Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
He was classic Townsend today for me, infuriating lack of end product and bad choices.

If he were just bad all around, you could just write him off as completely useless. It's almost worse that he give you those flashes of talent and promise, but fucks it up 9 times out of 10.

He's so bad at decision making that he needs a couple years on loan to sort that out...except, he's already had those loan spells. The problem for me, therefore, Is that there's no signs of improvement. Without that improvement he's a player for Everton and we need better. Unlike Lamela (who has improved but can't afford too many bad performances) and unlike Chadli who has spells good and bad and scored a fair number of goals for us last season. C needs dropping a few games. If you're Poch how do you make Townsend improve?

You guys need to ease up the criticism to this guy. He is wasteful, but he can help us from time to time. He didn't have his best game, but neither did Lamela/Chadli.

You can argue that he is the reason we have failed to get 4th for the past few seasons.

To average 1 prem goal and 1 prem assist per season for us AS A WINGER in open play has cost us many points. And we were not that far off 4th. He's cost us many striker crisis and has decimated the form of whoever is playing behind him.

Just another entertainer that glory chases instead of passing to others. Fucking furious. He flat out ignored Ngie like he did Trippiers runs in previous games. It's those tangiables that can wreck a player. Look at Soldado to see what Townsend buildup will do for you. Is he going to do that for Ngie? Kane? He is not just fucking up from his position, his brand of football effects the form of everyone around him.

I've been a reader of this sight, a lurker, or whatever forum goers call it, for a while, and this is the first time I've actually felt a need to say something...

Jesus fucking Christ people, this lad is Tottenham through and through. To give such intense and extreme criticism, is just plain wrong.

Stop scape goating this guy. Yes, he's not perfect, he's not Ronaldo, I know that, you know that, the fucking manager knows that.

Some talk about lamela as the second coming now, after 2/3, admittedly, very good games...but Townsend is not the antichrist...to suggest we have missed out on CL football because of him, I just don't know where to begin.

If that comment is supported in any way, then burn in hell.

There's far too many posters on here, that don't even know the meaning of Tottenham. Potentially, couldn't even find it on a map.

There's even a poster on here, who's first team isn't even Tottenham, yet his 'scouting' of players, his opinion of Tottenham is seen as gospel...

I'll stop anymore biblical analogies...but fuck...who do you people think you are sometimes?!

some posters, I'd suggest, talk about our great, worldly youth, who haven't even played a full match for us, but give this guy so much stick.

This is fucking Tottenham, this is my team, some talk so much shit, no wonder we're seen as an embarrassment to other fans.

I'm ashamed at the above post...phoney fan...end of.

FWIW, Season ticket holder for last 10+ years.

Yes he picked the wrong option a few times, but he did nearly win it for us if not for a terrific save. Jesus the stick Andros gets is way over the top. Chadli and Lamela did less in more time on the pitch it seems like Townsend is just everyone's favorite whipping boy.

I've been a reader of this sight, a lurker, or whatever forum goers call it, for a while, and this is the first time I've actually felt a need to say something...

Jesus fucking Christ people, this lad is Tottenham through and through. To give such intense and extreme criticism, is just plain wrong.

Stop scape goating this guy. Yes, he's not perfect, he's not Ronaldo, I know that, you know that, the fucking manager knows that.

Some talk about lamela as the second coming now, after 2/3, admittedly, very good games...but Townsend is not the antichrist...to suggest we have missed out on CL football because of him, I just don't know where to begin.

If that comment is supported in any way, then burn in hell.

There's far too many posters on here, that don't even know the meaning of Tottenham. Potentially, couldn't even find it on a map.

There's even a poster on here, who's first team isn't even Tottenham, yet his 'scouting' of players, his opinion of Tottenham is seen as gospel...

I'll stop anymore biblical analogies...but fuck...who do you people think you are sometimes?!

some posters, I'd suggest, talk about our great, worldly youth, who haven't even played a full match for us, but give this guy so much stick.

