MERSON

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's one of 365's faves.

Today.

It’s Friday so it’s Paul Merson Day. And he is sure Woolwich will win because they ‘simply have to’. But they should ‘beware’ of Wayne Rooney, whose passing is still brilliant…

Could it be magic?
It’s Friday; it’s Paul Merson Day…

* On Woolwich v Manchester United: ‘The game will probably go how it does all the time. Woolwich will turn up, dominate the game and United will break on them and score. Despite that, I’m going to go for an Woolwich win because they simply have to.’

The Gunners have beaten United just twice in 17 meetings since 2008 and just once in the Premier League in that sequence. If only they had ‘simply had to’ beat them before.

* On Chelsea v Southampton: ‘Chelsea simply have to win this game, they have to win.’

There’s a lot of it about. And teams famously always win games ‘they simply have to win’.

* ‘West Brom are a funny team. They went to Villa and won quite comfortably, then they were 2-0 up flying at home to Everton and threw the lead away.’

It’s almost like Everton are a far, far better team than Aston Villa.

* ‘Bournemouth are going to miss Callum Wilson, I don’t care what anybody says, that is a massive blow.’

Who are all these people going round saying losing Callum Wilson is not a massive blow?

* ‘I watched Leicester the other week where they were 2-0 down against Stoke and fought back to win 3-2. That was all well and good but you don’t want to keep falling behind because sooner or later you won’t come back.’

Like last week against Woolwich, Merse?

Mediawatch: Gunners beware! Of Rooney! - Football365
If teams "famously win games 'they simply have to win'" then I'm confused for a moment as to why there are any teams that get relegated every season.

Last edited:
Paul Merson has pinpointed why McDonald’s rule the world, and Van Gaal is a tactical chump…

Paul Merson’s magic guide to business
As far as Mediawatch is aware, Paul Merson does not have a Business or Economics degree. And yet he has entirely nailed the secret of McDonald’s’s continued success on Sky Sports:

“Just think of massive fast food companies. They make all that money and create all that success, selling more hamburgers and more chips and more drinks than anyone else, but they still spend on adverts. Woolwich should have spent in the summer.”

We’re lovin’ it.

Trouble shooting
“If one of the centre-halves or strikers gets injured they’re [Woolwich, who else?] in trouble,” said Merson. You mean like when Gabriel came in against Liverpool, Newcastle, Stoke and Manchester United and they kept clean sheets, Paul?

Magic advice of the day
Paul Merson on Jurgen Klopp: ‘It’s different over here, and he will need to get used to it.’

Diminishing returns
‘I wouldn’t rule them out of a top-eight finish,’ is Paul Merson’s balls-on-the-line verdict on Crystal Palace (who are ‘a different kettle of fish’, apparently. To what is never made clear).

As his September 4 prediction was that they would finish fifth, we should bloody think not.

What’s coming in November? ‘Merson fancies Palace for top half’? By February they might be primed for survival.

One more from Merse
‘City without those two [Silva and Aguero] is like taking the City out of Manchester.’

Sorry, what?

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-why-Woolwich-should-be-like-mcdonalds

How does he get paid to say that shit? I bet the avarage poster here would do a better job.

I'd bet the below average poster here could do a better job.

I bet this guy could do a better job than him.

tumblr_ntz8igKN3r1qfzcnbo1_400.gif

Paul Merson believes Spurs – currently 7th in the Premier League – “should be top” were it not for a lack of fortune this season.

Spurs are unbeaten since suffering an opening day defeat to Manchester United, with their eight-game unbeaten run the current longest of any Premier League side.

Among that run however are five draws – also the most of any side – but Merson believes Spurs are “bang unlucky” not to be top of the league after nine games.

“They should be top of the league,” he told Sky Sports. “They went to Old Trafford and they should have got a point. They were 2-0 up against Stoke City, and they threw that away.

“They should have beaten Everton at home and they should have beaten Swansea away.

“You put all those points together, and I think they are in a false position. I’ve been impressed with Tottenham, and that’s coming from me. I think they’ve been bang unlucky.”

Where Spurs’ ‘bang unluckiness’ was when they scored two offside goals – one very clearly so – in their 4-1 win over Manchester City last month was, no-one knows.

Oh, Merse.

Merson says Spurs 'should be top of the league' - Football365

He's not wrong.

But he's also showing that his predictions are due to the fact he wants us to lose as opposed to actually predicting a result.

"I’ve been impressed with Tottenham, and that’s coming from me."

This quote right here says it all about him and pundits like him. When they are reporting on teams there should be absolutely zero bias. What this quote says to me is he's usually a bias shithead when it comes to Tottenham but even right now he can't hide the fact that they've impressed him.

What an embarrassment he is.
:pochfacepalm:

Quite.

He is of course, correct. However, his true motive is in setting out a classic troll trap: everyone knows his history will prompt his innate anti Spurs bias. He is looking towards the NLD at the Deathstar, and, in his view, a certain Woolwich victory, and the subsequent opportunity to revert to type: "I bigged Spurs up recently, but now it's obvious that it's the same old Tottenham etc etc ad nauseam"

I know it's wrong, but I am already really, really looking forward to that game.

:pochserious2:

NB: the reason the last 4 words are in quotes is because he will actually say them, probably on Sports Saturday, at.... let's say 12:55pm on the 7th November.

:chadliblow:

"I’ve been impressed with Tottenham, and that’s coming from me."

This quote right here says it all about him and pundits like him. When they are reporting on teams there should be absolutely zero bias. What this quote says to me is he's usually a bias shithead when it comes to Tottenham but even right now he can't hide the fact that they've impressed him.
Agreed. I think it would be unreasonable to expect that the pundits to not have their own favorite boyhood clubs, but to actually try to make light of publicly admitting your bias against a certain club is simply unprofessional.

Agreed. I think it would be unreasonable to expect that the pundits to not have their own favorite boyhood clubs, but to actually try to make light of publicly admitting your bias against a certain club is simply unprofessional.
I don't know if you have heard of John Motson, but he is the doyen of English football commentators. He is a closet Spurs fan - not widely known outside Spurs circles - but you would never guess from his commentary. Then again, he is a professional.

Gary Neville seems to be professional enough not to show bias. Charlie Nicholas and merson can not, but then what can we expect from a pair of drug addled Woolwich lovers

I don't know if you have heard of John Motson, but he is the doyen of English football commentators. He is a closet Spurs fan - not widely known outside Spurs circles - but you would never guess from his commentary. Then again, he is a professional.

The last of a dying breed.

:walkercry:

That specific arsehole who commentated on our game on MOTD.
Nobody on Earth talks like that, except him.
Irritating little Klopp sucker.

Pearce? That must be who you mean. Yeah, he's a stupid cunt.

Not Pearce. At least you know his name. There are so many commentators now that most of them are effectively anonymous. This particular chap has been blighting football highlights for fucking ages....OK I'll see if he's name checked at the beginning of our 90 seconds coverage on MOTD and ....I've deleted it.

Back
Top Bottom