a team& squad built for 6th/7th?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well time and time again we get the world class striker chat, yet not one name is ever mentioned, who?? If I was levy I would simply turn round and say hang on I spent 20+ on one of the best forwards in la liga 12 months ago and now you want another one in a system that only needs one?

Ade looks tired maybe age catchung up with him but it's all about the 3 guys behind as the goals proved yesterday, the striker just holds up and forms a pivot for the 3 others to cause havoc and they did for huge periods of game, as did dembele, should have closed game out but sadly didn't - but the performance was good again

Defence is the issue, Can't wait to see Jan and Fazio while Poch really works on Vlad and Dier as players

Well time and time again we get the world class striker chat, yet not one name is ever mentioned, who?? If I was levy I would simply turn round and say hang on I spent 20+ on one of the best forwards in la liga 12 months ago and now you want another one in a system that only needs one?

Ade looks tired maybe age catchung up with him but it's all about the 3 guys behind as the goals proved yesterday, the striker just holds up and forms a pivot for the 3 others to cause havoc and they did for huge periods of game, as did dembele, should have closed game out but sadly didn't - but the performance was good again

Defence is the issue, Can't wait to see Jan and Fazio while Poch really works on Vlad and Dier as players

We've had a makeshift defence all season so far. My hope is that we'll bd better with a settled defence. But, competition is fierce this season. I don't see us finishing top four.

We've had a makeshift defence all season so far. My hope is that we'll bd better with a settled defence. But, competition is fierce this season. I don't see us finishing top four.

We won't finish top 4 sadly, where we are until we add to squad and Poch gets same time Brendan has basically an amazing season is 5th a bad one is 7th that's how narrow it is, we can't finish anywhere else but between those positions. This is why they are doing stadium and all now as there is not much risk or never knowing how we will end up like other teams

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, defence was the priority and they looked at it seriously in the summer. Hopefully with the new signings we will improve there, so what is the next priority?
Like you say, Ade maybe has 1 year left in him and if he gets injured or loses form we turn to Soldado. He seems like a decent bloke, but I can't see how anyone can claim he has shown yet that he was the right signing. What would you base that on?
So the next priority to improve the team is a striker I reckon.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, defence was the priority and they looked at it seriously in the summer. Hopefully with the new signings we will improve there, so what is the next priority?
Like you say, Ade maybe has 1 year left in him and if he gets injured or loses form we turn to Soldado. He seems like a decent bloke, but I can't see how anyone can claim he has shown yet that he was the right signing. What would you base that on?
So the next priority to improve the team is a striker I reckon.

Yeah the new signings will help that defence, the next priority there is letting Poch work with what we have for a while I think, then maybe we add players in our weakest areas in January if needed

No absolutely, my point is always think about this from Levy POV, he pays more for Bentley than Modric, more for Bent than Bale etc he would argue if Soldado didnt work what guarantee any next flavour of the month "World Class striker" who clearly arent interesting the other big teams, as we get him, would be any good either. And we still have no names of any who are guaranteed like a Falcao or Costa to walk in and improve our team, if someone of that standard was available and wanted to come to our 6th place club, amazing, but they dont exist and we cant waste 300m like united can.

I liked Bony and Lukaku I think they would be upgrades but didnt get either and nothing out there impresses me really, the striker is dead, all about the attacking midfielder anyway, as world cup showed, James, Ronaldo, Messi were the stars, 20 years aho it was Bergkamp, Batistuta, Klinnsman, Stochkov

All about the 3 behind firing, who bagged 2 yesterday

I do wish we had gone all out for depay and remy when they were free. With fazio, Davies and the like I think we will get better defensively but I do worry about our chance to conversion rate but as I don't expect top 4 with this squad I can live with that.

With the players we have, finishing 6th will be a good season. Finishing 5th would be an excellent season. The days of top 4 are over. It would be great to get a cup run. This club badly needs a trophy.

