Afcon 2024 and AFC Asian Cup 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought we needed a thread - Spurs centred - as both competitions interrupt the PL season.

Sarr (Senegal) and Bissouma (Mali) are expected to be Spurs 2 players involved in Afcon, Son playing in the Asian Games. All 3 players will probably leave UK on 1st or 2nd January to train with National Sides..

Senegal Group Matches
15 Jan v Gambia,
19 Jan v Cameroon
23 Jan v Guinea

Mali Group Matches
16 Jan v South Africa,
20 Jan v Tunisia
24 Jan v Namibia

Round of 16 - 8 matches played between 27 Jan and 30 Jan (2 matches per day)

Quarter Finals - 4 matches played on 2nd and 3rd Feb

Semi Finals - Both matches played on 7 Feb

Finals & 3rd place Play off - Played on 10 Feb (3rd place) and 11 Feb (Final)

The Asian Games follow a similar schedule with South Korea (Son) facing Malaysia (25 Jan), Jordan (20 Jan) and Bahrain (15 Jan) in group stages. Knock out stages for top 2 in each group and 4 best 3rd placed teams are from 28 - 31 January.
Quarter finals on 2nd and 3rd of February
Semi Finals on 6th and 7th February
Finals on 10 February.

So I expect to lose all 3 players from 2 January until about 12 February - with maybe one or two players back in first week or so of February if Spurs are lucky !

Spurs games which may be missed (3 or 4 PL games and 2 FA Cup ties) :
Jan PL fixtures : ManU away (14 Jan), Brentford home (30 Jan) & FA Cup 3rd & 4th round
Feb PL fixtures : Everton away (3 Feb), Brighton home ( 10 Feb) & Wolves home (17 Feb)

Last edited:
As a way to estimate how far the countries will go in the competitions (and therefore when Spurs players are likely to be released), the early odds are :

Senegal - 2nd favourite to win at 6.5 : 1 (so likely to be in final played on 10 Feb)

Mali - 6th favourite to win at 11 : 1 (so likely to make quarter finals played on 2nd/3rd of Feb)

I cannot see any current odds for Asian Cup, but its likely South Korea will make semi finals or finals.

As a way to estimate how far the countries will go in the competitions (and therefore when Spurs players are likely to be released), the early odds are :

Senegal - 2nd favourite to win at 6.5 : 1 (so likely to be in final played on 10 Feb)

Mali - 6th favourite to win at 11 : 1 (so likely to make quarter finals played on 2nd/3rd of Feb)

I cannot see any current odds for Asian Cup, but its likely South Korea will make semi finals or finals.
Japan 5/2
Saudi 6/1
Sth Korea 6/1
Australia 13/2

Last edited:
Thanks for these

So South Korea gets to semi finals on those odds rather than final.

Probably doesn't make too much difference as I can't see Son getting back rested for 10 Feb v Brighton, more likely 17 Feb v Wolves whether he gets to semi finals or finals..
Worth noting, if they all win their respective groups, Saudi, Japan and Australia will all be on the same side of the knockout bracket so decent chance South Korea could make it to the final based on those odds

Worth noting, if they all win their respective groups, Saudi, Japan and Australia will all be on the same side of the knockout bracket so decent chance South Korea could make it to the final based on those odds

Given the match schedules, the real question is whether any of South Korea, Mali or Senegal get knocked out in Group stages/Round of 16 or go deeper in the competition.

If any of them do we might get players back for the Everton match on 3rd of Feb, but that looks unlikely based upon the odds - so it looks like its most likely all 3 of Son, Bissouma and Sarr get back for match on 17 Feb, with Bissouma a possibility for 10 Feb v Brighton.

And given the match schedule at the tournament, meaning they play every 3 days, they might be on bench for 17 Feb.

Just insane to allow an international tournament to be scheduled by FIFA in middle of PL schedule.

So they’re missing Burnley as well??

Bissouma is due to suspension.
Son is because he's being called up early

Not been confirmed with Sarr but they can be called up 2 weeks before the tournament starts. I don't think we'd risk Sarr for Burnley if he's eyes are set on the AFCON

Bissouma is due to suspension.
Son is because he's being called up early

Not been confirmed with Sarr but they can be called up 2 weeks before the tournament starts. I don't think we'd risk Sarr for Burnley if he's eyes are set on the AFCON

Are you sure on Son - I think South Korea can only (via fifa rules) call players up a maximum of 2 weeks before its first tournament game which is against Bahrain on 15 Jan, so by my calculation he will play against Bournemouth and go to airport either from that game or just as likely on 1 January.

But it could be open to interpretation as first game in Asian Cup (Qatar v Lebanon) kick off on evening of 12 January and Spurs match v Bournemouth is on 31 December.

If Son misses the Bournemouth game, Spurs should have a go at PL for scheduling the game v Brighton on Thursday, rather than Wednesday (when most other PL games were played) which would allow the Bournemouth game to be on 29 or 30 Jan (as most other PL games are) so allowing for a full 2 weeks before Asian Cup, But given Son travelled when injured to last international get together (probably delaying his recovery), South Korea should allow him to play the Bournemouth game to arrive 2 weeks before their first Asian Cup game.

I think Sarr will have to travel in first few days of January and miss the Burnley game, but if he can play v Burnley its obviously a bonus.

Are you sure on Son - I think South Korea can only (via fifa rules) call players up a maximum of 2 weeks before its first tournament game which is against Bahrain on 15 Jan, so by my calculation he will play against Bournemouth and go to airport either from that game or just as likely on 1 January.

But it could be open to interpretation as first game in Asian Cup (Qatar v Lebanon) kick off on evening of 12 January and Spurs match v Bournemouth is on 31 December.

If Son misses the Bournemouth game, Spurs should have a go at PL for scheduling the game v Brighton on Thursday, rather than Wednesday (when most other PL games were played) which would allow the Bournemouth game to be on 29 or 30 Jan (as most other PL games are) so allowing for a full 2 weeks before Asian Cup, But given Son travelled when injured to last international get together (probably delaying his recovery), South Korea should allow him to play the Bournemouth game to arrive 2 weeks before their first Asian Cup game.

I think Sarr will have to travel in first few days of January and miss the Burnley game, but if he can play v Burnley its obviously a bonus.

Son is available for Bournemouth, I thought?

However, Klinsmann confirmed he's being called up 2nd of January.

It’s still ridiculous that it’s played this time of year. Son will have played so much football by the end of the season that he’s bound to pick up an injury that keeps him out a few weeks before May.

It’s still ridiculous that it’s played this time of year. Son will have played so much football by the end of the season that he’s bound to pick up an injury that keeps him out a few weeks before May.
Hopefully tomorrow but only keeps him out say 3 weeks and get some rest and not miss any of our matches.

Back
Top Bottom