Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to say he isn't a player I've ever connected with. I think this is primarily down to how aloof he's been. Did he ever give an interview as a Spurs player?

This isn't a criticism of him though and when it was revealed that he has suffered from mental problems most of his playing career it makes it all the more understandable.

As a player, he was capable of doing some amazing things but he was also totally invisible in many other games. I can only imagine the abuse he would get from huge portions of the fanbase given the stick that Lucas gets today (the two of them IMO were very similar players).

There were a group of players from his Spurs era that have been with us for a very long time (Lennon, Dawson, Rose, Defoe, Livermore, Hud and many more etc......) that in years gone by might have had testimonials (I get these are almost never given nowadays because they don't need the money) or time to say goodbye to the fans properly. I think there's a great opportunity for this group to be reassembled and paraded in front of the fans at the new stadium. I think we've been denied this and most were just moved on.

Maybe would be good to see him at The Lane for the AC Milan game seeing he was so instrumental in 2011.

Happy retirement, Aaron.

Very intelligent player and underrated in that respect. Many, especially non-Spurs fans, would see Lennon as nothing more than that old school speed merchant winger with very little end product but could be a menace on his day. But he was a clever player. Very good finisher too when given a chance, very cool under pressure and incredibly unselfish.

But that type of player would never break through and succeed nowadays like Lennon did in his pomp. Different era, different abilities and needs nowadays. He was just what we needed though at the time after a spell of utter dross. Seeing him come in, along with the likes of Carrick blossoming, Defoe being the main man, King before the knee injuries, Robinson when he was one of the best in the league etc. was a real bright spark of the mid 00s.

Very happy memories of him.

One of the first being early in his career when a ManCity defender was trying to shepherd the ball out of play for a goal kick confident there were no Spurs players close. He'd obviously not appreciated the speed with which Lennon could run, and rom a standing start on the half way line, Lennon's explosive pace took him the halfway line, past the ManCity defender picking up the ball just before it went out for a goal kick and attacking the ManCity goal. Man City player looked traumatised.

But he wasn't only about speed, I recall Jol changing him to being a no 10 when playing Chelsea, a game we were certain to lose. But Lennon operating in the centre confounded Chelsea and unbelievably we were deservedly (thanks to Lennon) 2-0 up at HT. Sadly we couldn't repeat that half ending up with a 2-2 draw - but given we were expecting a big loss it was a great result ...... and something Chelsea fans wanted to forget,

And then Lennon's assist making shown up in that 9-1 mauling of Wigan with Defoe taking pride of place with 5 goals and I think Lennon a hat trick of assists, but could have been more.

I think we were lucky to see him at his best, and to be fair we played a big part in his development and the peak of his career.

Best of luck for his retirement

But he wasn't only about speed, I recall Jol changing him to being a no 10 when playing Chelsea, a game we were certain to lose. But Lennon operating in the centre confounded Chelsea and unbelievably we were deservedly (thanks to Lennon) 2-0 up at HT. Sadly we couldn't repeat that half ending up with a 2-2 draw - but given we were expecting a big loss it was a great result ...... and something Chelsea fans wanted to forget,

Indeed, I was there for that game - it completely threw Chelsea as they had no idea what to do with Lennon playing in a centre forward role, and we dominated that first half. Berbatov going off in the 2nd half didn't help us, and then IIRC, Defoe smashed the crossbar for us late on (maybe last minute?)

One of my favourite memories of Lennon, and I may have mentioned this elsewhere before was not even one where he was playing for Spurs. It was the build up to a World Cup (2006 maybe), and Sky Sports News were at the England training ground and reporting from there. The footage they were showing (might have been live) had Lennon running at John Terry. Lennon shimmied left and right and left over and over very quickly, Terry didn't know what to do and was in complete panic mode and simply fell over in a heap on his arse.

I laughed my tits off - unfortunately, I've never seen the footage since.

The flick with the outside of his boot whilst 17 feet up in the air to setup Tainio against wham at their old place in 2007.

And other stuff too, as mentioned here.

Enjoy your retirement, Aaron, and stay well.

Last edited:
Loved Lennon for a long time, .he had everything you'd want in a winger apart from consistent ball striking.

Best Memories:

1) Winner vs Chelsea in 2006
2) Run and assist for Crouch at the San Siro in 2011
3) goal vs Woolwich in 2013.

Best Goal? Probably away to Fulham in 2011 - sexy give and go with Bale, and body swerved their defenders into the Thames,

Love Aaron Lennon. Spurs legend. From the minute he arrived, under Martin Jol in 2005, Spurs luck changed. We've been on an upward curve since then. We never lost a game he scored in and he scored and assisted some big goals in some big games. Frightening pace and on his day unplayable.

I always felt sorry for Wayne Routledge who was signed to compete for the same role in the team with Lennon. Routledge was originally given the nod ahead of Lennon and started off well for Spurs in the opening fixtures of 05 / 06. He got injured away at Portsmouth and Lennon got his chance. Routledge never got a look in after that. Edgar Davids spent time with Lennon after training working on his game. It paid off.

One Aaron Lennon.

I wish him all the best.

Played 364 games for Spurs, bagged 30 goals and 79 assists...so basically he was involved in a goal every 3.3 games...that's pretty solid stuff. For reference, that dickwad Theo Walcott was involved in an Woolwich goal every 2.1 games...but factor in he played loads as a CF and had a better surrounding cast, and what Lennon achieved is pretty impressive in comparison.

Whenever he picked up the ball on his wing and started running at the opposition with them mad fast little legs of his, there was just a special thing in the air...you just sensed anything could happen. He was that type of player that puts bums on seats, proper exciting lad.

Thanks for the memories, son. You go enjoy retirement. Be well.

 COYS

Loved watching Azza. Wasn’t player of the season for nothing. Showed up in big games. Brought excitement and pace - remember them? - and made live football worth watching.

Him, Bale, Modric, VDV… dreamy football.

Loved watching Azza. Wasn’t player of the season for nothing. Showed up in big games. Brought excitement and pace - remember them? - and made live football worth watching.

Him, Bale, Modric, VDV… dreamy football.

Don’t forget Thud!!

But yes we were good to watch then

Don't think it would be ott.. to say for ???!3?4 ... Seasons he was 100% unplayable.. from the edge of the box to the goal line NO defender could handle him... I remember.
Ashley Cole AT HIS PEAKE absolutely losing the plot... Out side the box unfortunately and
Trying to kick the fuc out him. Embarrassinly. Missing by a mile ... LOL 4 me , up there with the great post 70s winger s. Ginola Overmars Giggs Barnes .ect ect
One of heralded brethren that delivered from beginning to the end of his time with us..monumental winger and 100% great footballer.

Back
Top Bottom