Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Danny Rose has to be giving absolutely 100% to look half decent, mainly using his pace and getting lucky with his headless chicken approach. But he has little skill and a poor footballing brain. When he's not giving 100%, he looks severely limited: like today. Davies has more potential, but it will probably be a year until we really see it. Playing at Tottenham is hugely different to playing at Swansea. We'll have to wait and see if, mentally, he can hack it.

Ok as a defender I think when the play is in front of him he is improving as a defender and is doing well, however in scramble defending and having to track back he is ok in one on ones but it is in these situations he has a mistake in him like today or being out of position at start. He needs to sure up the defensive game first, that's how Baines has done it over the years, he has not had a bad season and improved on last that is for sure.
Baines is a much better footballer, and when Everton concede possession he is busting a gut to get back. Rose doesn't come close to Baines IMO, but he could match him in his effort, fitness and positional awareness. He had a point moaning at Vertonghan for their goal though.

Baines is a much better footballer, and when Everton concede possession he is busting a gut to get back. Rose doesn't come close to Baines IMO, but he could match him in his effort, fitness and positional awareness. He had a point moaning at Vertonghan for their goal though.

Of course not, nowhere near as good, just saying Danny needs to concentrate on the defensive side first like Baines did, with the attacking as a bonus which came more to the fore in the second half of his career.
Precisely get the positioning right, as I say when the game in front of him he is already 100% better than last year, when scrambling back from attacking thats when the errors are happening

Of course not, nowhere near as good, just saying Danny needs to concentrate on the defensive side first like Baines did, with the attacking as a bonus which came more to the fore in the second half of his career.
Precisely get the positioning right, as I say when the game in front of him he is already 100% better than last year, when scrambling back from attacking thats when the errors are happening
It doesn't take talent to run back - I think he's lazy - the weak side to his game should have been addressed by now.

It doesn't take talent to run back - I think he's lazy - the weak side to his game should have been addressed by now.

Yeah and that is a shame, as he should look at Kyle walker as his template, his fitness and effort unbeatable. He has to bust a gut if we are carrying a playmaker or two

You guys have a very short memory... He was one of our better players so far in the season and after just one, two bad games (and I don't even think he was the worst player today and last week) you're starting to write him off again.
Damn it, the whole team is in a bad shape currently and I can't understand why always he alongside Townsend and Ade are the first ones to blame. It's always the whole team being in bad form, not only these three.

I genuinely haven't noticed his lack of running back? Could someone please point me to it specifically?

Look at the goal yesterday. You would think after being beat, a player would want to make up for his mistake.

I said this in the Match Thread. Rose is in the Paulinho (Jenas) category. What exactly does he do for this team? He's fast? I cringe every time he gets a crossing opportunity. Our delivery from our fullbacks has unacceptable this entire season. Probably last season too.

From the cup games it looks like Davies is an upgrade in terms of crossing & tracking but lacks Rose's pace. Both have a tendency to be caught out of position. Think it's going to be Davies time to get a run in the first team soon. That being said I think Rose has been probably in our top 5 players this season (well behind Lloris, Chadli, Mason & Kane) and Davies hasn't exactly been tearing up in the cup appearances either.

I remember at the time it looked like Rose attempted a tackle, didn't come off for him but the way the ball rolled he expected Jan to come out to make the second attempt. I can't find a gif (quick search) which shows the actual build up rather than straight to the cross, but after the goal Rose is having a go at Jan for something (I believe not committing to a second tackle).

Either way it wasn't his best game for us yesterday.

I remember at the time it looked like Rose attempted a tackle, didn't come off for him but the way the ball rolled he expected Jan to come out to make the second attempt. I can't find a gif (quick search) which shows the actual build up rather than straight to the cross, but after the goal Rose is having a go at Jan for something (I believe not committing to a second tackle).

Either way it wasn't his best game for us yesterday.
Vertonghen definitely had to close down N'Zogbia instead of backing off him like he was Cristiano Ronaldo!

That's what I thought when watching it live, and then after Rose is in two minds whether to go for the second tackle or whether Jan is going to commit.

Watching their goal again and I'd have to say it's one of the worst goals I've seen us concede in a long time!

Our LB loses the ball to the RW who is then within distance to be closed down by our LCB but he stands off him and allows a ball in to their AM who ghosts straight past our DM to score. All 3 equally terrible in the lead up

Watching their goal again and I'd have to say it's one of the worst goals I've seen us concede in a long time!

Our LB loses the ball to the RW who is then within distance to be closed down by our LCB but he stands off him and allows a ball in to their AM who ghosts straight past our DM to score. All 3 equally terrible in the lead up
Not to mention jogging back

Glad you noticed this.
Sick of Capoue ball watching, we already have the position of ball watching Frenchman occupied!
:kaboul:

Vertonghen doesn't go for the ball after the Rose 'tackle' because he decided to cover space instead. Had he gone for the ball, he could've been outplayed easily. Villa had a dude coming into fails dangerous space from RCM position or something.

Bad defending by Rose and Capoue, possibly Kaboul also. Verts had to make a choice. In hindsight it might look like the wrong one, when he made the decision it was probably the correct one.

Davies hasn't exactly been tearing up in the cup appearances either.
Its hard to set the world alight as a LB. Davies is at a new team and is still getting to grips on what is required at Spurs. I think we should give Davies a run out.

I don't like unintellegent footballers and unfortunatly for Rose his footballing brain was swapped for speed! I think playing alongside a ball playing CB like Jan you need someone that can read the game, recognise if Jan is going to push up and sit/fill the space that he leaves.

We will never get the best out of Jan if he is playing along side Rose because he has a one track mind.

Back
Top Bottom