Up For Sale ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the only way. We just have to build a young, ambitious squad who grow into title winners. If Borussia Dortmund can do it, so can we.
Their model is completely different to ours - never going to happen here. Not to mention their 80 000 stadium and fanbase - Germany's 2nd biggest club compared to England's 6th (at best)

Their model is completely different to ours - never going to happen here. Not to mention their 80 000 stadium and fanbase - Germany's 2nd biggest club compared to England's 6th (at best)
They've got that support now. They were less than 5 years removed from near bankruptcy though when they won the title.

And the gap between them and Bayern is a lot more than ours to Man Utd.

It's a long-shot, I agree, but it's not impossible.

They've got that support now. They were less than 5 years removed from near bankruptcy though when they won the title.

And the gap between them and Bayern is a lot more than ours to Man Utd.

It's a long-shot, I agree, but it's not impossible.
Difference is they've always had that support and stadium

They are Germany's second biggest club - we are England' 6th at best

Not to mention the German 51% supporter-based ownership, a model completely unthinkable in England. I also read somewhere they have Europe's highest average home game attendances - higher than the Barcelona and Real Madrid

Not to mention the German 51% supporter-based ownership, a model compelyely unthinkable in England
The ownership model doesn't change the difference in financial resources. Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Bayern Munich all have substantial subsidies from their corporate minority owners. BVB don't have that. And with their ticket prices being what they are, it weakebs the impact of how many supporters they have.

The ownership model doesn't change the difference in financial resources. Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Bayern Munich all have substantial subsidies from their corporate minority owners. BVB don't have that. And with their ticket prices being what they are, it weakebs the impact of how many supporters they have.
Bayern Munich aside, Dortmund are Germany's second biggest club in terms of achievements, turnover, as well as 'stature'.

Also in Wolfsburg and Leverkusen's cases - those are not 'minority' holders - they essentially own and subsidise the entire club - VW and Bayer respectively, while their achievements are minor compared to BVB both historically as well as financially

Also - BVB were on the brink of bankruptcy 10 years ago - I don't think our situation is quite comparable - have a read at this

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/10/borussia-dortmunds-road-to-recovery.html

Last edited:
Bayern Munich aside, Dortmund are Germany's second biggest club in terms of achievements, turnover, as well as 'stature'.

Also in Wolfsburg and Leverkusen's cases - those are not 'minority' holders - they essentially own and subsidise the entire club - VW and Bayer respectively, while their achievements are minor compared to BVB both historically as well as financially

Also - BVB were on the brink of bankruptcy 10 years ago - I don't think our situation is quite comparable - have a read at this

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/10/borussia-dortmunds-road-to-recovery.html
I've read that. And still think we can do it. BVB came back from a crisis to win a title in half a decade. We will become from a lot less farther back. I am not saying it would be sustained. Until we've got the new stadium, nothing would be. But the possibility is there to steal a title.

I am not saying we will do that next year, but in a couple of years, once our core players have matured, it could happen.

I've read that. And still think we can do it. BVB came back from a crisis to win a title in half a decade. We will become from a lot less farther back. I am not saying it would be sustained. Until we've got the new stadium, nothing would be. But the possibility is there to steal a title.

I am not saying we will do that next year, but in a couple of years, once our core players have matured, it could happen.
Difference is - they only had Bayern Munich competing against - we have 5 other clubs

So did Swansea few seasons ago - doesn't make them bigger than us

Wolfsburg and Swansea aren't even comparable.VFL won the league title less than 10 seasons ago. Plus he's not saying they are bigger, but that they were/are strong competition towards the top of the table. Backed up by them finishing 2nd and being there for the majority of the season I suspect.

Just like we aren't in any way whatsoever comparable to BVB - yet parallels are being drawn

I'll give you that one. I can see the logic as they had a young team, we have a young team etc. In all honesty our competition is a lot stronger than theirs which I think is the point you were kinda getting at. Not right to say they had zero competition and only Bayern to compete with. Schalke have gone to the latter stages of the CL recently (I remember at least 1 QF and SF)

Tottenham could get huge cash injection from America and China as they seek to hold on to Mauricio Pochettino
14 APRIL 2016 • 11:45AM

Tottenham Hotspur's desire to keep impressive head coach Mauricio Pochettino out of the clutches of his growing list of suitors could be boosted by Jeff Moorad’s attempt to secure finance to invest in the club.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport in November, former American sports agent Moorad has held discussions with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over his interest in putting money into the club and appointed a UK-based adviser to help him.

It is understood that since the initial discussions, Moorad has sought extra backing from China and elsewhere, and sources in America even claim a term sheet has been signed over a proposal, although that remains unconfirmed.

Moorad, who is the former minority owner of both the Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres Major League Baseball clubs, has refused to comment on his interest in Spurs and it is unknown whether he is looking at a deal to finance the £400 million new stadium or whether he wants to buy a stake in the club.

Tottenham owner Joe Lewis puts the total value of the club, plus the new stadium, at around £800m and Moorad does not have the personal wealth to launch a full takeover bid on his own. But the promise of major investment from Moorad, and possibly Chinese backers, would be a boost to Spurs and could also help to convince Pochettino to sign a new contract extension and ignore interest from Manchester United and overseas clubs.

Pochettino has just over three years to run on the contract he signed when he took over at Tottenham in 2014. But the club want to reward him for his impressive work that has seen Spurs challenge for the Premier League title this season with a new five-year deal worth £5.5m a year.

The Argentine has insisted he is extremely happy at White Hart Lane, but has also indicated he is in no rush to sign a new contract after warning earlier in the season that the building of a new stadium could make his job more difficult. Pochettino wants to be sure that he will not suffer the same difficulties as Woolwich manager Arsene Wenger, who had to sell his best players and saw spending restricted following the move to the Emirates Stadium.

