So fuck off with all the whining.

I`m getting fed up with all this cock about Kane not starting. It`s a squad game nowadays. Not 11 v 11. I`d rather start with Ade and Soldado, bring on Kane and win the game, than start with Kane, bring on one of the others and lose the game. It`s about results. Todays result suggests Poch got his tactics right. So fuck off with all the whining.

We were second best to a team that hadn't won a game for 5 matches.
Then they got a player sent off. Today's result might suggest he got his tactics right, he didn't.

Agree with most of your post, but I can't agree with that.

We were scrappy throughout, throwing in tackles and getting in scuffles. You could see on the players faces how frustrated they were it wasn't going our way. We were just being flat out outplayed. Being shit does not mean that we weren't working or fighting. Under Sherwood and at the end of AVB we had work ethic problems, this season I think for the most part that hasn't been the issue. We've just been lacking in quality and form.

Our strikers are shit, Eriksen has not taken the step up we hoped, Lamela is inconsistent as you'd expect from a 22 year old playing his first season. Our backline is missing its best player and the signings haven't broken into the side and thus they are error proof as they were last season when we led Europe in goals through defensive mistakes. None of those issues stem from effort IMO.

We were poor - but classic Spurs precedent suggested we would lose that game - so coming back to win it showed great character and hopefully galvanises the team going forward. We needed it. Dear Poch needed it.

That celebration really showed how much it meant to the lads. Also Lamela getting stuck in physically - loved it!

Last edited:
Some of the naughty boys were there then I see

#scenes

FixedUglyCoral.gif

Back
Top Bottom