Alan Gilzean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry to hear this news. I saw him play for Spurs against us many times back in the 1960s and 1970s. He was a classy player and a great header of the ball. I remember one goal he scored at Old Trafford at the start of the 1967/68 season (after the Charity Shield 3-3 draw) that was a cracker. It's sad to see those boyhood heroes passing on but I suppose it comes to us all in the end. RIP.

My first hero. I’m afraid I cried tonight when I heard.

He drank in the same pub as my parents and I met him a few times as a kid. Top-level striker until he was 37 while drinking like a fish and smoking 40 Rothmans a day.

If you didn’t see him play just imagine the best bits of Sheringham and Berbatov rolled into one man. Irreplaceable, we will never see his like again.

Sad news indeed. My old man took me to see a friendly between Stevenage and Spurs in the early/mid 70s. The old fella was doing some decorating work for him at the time.
I remember it seeming a bit weird that I was supporting Spurs rather than my "Home Town club" at the time. That feeling soon disappeared mind. There was a fair few Spurs bigwigs at that game, my dad told me, turning out to support Gilzean in his first proper management role.

A unique player. Gordon banks said that he was his most difficult opponent, Greaves said he was the greatest he ever played with.
He played with a swagger and style, that epitomised the archetypal Tottenham player. His most famous quote was, "Once a Tottenham man, always a Tottenham man' he hated Woolwich, and the fans absolutely adored him.
Get well Gilly, there are no more like you.

Alan Gilzean - the original King of White Hart Lane.

In terms of technical ability, sheer skill and 'presence' ...the modern-era Spurs player who most reminded me of Gilzean was Berbatov...

Just a shame HE only hung around for a few seasons and went running as soon as Man Utd came calling... the biggest difference is that Berbatov DIDN'T COMMIT his best years to US!

Dave Mackay, John White and Allan Gilzean:
Our best Scottish players at the club?

I also liked Alfie Conn and was at the Lane in April 1975 against the Chavs when we were struggling but he scored a sublime goal in our win
Not sure but I think it sent them down

A one-off, no doubt. So deserving of the "King of White Hart Lane" mantle. Gillie and Greavsie were a lethal partnership. I hope he gets the right treatment so that we see him back at the Lane. Considering we didn't see him for decades, it's been great to have him back.

The ‘G’ men as they were known

Loved the guy

Get well soon - old man says best header of a ball he's ever seen. Said he was quite similar both in style of play and looks to Berbatov.

When I met Jimmy Greaves at a Q and A I asked him 'who did you like to play with the most?' He answered Gilzean because he could direct the knock on anywhere, which made life easy for him. Underrated passer of the ball as well.

A legend passes. A sad day.

Condolences to the Gilzean family.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Just when you think things are good you're brought back down to earth by this very sad news. I was fortunate enough to see him play as an 11 year old kid and I still remember how good he was - how much would he be worth now?
A true Spurs legend and a very, very sad day - RIP Gilly and thank you for gracing WHL with your talent.

RIP.

As reported in Dundee where Alan remains much loved.

Hopefully of interest to those who feel the same down your way.

Edit.....wont let me post links, if someone gives me a "like", I can do.

Back
Top Bottom