“I have read a lot about Arsene Wenger saying the toughest period for Woolwich was in the period that they built their stadium and I think you need to know, and the people need to know, that this is a very tough period for us," said Pochettino in February. “We need to be careful because we need to arrive at the new stadium in very good condition to try to fight for everything, and try to show that we are one of the best clubs and teams in the world.”

Large investment from Moorad, or elsewhere, would help smooth that transition. In 2014, Spurs received a preliminary takeover approach from private investment company Cain Hoy, but the group was unwilling to meet the asking price.

Moorad made his name as one of the leading American sports agents, in partnership with Leigh Steinberg, in the 1980s and negotiated over $3 billion in athletes’ contracts. He was partly the inspiration behind the character Tom Cruise played in the film Jerry Maguire and served as a technical consultant for the 1996 Oscar-winning production, in which he made a cameo appearance.

While Levy has been seeking outside investment to help the new stadium project, Tottenham have seen some of their Premier League rivals negotiate significant cash injections. Everton have recently received a huge financial boost that will help their stadium plans with Farhad Moshiri becoming the new major shareholder, while Swansea City are in talks with a US investment group fronted by Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan.

Meanwhile, French reports claim that Tottenham’s pursuit of Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi is being helped by Pochettino’s old boss Marcelo Bielsa. Former Marseille manager Bielsa is thought to be sending Pochettino, who worked under him at Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina, reports and DVDs on Batshuayi’s performances.

West Ham have also been chasing Batshuayi, but the Upton Park club have stepped up their interest in Liverpool’s Christian Benteke by making an enquiry over whether or not the Belgian would be interested in joining them.

Tottenham could get huge cash injection from America and China as they seek to hold on to Mauricio Pochettino
14 APRIL 2016 • 11:45AM

Tottenham Hotspur's desire to keep impressive head coach Mauricio Pochettino out of the clutches of his growing list of suitors could be boosted by Jeff Moorad’s attempt to secure finance to invest in the club.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport in November, former American sports agent Moorad has held discussions with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over his interest in putting money into the club and appointed a UK-based adviser to help him.

It is understood that since the initial discussions, Moorad has sought extra backing from China and elsewhere, and sources in America even claim a term sheet has been signed over a proposal, although that remains unconfirmed.

Moorad, who is the former minority owner of both the Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres Major League Baseball clubs, has refused to comment on his interest in Spurs and it is unknown whether he is looking at a deal to finance the £400 million new stadium or whether he wants to buy a stake in the club.

Tottenham owner Joe Lewis puts the total value of the club, plus the new stadium, at around £800m and Moorad does not have the personal wealth to launch a full takeover bid on his own. But the promise of major investment from Moorad, and possibly Chinese backers, would be a boost to Spurs and could also help to convince Pochettino to sign a new contract extension and ignore interest from Manchester United and overseas clubs.

Pochettino has just over three years to run on the contract he signed when he took over at Tottenham in 2014. But the club want to reward him for his impressive work that has seen Spurs challenge for the Premier League title this season with a new five-year deal worth £5.5m a year.

The Argentine has insisted he is extremely happy at White Hart Lane, but has also indicated he is in no rush to sign a new contract after warning earlier in the season that the building of a new stadium could make his job more difficult. Pochettino wants to be sure that he will not suffer the same difficulties as Woolwich manager Arsene Wenger, who had to sell his best players and saw spending restricted following the move to the Emirates Stadium.

“I have read a lot about Arsene Wenger saying the toughest period for Woolwich was in the period that they built their stadium and I think you need to know, and the people need to know, that this is a very tough period for us," said Pochettino in February. “We need to be careful because we need to arrive at the new stadium in very good condition to try to fight for everything, and try to show that we are one of the best clubs and teams in the world.”

Large investment from Moorad, or elsewhere, would help smooth that transition. In 2014, Spurs received a preliminary takeover approach from private investment company Cain Hoy, but the group was unwilling to meet the asking price.

Moorad made his name as one of the leading American sports agents, in partnership with Leigh Steinberg, in the 1980s and negotiated over $3 billion in athletes’ contracts. He was partly the inspiration behind the character Tom Cruise played in the film Jerry Maguire and served as a technical consultant for the 1996 Oscar-winning production, in which he made a cameo appearance.

While Levy has been seeking outside investment to help the new stadium project, Tottenham have seen some of their Premier League rivals negotiate significant cash injections. Everton have recently received a huge financial boost that will help their stadium plans with Farhad Moshiri becoming the new major shareholder, while Swansea City are in talks with a US investment group fronted by Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan.

Meanwhile, French reports claim that Tottenham’s pursuit of Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi is being helped by Pochettino’s old boss Marcelo Bielsa. Former Marseille manager Bielsa is thought to be sending Pochettino, who worked under him at Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina, reports and DVDs on Batshuayi’s performances.

West Ham have also been chasing Batshuayi, but the Upton Park club have stepped up their interest in Liverpool’s Christian Benteke by making an enquiry over whether or not the Belgian would be interested in joining them.

To me , that just seems a poor journo effort to fit the "Poch to whoever " story into another article .

Matt Law indeed , I'll give you Law , you little stirring scally way

:dembelefingers:

Not to mention the German 51% supporter-based ownership, a model completely unthinkable in England. I also read somewhere they have Europe's highest average home game attendances - higher than the Barcelona and Real Madrid

Name your five bigger clubs mutt?

Name your five bigger clubs mutt?

Much as I would like to think of us as still historically holding our place in the big five.

The five clubs ahead of us

Manure
Woolwich
Chavs
Shitty
Dippers

Forget rivalries and where they are in the league, their budgets are far away ahead of ours. We can go some way to changing that by continually developing as we currently are.

Back
Top Bottom