Alasdair Gold - ENIC Chief Press Officer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The transfer news bits are about 35 mins in.

Just when you think things are going well, Alli Gold posts another depressing update. Spurs don't have any money. Nobody wants to buy our players. Its so hard, everything is difficult. On and on.

The guy is nothing but an ENIC apologist. Fact of the matter is money is there, its just Levy has no intention of backing the manager as usual.

Lloris is out of contract this summer still, Kane is waiting to see if Conte will be backed. We all know the answer to that. We still havnt shifted all the shite that needs shifting.

Gold is nothing but a doom merchant that has been sucked in to believing Levy's lies. He says nobody wants to pay big money for Alli so he is difficult to sell. Alli isnt difficult to sell at all, Levy just refuses to accept what his real value is.

He says other clubs wont offer the high fees we want because of corona. Well guess what, we can buy players on the cheap because of corona too. Its just excuse after excuse from Levy and this prick. Players can be bought, players can be sold. There is just no ambition from this club to move heaven and earth to build a team capable of competing.

I fully expect Conte to walk in the summer when he gets a load of kids and bargain basement buys to work with.

Alasdair needs to grow some balls and start asking questions the fans want to know. Does the club have ambition? When are they going to show it? Why is there no money for players and salaries when the ground is full and the tickets are expensive? Why are we always signing bargains. When was the last time we signed a top player? Why is the deadwood still here? If there is no money this window, when will there be money? Can we compete with this new stadium? How much can we reasonably expect to be spent in a normal summer? What is the clubs vision? Does the club want to win trophies? What evidence is there of this?

These are the questions a fan would be hammering home. Alasdair has become too comfortable in his position and doesn't want to upset the applecart. Maybe they should hire a journalist that isn't a fan and will ask serious questions of the club.

Last edited:
If him and Paratici aren’t backed this window, I don’t think either will last the season. They won’t want to be tarnished with mediocrity which is not their fault

My problem is he accepts our predicament whereas fans do not. We would ask the right questions, not accept things as they are.
Are you sure he accepts it, or do you infer it from him not asking the questions? This pretty much goes for all journos but even more so for guys like Alli who only work with one club, but being a tosspot journo who only asks “the difficult questions” probably doesn’t get to hang around for very long. So I do understand why he wouldn’t go hard and sling shit at Levy and Lewis.

Our players have repeatedly shown they aren't good enough for us, it's no surprise that in a covid affected market they aren't top of other clubs lists. The ineptitude in our transfer policy has really hurt us.

On the other hand, Conte wouldn't have come to us without some sort of guarantee. We might not see massive movement - it is the January window after all - but we might see one or two. That might be all we need to get 4th.

Our players have repeatedly shown they aren't good enough for us, it's no surprise that in a covid affected market they aren't top of other clubs lists. The ineptitude in our transfer policy has really hurt us.

On the other hand, Conte wouldn't have come to us without some sort of guarantee. We might not see massive movement - it is the January window after all - but we might see one or two. That might be all we need to get 4th.
Exactly (1 or 2 is all we need). If we don’t see that, we should riot

I don’t think anyone else is expecting us to get in 3 or 4 stars

I'm not so sure of this massive guarantee. He was on the dole. Levy offered him 15-20m a year. Utd didnt want him. Liverpool, Man City have managers. Hes already been at Chelsea.

Hes been at Juve and Milan so that rules out Italy. Bayern have Nagglesman. Madrid are rebuilding and Barca usually go for in house trainers.

I dont think Conte had a strong hand. I'm even less convinced Levy is going to back him.

Spurs is a comfortable gig. They pay you a fortune and the dont expect success.

I'm not so sure of this massive guarantee. He was on the dole. Levy offered him 15-20m a year. Utd didnt want him. Liverpool, Man City have managers. Hes already been at Chelsea.

Hes been at Juve and Milan so that rules out Italy. Bayern have Nagglesman. Madrid are rebuilding and Barca usually go for in house trainers.

I dont think Conte had a strong hand. I'm even less convinced Levy is going to back him.
United we're going to be needing a manager imminently. We went first. He doesn't strike me as a manager that takes a job to just earn money - those guys earn millions. How many more millions do you need?

It failing costs Levy more money, regardless of an 18 month deal. I think he came here because he believes he can do something, maybe has a point to prove.

We will see on all this.

It will make us look damn stupid if we get a high grade manager in and fail to give him any of his own ammunition. Criminal even and turn us once again into a laughing stock.

For sure we are unlikely to be flush but it seems inconceivable that Conte won't be backed.

And if that is the case there is little or no chance of us getting a high calibre manager in the future.

