DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You all keep talking about Kyle The Lesser as if he and Yedlin will be Spurs at the same time. Naughton has been passed by Vlad and Dier on the depth chart. I will be shocked if he is here after January. I doubt we ever see him in a Spurs kit again.

Naughton has been recovering from ankle ligament damage since mid-October. He may very well be sold, but CHiriches and Dier have been above him in the pecking order due to injury, not because they are better options.

Naughton has been recovering from ankle ligament damage since mid-October. He may very well be sold, but CHiriches and Dier have been above him in the pecking order due to injury, not because they are better options.

My bad. I thought he'd been back in training for quite some time. Based on his lack of action in the face of Vlad and Dier's struggles, the only conclusion I could come to was that he was out in January. But if I was mistaken and he's been injured this whole time that would explain his absence. Thanks.

My bad. I thought he'd been back in training for quite some time. Based on his lack of action in the face of Vlad and Dier's struggles, the only conclusion I could come to was that he was out in January. But if I was mistaken and he's been injured this whole time that would explain his absence. Thanks.
Yeah, he was actually playing pretty well up until his injury. Not necessarily who I'd want every day at RB, but he is fine back-up. As a LB however.... :lamelashock:

Some of the poorest logic I've seen on this board ever. Gibraltar played Germany a month ago, 9 of their players played a whole 90 minutes. Maybe they're ready too?
We're mixing standards here.

Is Yedlin a good enough player at present to be a part of Spurs' first team squad is one question, is he ready to start at RB for Spurs tomorrow against Real Madrid is an entirely different one. And will he excel as a Premier League player over the second half of this season is a third totally different question.

I will defer to the managerial staff on how much time he needs to rest and train and acclimate himself before playing in games, and I certainly wouldn't fancy him to be an above-average starter if he were forced to play there the rest of the year. He needs a lot of seasoning. But if he's not at a basic level good enough to take a Premier League field at age 21 with the amount of experience he's had, we shouldn't have bought him.

I doubt he is ready at the moment, but again, you guys are acting like he'd flee the field in terror. He'd look like Erik Lamela last year or Eric Dier this year, a kid with some talent and a long way to go.

Is Yedlin a good enough player at present to be a part of Spurs' first team squad is one question, is he ready to start at RB for Spurs tomorrow against Real Madrid is an entirely different one. And will he excel as a Premier League player over the second half of this season is a third totally different question.

I will defer to the managerial staff on how much time he needs to rest and train and acclimate himself before playing in games, and I certainly wouldn't fancy him to be an above-average starter if he were forced to play there the rest of the year. He needs a lot of seasoning. But if he's not at a basic level good enough to take a Premier League field at age 21 with the amount of experience he's had, we shouldn't have bought him.

I doubt he is ready at the moment, but again, you guys are acting like he'd flee the field in terror. He'd look like Erik Lamela last year or Eric Dier this year, a kid with some talent and a long way to go.
Not at all comparable to Lamela. Dier is a decent shout, but Dier had spent a season at a CL club.

Not at all comparable to Lamela. Dier is a decent shout, but Dier had spent a season at a CL club.

Lamela's experience was much greater, but he looked more lost than his pedigree indicated.

Nabil Bentaleb, on the other hand, was considerably younger and had no professional experience at all and stepped in like he belonged from day 1.

I doubt he is ready at the moment, but again, you guys are acting like he'd flee the field in terror.

I don't see anywhere that anybody is infering this. i think you got reactionary over the idea that he wouldn't immediately be above everybody but Walker in the pecking order and took it this way.

Lamela's experience was much greater, but he looked more lost than his pedigree indicated.

Nabil Bentaleb, on the other hand, was considerably younger and had no professional experience at all and stepped in like he belonged from day 1.

This basically backs up my point. Lamela and Dier both are very talented young players much like Yedlin. However Lamela went from starting and staring on a very good Roma sqaud in Serie A to struggling here, and Dier went from a CL team in Sporting and has adapted quite well but has also struggled at times,albeit in not his natural position. Bentaleb has indeed done well but to say he didn't have "any professional experience" is a narrow way of looking at it. He spent a few years working with our coaches and in our facility while playing for the U21s something which I think would be good for Yedlin this winter/spring and has been my entire point this whole time.

