A Philosophical Objection to VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm still sore over what happened with Leicester because it goes beyond a disallowed goal. I feel the decision robbed us of our naturally earned momentum and gave it to the other team; just as I knew we would win when we scored the second goal, I knew we would lose when the goal was taken away.

I feel that what happened on Saturday has serious long-term implications for the integrity of the sport. Do we now penalise the team that works hard to gain the initiative in the match and turn the fruits of that labour over to the team that sits on its backside for 65 minutes?

What are your thoughts?

I'm still sore over what happened with Leicester because it goes beyond a disallowed goal. I feel the decision robbed us of our naturally earned momentum and gave it to the other team; just as I knew we would win when we scored the second goal, I knew we would lose when the goal was taken away.

I feel that what happened on Saturday has serious long-term implications for the integrity of the sport. Do we now penalise the team that works hard to gain the initiative in the match and turn the fruits of that labour over to the team that sits on its backside for 65 minutes?

What are your thoughts?
nothing changed on Saturday - this type of decision has been happening with VAR in the other countries it is being used be that a call on a penalty or a call on a questionable offside. It normally goes to the bigger team.

Those who like VAR will continue to point to things it does right and excuse those that are wrong with ironing out the flaws / it was human judgement that was wrong.

It takes away more than it adds to the game imo, there was no overwhelming call to bring it in (the poll prior to introduction had 60/40 against) and they did not perfect it before bringing it in (Goal line technology had to be perfect before they allowed its use in the big leagues).

I honestly was in favour of it initially, but the way it's being used to scrutinise every aspect of every goal has destroyed the elation of celebrating and now I just feel trepidation when we score.

It's shite in it's current form, ruining the game in my view. If it has to be used then only for clear and obvious errors which is what i thought was the original intention. Spending minutes and drawing dodgy lines down from players knees, shoulders etc to line up with lines across the pitch to detemine someone is 1.6 cm offside and gaining no real advantage is against the spirit of the game in my view.

No issue with goaline tech, detest VAR. Its sucking all the spontaneity out of the game and I detest the managers like mark Hughes, who blame every defeat on the officials, are the reason, along side sky claiming contested throw ins were controversial decisions, that we have it.

No one asked for or expected it to be implemented this way, mm offsides, ridiculous new handball interpretations that differentiate between defenders handball and attackers handball and finally the old boys club where the VAR ref sees a clear and obvious error but doesn't do anything cos he don't want to upset his pal on the pitch.

Scrap the fucking thing.

It's shite in it's current form, ruining the game in my view. If it has to be used then only for clear and obvious errors which is what i thought was the original intention. Spending minutes and drawing dodgy lines down from players knees, shoulders etc to line up with lines across the pitch to detemine someone is 1.6 cm offside and gaining no real advantage is against the spirit of the game in my view.
It's working as originally intended, clear and obvious and matters of fact... Offside was always considered a factual thing.

I hate var so not sticking up for it but this was the original stated intention.

It's working as originally intended, clear and obvious and matters of fact... Offside was always considered a factual thing.

I hate var so not sticking up for it but this was the original stated intention.

Clear and obvious onfield errors are being ignored by the VAR ref, what are you on about ?

Seems to me that VAR is incompatible with the essence of footie. IMHO, goal line technology was right, but enough. Footie is a game of immediacy and passion. When you are at a game, what you live for is when your side scores. All hell erupts, it’s bloody marvellous. VAR steals that from you. Apart from the goal line, footie does not have to be a game of inches.

Seems to me that VAR is incompatible with the essence of footie. IMHO, goal line technology was right, but enough. Footie is a game of immediacy and passion. When you are at a game, what you live for is when your side scores. All hell erupts, it’s bloody marvellous. VAR steals that from you. Apart from the goal line, footie does not have to be a game of inches.
Other than the US (?) there are issues with it everywhere - my opinion is formed from various podcasts but Spain / Germany / Italy still dislike it - it takes away more than it gives. Its not just teething issues and its not just the way the EPL have decided to do it.

Other than the US (?) there are issues with it everywhere - my opinion is formed from various podcasts but Spain / Germany / Italy still dislike it - it takes away more than it gives. Its not just teething issues and its not just the way the EPL have decided to do it.

It was better when football had the same rules for every competition. I can't even remember when it started to go the wrong way. VAR in a league cup match, but not in european qualifiers ? I think one of the reasons why football was so fascinating and attracted such a big audience world wide was that no matter what match you watched it was played under the same rules. Now you have to look up the rules before you start watching a match ....

It was better when football had the same rules for every competition. I can't even remember when it started to go the wrong way. VAR in a league cup match, but not in european qualifiers ? I think one of the reasons why football was so fascinating and attracted such a big audience world wide was that no matter what match you watched it was played under the same rules. Now you have to look up the rules before you start watching a match ....
I kind of agree and have used that argument myself but have no objection to goal line technology and those championing VAR believe it could be as streamlined.... I do not.

I kind of agree and have used that argument myself but have no objection to goal line technology and those championing VAR believe it could be as streamlined.... I do not.
of course not... Just look how they call it in england: video assistant referee. In germany they call it: videobeweis ( Video evidence) I will not list up all the different rules because that would take too much time 😅 Maybe one day the UEFA orFIFA will come up with a system on which all countries can agree on. But I think before that happens it is more likely that I will pay with € for my beer in the new stadium 😝

Even though I'm a Spurs supporter having watched Sheffield United's disallowed goal against us last week made me realise just how silly this whole thing is becoming. It was an embarrassment to football and there have been so many other incidents like it.

This is not why it was introduced. It was meant to be an aid for the referee but they are now failing to make use of the pitch side monitors, not coming to a decision of their own and allowing the God VAR to decide a team's fate.
Meanwhile the fans sit bemused and baffled, waiting for the 'Checking Goal' sign to signify the result.
The VAR chief reckons it's 7/10 for how it's performing :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :

It's making a mockery of our beautiful game and is doing nothing to modernise or enhance it. Used correctly I can see the advantages but in it's present state it is making a fool of football.

Back
Top Bottom