Adebayor's Goals after some beers.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching the game last night gears started turning thinking about Ade. It came near the end when on the break he had the option of Luka but smelled a hat trick, tossing up one near the far corner. I couldn't recall all season a goal he had scored from distance, but wasn't sure so I decided to look into it.....

Adebayor has scored 15 goals in the regular season, 2 of them penalties. The rest....

Wolves- one goal - inside the 6 yard box
Liverpool - two goals - one inside 6 yard box, the other right on the edge of 6 yard box
Villa - two goals, both in the 6 yrd box
West Brom - two goals - one in the 6 box, one outside
Chelsea - one goal in the 6 yard box
Newcastle - one goal - right at the top of the 6 box
Swansea - two goals - both in the 6 box
Bolton - two goals - both in the the 6 box (even after he jooked the ginger keeper, he still put it away in the box)

The optimist would say he gets himself in the right positions to put things away. The pessimist would say if he was any good, he'd be banging them in from 20 yards out....lethal at 3 feet does not take much skill. :vdv:

Ade has served us well close in. If we don't keep him we would do well to get a striker who can fill this role. Although I'd prefer someone with more threat from a greater range. If not that, then at least have some height.

Interesting stat......if Ade scores a goal in a regular season game, he has a 50% chance of grabbing a brace. :adegrin:

Anyway, that's all.....

A response after some beers (and Jack Daniels)....

I like Ade, I'll just get that out of the way. From what I'd heard about his time at City I was weary when we brought him here. The Woolwich connection I don't care about after his antics at Eastlands, but I was concerned he'd cause trouble in the backroom. If anything I think he's made some good friendships and brought a different perspective to the younger guys especially. This is a guy who's been through the ringer, literally, and come out the other side very happy simply to play football and try to help us win.

That aside, I think we might be tainted by the man who held his spot previously. I love Crouch for two goals in particular, and I'll always like seeing him score as long as its not against us, but seeing Ade do all the things Crouch couldn't do might blind some folks to his own failings. His first touch in particular is horrible and causes me no end of stress no matter how far ahead we are in a game. He can be counted on to put away anything within a reasonable distance, as the OP says, but he's tried I don't know how many curlers from around the edge of the area and missed them all (I think?). He's definitely limited. But he's definitely better than Crouch, Pav, and Defoe in terms of what he gives to the team.

Basically, if we're gonna give him a permanent contract I really hope its not for much money. We might pay City a hefty fee for the transfer, but I don't want to see us break our wage structure for Ade when Modric and Bale are more worthy of £100,000 a week IMO.

Lineker - johnny on the spot.

Doesn't matter if they are 25 yards or 5, as long as they go in.

You're a striker. You can do nothing for 80mins, but if you hit the winning goal game after game, then no one cares.

So many wanted Adebayor off at half time on Wednesday.

If you are a striker you need to make sure you are taking your chances, and by and large Adebayor does.

I'd rather his shots/goals ratio was better, but as it stands he as score a decent about of goals, and most of them pretty important.

Rumour is he will cost about £8M, which i feel is about right.. in fact it is pretty cheap I reckon.
Wages wise he has been spoilt by City. £100k is a fair amount, no £80K is a fair amount.

In our favour I think he seems happy at Spurs. Hasn't sulked. Plays with a smile on his face and looks like he is really popular with his team mates.

I have been on record saying I don't want him full-time (fucking podcast), however, it's become increasingly clear that we won't sign anyone better than him at a reasonable price so if £8m is true then we have to take him on full time.

coalhada said:
£8m would be pretty good fee wise.
Wages... ah. Well.
The trick is to give him a massive signing on fee, which covers a portion of his drop in wages. Basically a lump sum of what he would earn overall under the terms of his contract.

Levy will know how to swing it. Lets be honest VDV is probably worth more than 70k a week in this day and age. So I'm sure there is a sweetner in there somewhere.

:vdv:

Big Sky Spur said:
Watching the game last night gears started turning thinking about Ade. It came near the end when on the break he had the option of Luka but smelled a hat trick, tossing up one near the far corner. I couldn't recall all season a goal he had scored from distance, but wasn't sure so I decided to look into it.....

Adebayor has scored 15 goals in the regular season, 2 of them penalties. The rest....

Wolves- one goal - inside the 6 yard box
Liverpool - two goals - one inside 6 yard box, the other right on the edge of 6 yard box
Villa - two goals, both in the 6 yrd box
West Brom - two goals - one in the 6 box, one outside
Chelsea - one goal in the 6 yard box
Newcastle - one goal - right at the top of the 6 box
Swansea - two goals - both in the 6 box
Bolton - two goals - both in the the 6 box (even after he jooked the ginger keeper, he still put it away in the box)

The optimist would say he gets himself in the right positions to put things away. The pessimist would say if he was any good, he'd be banging them in from 20 yards out....lethal at 3 feet does not take much skill. :vdv:

Ade has served us well close in. If we don't keep him we would do well to get a striker who can fill this role. Although I'd prefer someone with more threat from a greater range. If not that, then at least have some height.

Interesting stat......if Ade scores a goal in a regular season game, he has a 50% chance of grabbing a brace. :adegrin:

Anyway, that's all.....

aTBCproduction1 has recently put up a video of greaves and to be fair he pretty much scored every goal from within the 6 yard box and he was one of the most prolific goal scorers spurs have ever ever had. if ade stays and never scores a screamer for us ever but continues to score every goal he ever scores for us from within the 6 yard box i couldnt care less, however i would like him to start scoring a few more if he does stay.

He's not worth anywhere near what's he getting paid now, but even if we do manage to persuade him to take a 50% wage cut, we still need to add another 'top' striker to the squad, perhaps another 2 if Defoe goes.

Sibs said:
Lineker - johnny on the spot.

Doesn't matter if they are 25 yards or 5, as long as they go in.

You're a striker. You can do nothing for 80mins, but if you hit the winning goal game after game, then no one cares.

So many wanted Adebayor off at half time on Wednesday.

If you are a striker you need to make sure you are taking your chances, and by and large Adebayor does.

I'd rather his shots/goals ratio was better, but as it stands he as score a decent about of goals, and most of them pretty important.

I agree, but nobody ever wants to use this defence for poor lil :defoe:

Yeah his first touch is dreadful, but he is putting a lot of goals in. I think his goals/shots ratio is higher than it should be though, because there's been lots of times where he's inside the area but his first touch gives it straight to a defender/keeper and the chance is gone (although not counting as a shot) - and that's not including the times he fails to connect with crosses.

That being said though, he has scored more than any striker we've had in recent years and you can rely on him putting it in the back of the net if it's a one-on-one or anywhere inside the area when he has it under control.

Back
Top Bottom