I don't see anywhere that anybody is infering this. i think you got reactionary over the idea that he wouldn't immediately be above everybody but Walker in the pecking order and took it this way.

I just don't see why (once he's match fit and has learned the system adequately) you would move another young player who needs experience at his natural position (Dier), or move another natural CB whose only foray out there looked like kind of a disaster (Chiriches), or continue to throw good playing time after bad with someone who is no longer a developmental prospect and doesn't belong at this level (Naughton). When I raised this issue you said it was ludicrous to mention an experienced international in the same breath as a U18 player (KWP). But I'm the one being reactionary. Sure.

He spent a few years working with our coaches and in our facility while playing for the U21s something which I think would be good for Yedlin this winter/spring and has been my entire point this whole time.

Bentaleb only spent a little over a year in our academy, but whatever. If that's what's best for Yedlin's development I'm all for it, but no one would even mention that possibility if he was coming from Scunthorpe instead of Seattle.

I just don't see why (once he's match fit and has learned the system adequately) you would move another young player who needs experience at his natural position (Dier), or move another natural CB whose only foray out there looked like kind of a disaster (Chiriches), or continue to throw good playing time after bad with someone who is no longer a developmental prospect and doesn't belong at this level (Naughton). When I raised this issue you said it was ludicrous to mention an experienced international in the same breath as a U18 player (KWP). But I'm the one being reactionary. Sure.

Bentaleb only spent a little over a year in our academy, but whatever. If that's what's best for Yedlin's development I'm all for it, but no one would even mention that possibility if he was coming from Scunthorpe instead of Seattle.
That's daft mate. If he came from Scunthorpe, you wouldn't be on this crusade.

Naughton is certainly not the level RB I think Spurs should have starting if we are aiming to be a regular top-4 team, but he's hardly not fit for this level(Premier League) and has proven otherwise.

It will take time for Yedlin (or any new player) to get used to the system, he also needs rest, which you seem to agree with. There are 4 months left in the season, how quickly do you expect him to get up to speed and get rest and displace an experienced Premier League RB for the backup position? You can call him an "Expereinced International" all you want but the reality is he is a raw 21 year-old prospect with very little International expereince who is coming from a league on par with League One on a bad day and the Championship on a good day where he didn't exactly light up the world. I never said it was ludicrous to mention him over KWP, you're forcing the narrative again to fit your defensive stance. I said he's shown nothing YET, to prove he deserves a shot over him yet. Ideally neither of them need to get close to the first team yeat and instead can ease in so they are hopefully fully prepared when the time comes.

Bentableb was with the Academy for a year and the U-21's for a year before breaking through

Neither would these other folks, first of all.

But if we signed someone who had spent multiple full seasons as a senior player at Scunthorpe and shuttled him off to the youth team in favor of Kyle Naughton, I'd say we had wasted our money.

A) We barely paid shit for Yedlin
B) How short is your vision? If a player doesn't immediately figure in the first team squad he is a waste of money?

It will take time for Yedlin (or any new player) to get used to the system, he also needs rest, which you seem to agree with.

I do agree with this, and if this is all you're saying, we're fine. Is Yedlin better off just getting settled these next four months than trying to force his way onto the field? Very possibly, I'll leave that question for Poch & Co.

But that's not what you're saying. You're saying he isn't a good enough player to feature in a Premier League game.

Neither would these other folks, first of all.

But if we signed someone who had spent multiple full seasons as a senior player at Scunthorpe and shuttled him off to the youth team in favor of Kyle Naughton, I'd say we had wasted our money.
With respect, I don't think that's a great analogy - he cost £2 million - a small amount really. Naughton is a journeyman RB, but he can do a job there in a tough league. I think the chances are that Yedlin will fail at Tottenham - the price tag suggests Spurs think that also. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I think you are underestimating the quality of the league he's joining.

Either way, you keep deflecting down to one small comment made to avoid the greater point. We can keep mucking around in a theoretical Yedling vs. KWP debate or focus back on the point that neither of them should be sniffing the fieldin a Premier League match this season.

Your call really

Back
Top Bottom