🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈 England vs USA - Friday, 7pm, ITV 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good One Lol GIF by Justin
I said no rainbows!

As a defensive mid? Yeah.

As a player in a more offensive role? Nah.

Declan Rice is a DM who does DM stuff. If that means he's a donkey then so be it, but it's a necessary role for most teams & he's very effective at doing it. He could work on a more progressive passing range but otherwise he's easily one of the bigger defensive midfield prospects out there.

I think he's a better all round player than Pierre. And I like to think I rate him more than lots of Tottenham fans seem to. One thing about Rice is that he's actually fantastic at running with the ball, but for whatever reason doesn't do it anything like often enough.

Thing is, if Southgate could get the Chelsea version of Mount, that would be okay. But for England he's woeful. It can only be on the manager that he gets so little out of what should be our creative players like Foden and Mount.
true but hasn't Mounts form dipped a bit for Chelsea also? either way Foden is clearly a much better player to me. Crazy to not have him on the pitch at all.

I think he's a better all round player than Pierre. And I like to think I rate him more than lots of Tottenham fans seem to. One thing about Rice is that he's actually fantastic at running with the ball, but for whatever reason doesn't do it anything like often enough.

He doesn't trust his passing range. His biggest weakness.

If he works on it & learns to pass forward more, he will be a world class defensive midfielder. The defensive work is there, the ball carrying is there, it's just passing.

true but hasn't Mounts form dipped a bit for Chelsea also? either way Foden is clearly a much better player to me. Crazy to not have him on the pitch at all.

I think they've all struggled this season with the exception of Reece James. I'd never choose Mount of Foden. But you could understand it a little more at least if he did the same things for England as he does for his club. But Mount has 5 goals in nearly 35 games in an England shirt which is pretty poor to say the least. And I think a couple of them were in his first handful of games.

Foden's record is far from great to be fair in an England shirt but he's never been given anything like a run of games.

I think they've all struggled this season with the exception of Reece James. I'd never choose Mount of Foden. But you could understand it a little more at least if he did the same things for England as he does for his club. But Mount has 5 goals in nearly 35 games in an England shirt which is pretty poor to say the least. And I think a couple of them were in his first handful of games.

Foden's record is far from great to be fair in an England shirt but he's never been given anything like a run of games.
I think Southgate seems to base a lot of his selection on past England performance. it's crazy really as 99% of the football being played is in the prem, yet he'll happily select guys who played well 2 years ago at the last tournament over guys dominating in the prem.

Lies No GIF

Declan Rice is a perfect example of why you don't get high off of your own supply.

It was hilarious watching the Yank midfielders turning him in circles.

He is pants.

Edit: Rice doesn't even have the most tackles out of Wet Spam defensive CMs this season. LOL.

Playing week in/week out with Tomáš Souček really flatters this fool.

Declan Rice is up near the top alongside Rodri/Fabinho when you look at stats related to defensive actions over the last couple of seasons ... and he's top for defensive actions in midfield this season full stop.

You've got nothing solid to back up this anti-Rice shite. His defensive contributions are impeccable and the raw data supports that. You can criticise how he then progresses the ball afterwards but it's not even really his job.

I think Southgate seems to base a lot of his selection on past England performance. it's crazy really as 99% of the football being played is in the prem, yet he'll happily select guys who played well 2 years ago at the last tournament over guys dominating in the prem.
He said as much, there's no seems about it.

Calls it "club England" or something like that.

You're clearly on a bit of a wind up. Soucek has been pretty garbage for West Ham for a while now in comparison to his first 6 months or so there. Rice gets man of the match for them most weeks. He had a poor game against the US but who didn't, outside of the two centre-backs? He and Bellingham were also up against three midfielders and spent the game getting over run. That's down to Southgate.
Disappointed Premier League GIF by MolaTV

Declan Rice is up near the top alongside Rodri/Fabinho when you look at stats related to defensive actions over the last couple of seasons ... and he's top for defensive actions in midfield this season full stop.

You've got nothing solid to back up this anti-Rice shite. His defensive contributions are impeccable and the raw data supports that. You can criticise how he then progresses the ball afterwards but it's not even really his job.
NhEJfo3.jpg

They've lost 9 times already in the league this season. He sits in front of the CBs and points a lot. Then, when they're losing, he'll make some late "gut-busting" runs which usually end up with him turning the ball over.

Last season, Soucek was EVERYWHERE. Soucek's form has dipped this season.

NhEJfo3.jpg

They've lost 9 times already in the league this season. He sits in front of the CBs and points a lot. Then, when they're losing, he'll make some late "gut-busting" runs which usually end up with him turning the ball over.

Last season, Soucek was EVERYWHERE. Soucek's form has dipped this season.

Yes. It's Declan Rice's fault that his team has performed badly. The defensive midfielder is the problem.

He sits and points? I just told you he's performed more defensive actions than ANY OTHER MIDFIELDER in the league. How are you STILL going to suggest all he does is points? Did you read what was posted at all?

I guess if we're blaming Rice for West Ham's bad form, he gets ALL the credit for their European run last season (where he was MOTM in numerous games) and their high league finish. Because we're just pretending football isn't a team game now and everything...

Yes. It's Declan Rice's fault that his team has performed badly. The defensive midfielder is the problem.

He sits and points? I just told you he's performed more defensive actions than ANY OTHER MIDFIELDER in the league. How are you STILL going to suggest all he does is points? Did you read what was posted at all?

I guess if we're blaming Rice for West Ham's bad form, he gets ALL the credit for their European run last season (where he was MOTM in numerous games) and their high league finish. Because we're just pretending football isn't a team game now and everything...
ni487VI.png

He has less tackles than Soucek this season.

He has less tackles than Soucek this season.

So? Soucek is a very active, hard working midfielder. Rice has the joint most interceptions of any PL midfielder this season, and is ninth for tackles made.

Rice also makes 61 passes a game to Soucek's 35, almost twice as many accurate long passes & fouls less than half as much because he's not running round like a headless chicken to bulk up his tackle stats.

He sits, intercepts, tackles when needed, shields & makes forward runs when needed. Statistically his role is almost identical to someone like Fabinho and extremely similar in terms of the numbers they put up.

Back
Top Bottom