Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Adebyor

Felt he did ok yesterday, he was getting criticised unfairly in some corners. Massive massive upgrade on Crouch!

Thelonious Filth said:
Felt he did ok yesterday, he was getting criticised unfairly in some corners. Massive massive upgrade on Crouch!
Whilst my original stance hasn't altered (in so much that he doesn't score enough for the positions he gets into), I would agree that he is still a better player than we have had since berb left.

Good enough for £10mil plus £100K a week? Not sure. But he does at least hold the ball up, link up and provides more of an ariel threat.

Not gonna judge him or have my view changed by any one game, will see how christmas pans out.

Some fans are willing to state the ability of a player on one game, journo's don't exactly help in that matter. They seem to be as fickle as the fans themselves.

Still not sure how we won that game 3-1. But would be nice if Ade shared the load, builds more confidence when we have scoreres in every position on the pitch.

Not scoring enough but doing everything else >>>>>>>>>>> not scoring enough and being shit.

It's no coincidence that Bale and Lennon are getting on the scoresheet more, should we sign him permanently? I agree with your pragmatic stance on that one. Season is still young, I'm fairly happy with what I've seen so far.

I'm surprised he'd play again after the shooting event.

One thing that unsettles me is when we score he never seems overly happy. He's always the last player to go up to the scorer, i'd be straight over to Lennon to tickle his nads.

Have to say, still loving the guy. As a prototypical complete forward he's relied upon to do many more things than just score. His off the ball movement, participation and work rate have been phenomenal so far. He's doing most of those in spades at the moment, while also being relied upon as virtually the sole first-team forward. His work rate, dropping back to support the midfielders, working the lanes, and his positioning has been spectacular. I'm positive that his scoring will open back up in the future. Much of this could be dismissed as him simply rediscovering his touch and form after a depressing run with Citeh. He has to adapt to the English game again, and I'm positive that he'll do it.

I've long thought that what Spurs were really aching for was a devastating No. 9 that could divert attention from opposing defenders and open up the game for Spurs' plethora of talented attacking midfielders. Say what you will about Crouch's knock-downs, and his "decent touch for a big man," but the man was simply not the devastating presence in front of goal that demanded opposing defenders' attention and marking. The presence of that factor, a truly effective No. 9 that could work the channels, hold up the ball, and provide a physical presence inside the box was something that Peter Crouch didn't provide and Ade does in spades. Beforehand, opposing defenders could virtually ignore Crouch and focus on marking VdV and Bale out of the game, they can't do that anymore. As Thelonius said, I think, it's no coincidence that their scoring has opened back up again. Opposing sides can't afford to double-mark VdV or Bale with Ade up front, they have to focus on the immediate threat of Ade's pace, form, and technical ability, which opens up the game to an incredible extent for finishes by Vdv and Bale. Maybe the man can be a bit wasteful with the ball, I won't dispute that, but the attacking movement of the entire team looks fundamentally better with Ade in the equation. Will we keep him long term, I certainly hope so! Of course, his wages are an issue, but he's certainly made a stink in the news in the past week or two leading the average fan to conclude that Ade sees his near-term future at Spurs and that he may be willing to cut a hard bargain to seek first-team football again. I mean, yesterday he was comparing 'arry to Mourinho, for chrissakes! At this juncture all signs seem to point that he may be willing to settle for a significant wage reduction in order to secure first-team football again.

If that's the case, thanks be to those fuckers at Citeh. At first glance they've taken one of the most notoriously self-centered forwards in world football and broken him. As Spurs fans we can only hope that he's so anxious to prove himself again that he'd take a 50% wage cut.

I'd definitely take the man, but let's please not break the wage ceiling.

eggsoakley said:
I'm surprised he'd play again after the shooting event.

One thing that unsettles me is when we score he never seems overly happy. He's always the last player to go up to the scorer, i'd be straight over to Lennon to tickle his nads.

I've noticed this however he's also the main guy who's involved with dance routine celebrations. Twice I've seen him do something with Bale and Bassong now.

Personally I think he's been fantastic. Maybe not set the world alight but was exactly what we needed and whoever is responsible for getting the loan deal done much respect goes to them from my quarter.

if he gets injured for anymore than 1 game then I think we're fucked (between now and January). Fortunately we have a relatively easy fixture list until then.

Thelonious Filth said:
if he gets injured for anymore than 1 game then I think we're fucked (between now and January). Fortunately we have a relatively easy fixture list until then.

I agree with this tremendously, as soon as he mises a game I think it will become painfully obvious to people how important the work he does other than scoring.

Works huis tits off mate. He really drops a lot deeper than I ever thought he would.

The thing for me about him at the minute is he really seems to be enjoying his football. He looks genuinly happy about playing for Spurs.

I'm not sure about how I feel about the fact that I'm starting to really like the bloke

Yeah, we are fucked without Adebayor. I've seen debates about who is the more essential player, Ade or Parker. I can see, obviously, why people would say Parker since he has such a massive impact on just about every game. But, if Parker was injured we have Sandro. Take Ade out and what do we do? Rely on VDV launching rockets from 30 yards out, after squinting to see Defoe in the distance.

Of course, Pav could be about to come into the form of his life :ade:

We can't get too moany about needing a few chances, when we gave Pav so much love. The man who will blaze fifteen sitters into space before scoring.

Also, if Ade scores four against Villa and none for the next eight games, in the Defoe mould, you've got the problem of a striker who has a decent tally despite going missing for ages.

He grafts hard and creates opportunities like nobody else does for us.

For me its the way he holds up the ball and moves into the channels pulling off defenders (wheyheay) meaning the likes of VDV/Bale can get into more scoring positions.

There have been plenty of occasions where he has held the ball whilst being surrounded by 2 or 3 opponents and managed to find a teamate. Pav would NEVER do this and Defoe for all his trying just isnt big/strong enough.

I still by what I said, he is quality, he is far better than what we had before.

BUT, he does still miss some gilt edged chances. Know he scored 2, but could, and possibly should, have had 4 by half time alone on monday. Some were harder to miss it seemed.

I'd still be happy with an end of season review, as he is still on 'shop window' type performances. Which is fine as watching him track back 50 yards to defend is inspiring for a team as much as it is good for fans to see. And benefits us here and now.

But once that contract's signed, the chance of getting a more prolific / better value for money version might be limited.

Or to put it another way, if it were a choice between Ade or Cavani & Damiao, I know which I would prefer.

Dru said:
There have been plenty of occasions where he has held the ball whilst being surrounded by 2 or 3 opponents and managed to find a teamate. Pav would NEVER do this and Defoe for all his trying just isnt big/strong enough.

The thought of Pav doing that made me laugh! Might as well ask Lennon to fight Vitali Klitchsko.

Agree with some of the earlier posts. He probably won't keep going the whole season, he needs a rest. Personnally I think Pav would get the nod over JD if it wasn't for his attitude.

We can't rely on one striker all year, I mean what sort of side does that?

I'm also not sure about the Ade vs parker debate. Parker give confidence to both back line and midfield. He alone has given the licence for modric lennon and bale to all 'do their thang' when attacking, and protected a back line.

If his presence alone allows King to play 30+ prem games a season then Parker's influence is still far more reaching.

Ade is just far better than what we had become used to up front, hence the comparison is based more on the gulf in class between him and second choice.

In midfield we had some pretty decent players who 'aren't quite parker' but also aren't far off. Doesn't mean that Parker is less influential on the whole though.

S.L.R said:
Dru said:

The thought of Pav doing that made me laugh! Might as well ask Lennon to fight Vitali Klitchsko.
roshambo. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom