Acceptable netspend this summer ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their business was lauded because they spent the most amount of money in the league. Do you honestly believe that this would have been the case if Keita cost £15 million, Fabino £20 million and Allison £10 million? You know it wouldn’t have been - spend determines expectations and the subsequent narratives. Liverpool won the window because of the volumes spent not because of who they brought in because most hadn’t heard of these players and therefore the perception of these were determined by their monetary value.If we spent £150 million this summer the same would be said about us - even if there was little knowledge about the players in question. I would argue that the sentiment that level spend had far more of positive impact that the actual players. They were immediately talked about as title challengers because as it was pointed time and time in the media when you have that level of spend you have to be given the season they previously had.
:avbfacepalm:

:avbfacepalm:

Nah you right it’s clearly all about Liverpool’s’ targets ‘being Keita, Fabino and Allison .

Everyone watches Leipzig, Monaco and Roma each week so knew exactly all about them. Knew that they would address all of their weakness. Had nothing to do with them costing over £150 million.

How can any club possibly compete with such as talent and speciality in ‘targets’.

Nah you right it’s clearly all about Liverpool’s’ targets ‘being Keita, Fabino and Allison .

Everyone watches Leipzig, Monaco and Roma each week so knew exactly all about them. Knew that they would address all of their weakness. Had nothing to do with them costing over £150 million.

How can any club possibly compete with such as talent and speciality in ‘targets’.
Play on your own mate.

It's all there, thousands of word written and spoken from before a ball was kicked and still to this day.

Off with you now.

Play on your own mate.

It's all there, thousands of word written and spoken from before a ball was kicked and still to this day.

Off with you now.

This may be an outrageous suggestion to you but there is a world outside of your little Twitter feed with your five carefully selected & screened journalists.

But of course it has nothing to do with them having the largest expenditure and everything to do with the qualities of their 'targets' who were known and obvious to everyone. Why wouldn't the best players for Leipzig, Monaco and Roma not known to everyone hey?

I can genuinely see this window closing with us having close to a £0 net spend, and a better looking squad at the end of it.

:levylol:

Don't think net spend should really matter beyond knowing the club is running in a responsible financial manor.
You just look at the squad list when the window shuts - and the players we have to state the obvious.

Last summer I was pretty happy with the way our squad looked. No transfers didn't concern me in the slightest as it was a group of players I liked the look of.
Loads of injuries and dips in form later - and it looks like regression.

A year ago, there wouldn't have been too many fans saying that Trippier, Eriksen, Dele, Kane were going to have below par seasons.

I don't think net spend in particular is the issue, it's if we are stronger or weaker by the end of the window, it's about spending the money required to back the manager without weakening the side. Such as the Ndombele purchase which is a perfect example of how business should be done.

In my honest opinion we need a few more signings and to keep what we already have to be in a stronger position, for example, a new RB, a backup striker to Kane and Lo Celso, whilst keeping Eriksen and Toby and having added Ndombele would put us in a very strong position imo, a league challenging position.

On the other hand, if we sell Eriksen and Toby and bring in Lo Celso and a RB and a backup striker, even having added Ndombele I think we will be a weaker side for it.

Unless of course we replace Eriksen and Toby with like for like quality who can immediately walk into the team whilst also adding Lo Celso a RB and a backup striker (but I can't see that happening personally as that would mean 5 more signings in and 5 players Poch would have to bed in, that's a lot to ask.)

So TLDR, I think we need to keep our best players that we currently have and add on top of them with quality to give them competition for places and sell the players that we don't use such as Lamela, VJ and people we can get half decent money for who are bloating the squad but add nothing off the bench for us, selling our best players and replacing them is just putting us in the same position we are currently in or worse if the signings don't work out.

I trust Levy will not do that however after the way we have done our business for Ndombele which imo, was a statement of intent.

Honestly looking at it, I think £100m + any money made on sales is far more than Pochettino can and should expect from the board.

If we play it right with players sold we could easily make that figure even beefier. £72m all in all done already so Poch could round that off to £100m bringing in both the Sessegnon brothers and then everything else is down to wheeling and dealing. I think that would be fair seeing as we need to cover the costs of the stadium delays, renting Wembley and the loan/ interest repayments which are probably around £60m per season.

The potential Eriksen money could be key for Poch to know he can pluck one out. £50m and Ceballos on loan and then give Betis that £50m with Toby staying on and that's a pretty good looking summer but as has been said, it all depends on how people settle and if they could all perform.

Back
Top Bottom