433 or 4411

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower

Supporter
Redknapp in the past few weeks has said how we are playing 433, which I take to mean a front 3 of Bale, Adebayor and Lennon with Rafa in a midfield 3.

Surely yesterday we played 4411?

If anything it was a bit of a 4-2-4 at points, Bale was obviously wherever he wanted to be and Lennon was pretty high up too. That being said, Rafa was dropping pretty deep too.

I think Rafa played higher up the pitch yesterday than he normally does. Very rarely saw him coming to get the call of the defenders.

Here is the average position of all the players (including subs)

mszvC.jpg

It's something between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-1-1 - van der Vaart can drop back in to make a 3-man midfield if necessary.

I think his average position is skewed by taking corners btw.

EssexYid said:
Looks as I'd want. but Lennon and Bale aren't wide enough for my liking.

I'd say that Lennon played very wide right but that position may include the time he was (inexplicably) switched to the left depsite looking our most obvious threat down the right early on...

WindyCOYS said:

Yup, for vdV in particular I was wondering how come he winds up so far advanced when he tends to drop quite deep...this makes sense now, thanks Windy.

Just thinking about how the game ebbed and flowed, it seems now (on reflection) we play a transformational formation - if such a thing exists. Without the ball we seem to go 4-4-1-1 or a more traditional 4-5-1, but once we have possession it looks from the graphic as if we try to get to a 2-4-3-1 as quickly as possible (or 2-4-4), which is insane...

WindyCOYS said:
It's something between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-1-1 - van der Vaart can drop back in to make a 3-man midfield if necessary.

For every corner he takes the two centre backs come forward to attempt to get on to the end of it - but their average position seems to remain largely unaffected

not saying you are wrong, but it can't just be that

Blanchflower said:
For every corner he takes the two centre backs come forward to attempt to get on to the end of it - but their average position seems to remain largely unaffected

Think about it though, even taking corners into account (for the CBs), all this does is momentarily move their position into the box [then we screw up the corner] and they bugger off back. vdV on the other hand, will sprint back just quicker than Corluka (sp) and goal-hang for a bit.

Also, aside from the odd Kaboul rush of blood, the CBs tend to patrol pretty much the area between where they're depicted and the edge of the box (when we have the ball) or back to the goal-line (when we don't) - in that context I think there is something in what Windy is saying.

Just my two cents...

Back
Top Bottom