& the endless whining about people whinging is so much more attractive.
U3YDW5o.jpg

There are far too many Meh players in the team for me. 6th, 7th, is about right for the squad I think, 5th would be a very good season indeed.

The annoying thing for me is Redknapp was right when he had a pop at the Spurs fans saying we never had it so good.

I look at the team now and don't really get excited like I did in the Jol days with Lennon and later on with Modric, VDV, Bale etc.

We just can't compete with the top teams and need to accept it for now, and by that I mean don't get in a massive strop about not beating teams we would normally expect to as we just don't have the quality anymore.

After QPR win: "We're going to win the EL and finish at least third, the squad is damn awesome with someone like Poch"

After one point in two games: "We've no chance to compete with the top teams, our squad just isn't good enough"

Seriously, why the hell do you think the likes of Liverpool, ManUnited and Woolwich are that much better? Pool has better strikers, but do you really think Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard are really better than Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Dembélé and Capoue? Sure, they defeated us but they know their system for some years now contrary to our team.
Woolwich only have one striker and I honestly think that Ade and Soldado are both better or at least as good as Welbeck. They don't even have a really solid holding midfielder and although Sánchez and Ramsey are quality, their other good players like Wilshere and the Ox are as injury-prone as Sandro. Not to mention their defense with Calum Chambers having to play CB...
And United maybe have better players but half of the players is at Manchester for only a month now and they'll have to find themselves as a team and tactically.

Aside from Chelsea and Shitty I don't see any team indvidually so much in front of us that a great coach like Pochettino isn't able to beat 'em.

I honestly believe we have a squad that can compete with top 4/5 spot this season. I also believe luck plays a big part? We are all fed this nonescense that the PL is competitive, it's not. It all about when you play teams within the fixtures , PL, CL and so on. . I know it's the same for all teams but it's all about the cards you are dealt?

Last edited:
We are good enough to beat the PLs journey teams but need to get results against the big Boys. Let's see how we get along against the scum in two weeks. These games are our cup finals. (we used to be good in cup finals).

IMO we already have what it takes to get 4th or better.

We just need Eriksen, Lamela and Ade to stay fit.

Also never play Rose, Lennon, Naughton, Townsend and Soldado in the league or on the bench.

IMO they suck the oxygen out of our potential.

Last edited:

We just need Townsend, Lamela and Ade to stay fit.

Also never play Rose, Lamela, Naughton, Townsend and Soldado in the league or on the bench.

I guess you meant Eriksen instead of Townsend and (next paragraph) Lennon instead of Lamela?

Also never play Rose, Lamela, Naughton, Townsend and Soldado in the league or on the bench.

How wrong can someone be?
Others mock us and call us deluded .

Shameless goon troll - be gone!

Last edited:
Not sure what players are needed? How can we know?
Other teams in the PL, with lesser mortals are having a great start to the season which clearly demonstrates team spirit is a factor not individuals. We all seem to identify players as being strengths and weaknesses against results whereas its the a team game. Mr P has got us playing as a team and this will continue to improve, only then can we look at certain positions to see whats needed. To blame or choose to suggest that certain players at this stage are the reason for our doomed failure is wrong. Players improve as the season moves on.

This notion of being a "striker away from top 4" is bollocks. You could buy 10 strikers and they could all turn out shit. Look at Chelsea..its taken them years to replace Drogba and a shit load of money later they finally have one. We don't have the time or money to keep buying strikers every time one of ours is shit.

We spent obscene money on one of the most prolific strikers around and he turned out to be practically useless.

Personally feel the 3 we have at the moment is adequate we just need to keep working on them under Pochetinno.

disagree. look at the difference with Chelsea having costa & how much they missed a top striker last year.

also, your say are forwards are adequate. surely 8th or 9th will be an adequate finish? I think we should be aiming higher than adequate. lets sell lloris & get rob green as he is an "adequate" keeper.

Back
Top Bottom