Ambition?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know Lineker was good for us when he played but I can’t stand the patronising overpaid jug eared cunt now

Ruined MOTD imv

I think that Lineker sees world one-dimensionally. And also bit skewed. We are not "occasinally" punching above our weight. We have been doing it on very constant basis. And now "our weight" is growing as a result of that.

We have been 6th richest club in country... yet we have finished among top 4 in four years in a row, with 2nd and two third places to show for it. Also... we got into CL final. In the long run - do you like it or not, financial power is very strongly linked with success.

No, we have not splashed the cash agressively. But we have been gaining on most of our competitors. I understand that pundits want blood, they want exitement, they want revolution. But the long term gains come from evolution... which happens step by step.

Describing evolution does not rake in as much clicks of course though.

No

I’m very happy with our Club

From the ground to the training facilities to the team to the manager to the owners

Always room for improvement but compared to some of the shite I and others of a similar age have had to put up with since the early 60s this is brilliant

whereambition2.gif

Frankly, I'm tired of the logic that says [player] will leave [club] because he wants to "win something."

Football (once a sport) has become completely infected by the logic of the marketplace, to the point where it is now a commodity more than it is a sport. This is why the interest generated by transfer news has eclipsed many people's love for the game itself (including on this forum): it is precisely because these "players" have been degraded and reduced into mere commodities for exchange—their sport degraded and reduced into a mere opportunity for generating revenue.

In the end-game of capitalism, there is only one game in town—it's not football and it's certainly not a game that [player] could leave [club] to win. In the end-game of capitalism, the real players are the multinational corporations that own our beloved clubs of old and that own Gary Lineker, commodity pundit that he is. Kane might leave the club for PSG someday. Who knows! But will it be because he wants to "win something," or will it be because that's the lie we have all, Kane included, been sold?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the Villa game on Saturday.

We will know in 24 hours. Lineker says he has been saying it for 4 years. I think a lot of us have been saying it a lot longer.

The stadium and training ground plus the wage cap rise are all good but it's on the pitch where it counts. The links to world-class players is great and all, however, that's all they are.

I really think the next 24 hours could make or break us for the coming season.

Unfortunately football now has changed in terms of success whether it be on the field or the stock exchange owners the latter,fans the former but one can not work without the other and we, Tottenham Hotspur has finally latched on! But are we doing enough on the football field? For me yes I'm of the age that Jason Dozzel and Andy Sinton were the star turn ffs........so I'm easy pleased and when I read a match thread and folk start slagging of Eriksen,Rose or Son they haven't a clue it could have been a dam sight worse, get a grip!!!, personally I think we are showing ambition to enable us to compete business wise, we have to stadium,sponsorship,wages but I think playing wise we could do more Dybala would have put down a marker but in saying that only if it keeps things on an even keel and things run smooth there's no point from a fans point of view having turmoil on the pitch it affects what happens of the field.

I quite like him.

But to the question :

Attempting to spend 3x £50m + transfer deals in one window is a big change for spurs, even if 2 do not come off.

I think at best (without a sugar daddy) we are Atletico Madrid levels, getting there the same way they have. They are now a big club in their own right but still a struggle to maintain a challenge with the richer clubs. Similar trajectory if you look at their league positions since 2000 (with them being 3-5 years ahead of us). I am happy with that, I think it means more when you earn it.

Back
Top Bottom