This is fucking Tottenham, this is my team, some talk so much shit, no wonder we're seen as an embarrassment to other fans.

I'm ashamed at the above post...phoney fan...end of.

FWIW, Season ticket holder for last 10+ years.
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Spot on.

Jesus fucking Christ people, this lad is Tottenham through and through.

Is he? He got his big contract after his England game and what was the first thing that happened? He started doing video game contracts, he started shagging a reality TV star, he even went to the USA WHEN INJURED to make $$$ with the BBC.

He should be not working so hard OUTSIDE Tottenham when injured. He should be getting his head down and not making headlines on the "about town" section of the newspapers.

Just because he grabs the badge does not mean he's beyond reproach. He does not play for Spurs does he? He shoots on sight. He plays for himself. He IGNORES Spurs players. So how does that make him Spurs through and through? That empty chest beating is ACTING. Which is something I'm sure his agents will have him doing after football since they like to make him jump through hoops.

Saying he is Spurs through and through is not actually following Spurs closely. His head has been turned by the England fame and he's done a Harry: He took his eye off the ball at Tottenham and he suffered for it.

Stop pandering with the super fan thing. It's more acting.

I'm more Spurs because I know what damages the club. Andros Townsend DAMAGES Spurs. He's not Spurs through and through: He is the cracks in our foundation.

Is he? He got his big contract after his England game and what was the first thing that happened? He started doing video game contracts, he started shagging a reality TV star, he even went to the USA WHEN INJURED to make $$$ with the BBC.

He should be not working so hard OUTSIDE Tottenham when injured. He should be getting his head down and not making headlines on the "about town" section of the newspapers.

Just because he grabs the badge does not mean he's beyond reproach. He does not play for Spurs does he? He shoots on sight. He plays for himself. He IGNORES Spurs players. So how does that make him Spurs through and through? That empty chest beating is ACTING. Which is something I'm sure his agents will have him doing after football since they like to make him jump through hoops.

Saying he is Spurs through and through is not actually following Spurs closely. His head has been turned by the England fame and he's done a Harry: He took his eye off the ball at Tottenham and he suffered for it.

I'm more Spurs because I know what damages the club. Andros Townsend DAMAGES Spurs. He's not Spurs through and through: He is the cracks in our foundation.
You are the cracks in our supporter base. Stop trying so hard on every single post to prove yourself right. Take yourself less seriously.

22218_popcorn-loop-infinite.gif

You are the cracks in our supporter base. Stop trying so hard on every single post to prove yourself right. Take yourself less seriously.

Sure. This happens when I don't rate a player. But when I rate players like Kane and others like Wikipedia Brown and Joe Clash claim he's too slow etc (before he scores 30+ goals in one season), or I back Jan and Dembele and get laughed at for that...It's different right? I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

It's particularly funny since Joe clash and Beale etc are making fun of Davies. I get shit for backing players like Bentaleb and Mason..Then when they play well, it's all forgotten since the knee jerk on here can be almost instant.

There is actually a link. The link is I get shit if I don't back ENTERTAINING players. Dembele, Davies, Bentlaeb etc do a lot of work that goes under the radar because they are not dazzling dribblaz like Lennon and Townsend as they were used in DM positions.

This is just more backlash. People can't handle the truth so when it's painfully obvious that they are wrong, people just still claim I'm not a proper fan because it's easier to remain in denial than just pretend I was right about Townsend, Soldado, Lennon etc making us soft and predictable.

Claiming Townsend is Spurs through and through? SPURS WERE OPEN. SPURS COULD HAVE BEEN ONE ON ONE WITH THE KEEPER. And Townsend goes for goal. Selfish.