January may not bring too much and understandably, given the renewed Covid threat and uncertainty (although a striker and a midfielder would be good) but inertia in summer would be tantamount to football suicide.

United we're going to be needing a manager imminently. We went first. He doesn't strike me as a manager that takes a job to just earn money - those guys earn millions. How many more millions do you need?

It failing costs Levy more money, regardless of an 18 month deal. I think he came here because he believes he can do something, maybe has a point to prove.
Anyway, lets not get side tracked. This thread is about Ally Gold sucking levy off. And levy being a tight cant.

Aren't good enough for what exactly?

Aren't good enough for what exactly?
Pushing us on. I don't mean all the players obviously, the ones we would want to move on.

I know your username suggests they aren't a bad squad, but some of them are.

Who is really going to want Alli? Ndombele? Doherty? And more importantly for the kind of money Levy would want?

Loans aren't going to help in a sell to buy market.

The transfer news bits are about 35 mins in.

Just when you think things are going well, Alli Gold posts another depressing update. Spurs don't have any money. Nobody wants to buy our players. Its so hard, everything is difficult. On and on.

The guy is nothing but an ENIC apologist. Fact of the matter is money is there, its just Levy has no intention of backing the manager as usual.

Lloris is out of contract this summer still, Kane is waiting to see if Conte will be backed. We all know the answer to that. We still havnt shifted all the shite that needs shifting.

Gold is nothing but a doom merchant that has been sucked in to believing Levy's lies. He says nobody wants to pay big money for Alli so he is difficult to sell. Alli isnt difficult to sell at all, Levy just refuses to accept what his real value is.

He says other clubs wont offer the high fees we want because of corona. Well guess what, we can buy players on the cheap because of corona too. Its just excuse after excuse from Levy and this prick. Players can be bought, players can be sold. There is just no ambition from this club to move heaven and earth to build a team capable of competing.

I fully expect Conte to walk in the summer when he gets a load of kids and bargain basement buys to work with.

Alasdair needs to grow some balls and start asking questions the fans want to know. Does the club have ambition? When are they going to show it? Why is there no money for players and salaries when the ground is full and the tickets are expensive? Why are we always signing bargains. When was the last time we signed a top player? Why is the deadwood still here? If there is no money this window, when will there be money? Can we compete with this new stadium? How much can we reasonably expect to be spent in a normal summer? What is the clubs vision? Does the club want to win trophies? What evidence is there of this?

These are the questions a fan would be hammering home. Alasdair has become too comfortable in his position and doesn't want to upset the applecart. Maybe they should hire a journalist that isn't a fan and will ask serious questions of the club.

Calm your tits now.

The way I see is that he reports the club situation as it is. And with the reasoning that the club uses.

You can blame Levy for demanding unreasonable fees for players out of demand (like Alli), you can blame Levy for trying to be super-cleaver and getting best deal from every transfer.

But Gold is just mirror, not the person in it, ffs.

It is not journo's work to change the scouting or finances or decision making of the club. It is his job to forward the info outside. That's it.
Totally barking under the wrong tree.

Pushing us on. I don't mean all the players obviously, the ones we would want to move on.

I know your username suggests they aren't a bad squad, but some of them are.

Who is really going to want Alli? Ndombele? Doherty? And more importantly for the kind of money Levy would want?

Loans aren't going to help in a sell to buy market.

Okay cheers. Understand all that.

Forget the username. It's portable and was for a moment in time and not for evermore.

All squads other than those that win or arguably come a close second can be accused of not being good enough.

It's how you get the right players and the right manager and how it all works. Pochettino was a prime example with us for 3 or 4 years, and even then we fell short. It's complex.

I agree that some players won't push us on but the difficulty of acquiring the right players at the right time unless you are blessed with City or Chelsea's money is a steep challenge. Then the manager and all those other elements.

It's why Leicester's achievement in the year we should have won the PL was both freakish and wonderful. It all came together despite and not because all the players were supposedly the type who could push a club on.

Calm your tits now.

The way I see is that he reports the club situation as it is. And with the reasoning that the club uses.

You can blame Levy for demanding unreasonable fees for players out of demand (like Alli), you can blame Levy for trying to be super-cleaver and getting best deal from every transfer.

But Gold is just mirror, not the person in it, ffs.

It is not journo's work to change the scouting or finances or decision making of the club. It is his job to forward the info outside. That's it.
Totally barking under the wrong tree.
I disagree. He just relays the ENIC message over and over. Its so hard. Players are hard to sign. On and on.

He never asks a challenging question. Nobody is held to account for or transfers.

Check out the questioning Boris gets to see the difference. Gold is way too pally, and you're right, he wont say anything tough because he is happy to be there.

Back
Top Bottom