You guys need to ease up the criticism to this guy. He is wasteful, but he can help us from time to time. He didn't have his best game, but neither did Lamela/Chadli.
He's decision not to cross to clinton on that counter lost us 2 points. He was also so predictable - get the ball on the wing drive inside a shoot a low strong but straight at the keeper shot. I can't see anything he adds to our game I would have rather had Lennon and his terrible end product over townsend

He has now played 87 games for Spurs. To put that in perspective Klinsmann played 68.
He has done absolutely nothing in a Spurs shirt. He looked good for QPR, and has had one or two good games for England. It takes a lot for me to give up on a player, but I give up on him. He shows nothing. Time to cut the cord and send him on. I hope he goes on and has a great career, but I can't watch him any longer

Yeah, fair play a bit, I did come across all 'super' fan....Wasn't my intention, just feel quite passionate about the, sometimes, hatred for this lad.

I'd suggest you're taking his off field antics a little too seriously. He was injured when he went to the states, wasn't he? Whats he meant to do, twiddle his thumbs while his tendons knit back together? I'm sure permission was given by the club. Well, I'm not sure, as I'm not privilege to this information, but I'd damn expect it to.

This isn't about who is more Tottenham...and yes, I get frustrated with him too, but I see him as part of our improving squad, a cog, in a giant wheel. just think the man could do with our support. I like seeing a Tottenham fan play for Tottenham.

And when he scores his first, and maybe only goal of the season, I'll be the first to clamour down to the corner flag and celebrate with him.

Not all our players can be superstars, but a sprinkling of townsends are not going to lose us the chase for glory.

Just as an example, love Harry Kane, but he's missed a few chances this year...how many points has that lost us...we should start a table with players who have, in the fans eyes, 'gained/lost' us points. Would be interesting...

Anyway, said my piece, thanks for responding.

Last edited:
Its fair to say that Townsend would have probably have gone in the last window if we'd have had a decent offer for him.

He didn't and he's still here.

I still think he is a great impact player, definitely the most direct of all our attacking options. But soooooo wasteful and does consistently make the wrong decision.

It's a difficult position because he's obviously trying to show his worth a to start getting back into the starting 11.

Meh. He'll score a winning goal in a couple of weeks and be a Tottenham poster boy for the weekend... same as Lamela.

Yeah, fair play a bit, I did come across all 'super' fan....Wasn't my intention, just feel quite passionate about the, sometimes, hatred for this lad.

I'd suggest you're taking his off field antics a little too seriously. He was injured when he went to the states, wasn't he? Whats he meant to do, twiddle his thumbs while his tendons knit back together? I'm sure permission was given by the club. Well, I'm not sure, as I'm not privilege to this information, but I'd damn expect it to.

This isn't about who is more Tottenham...and yes, I get frustrated with him too, but I see him as part of our improving squad, a cog, in a giant wheel. just think the man could do with our support. I like seeing a Tottenham fan play for Tottenham.

And when he scores his first, and maybe only goal of the season, I'll be the first to clamour down to the corner flag and celebrate with him.

Not all our players can be superstars, but a sprinkling of townsends are not going to lose us the chase for glory.

Just as an example, love Harry Kane, but he's missed a few chances this year...how many points has that lost us...we should start a table with players who have, in the fans eyes, 'gained/lost' us points. Would be interesting...

Anyway, said my piece, thanks for responding.
There are some complete nonces that post on here, with all kinds of shit ideas about the players, club, management.
"Support" is just that, and some people need to understand where they fit in the cosmic pecking order - too many posters seem to think that they have to outdo the TV pundits in showing off their in-depth "understanding" of the games, playing skills, management, tactical subtleties, transfer market etc etc

Most of the people that gob off about this shit are generally the biggest idiots on here, and my guess is that you probably replied to one of them (I know the quality of the people that I have on ignore)

Yep - Townsend isn't Pele, but he's an honest grafter who tries his best and is a good back up who will keep the oppositions defenders on their toes because of his speed. He's a bit like Ronnie Rosenthal - he'll either play a blinder or make you wish you had gone blind.

Back
Top Bottom