Anatomy of the season after 27 games

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've been thinking about our season so far and where it went wrong. Wrote some stuff on it and managed to make it rather long in the end.

To put it simply, we most probably blew our chances of top four yesterday, one needs to have some rich imagination to think otherwise. It's not only the distance to our rivals, but also our manner of play that basically does not allow us to dream for more than a fifth spot this year. Where did it go wrong though? Looking back at the beginning of the season, it should have never turned out the way it did, yet here we are, facing another transitional season. Our summer transfers looked good enough for a successful campaign - and some of us were even dreaming beyond a top four spot - while Andre was in his second season in charge, a season when his ideas were supposed to take better shape.

I kept hoping for Champions League football throughout the season, although to be honest, we never looked good enough to pull it through. We scraped our way through the first games with maximum points, but the feeling was that we could (and had to) play better than that in order for the season to be a successful one. Then came the game against Woolwich, a team that had a shaky start of the season, and even though they weren't particularly brilliant, we went home empty handed. Our players looked completely devoid of any motivation the day when we faced our bitter rivals, even though we were a goal down we lacked urgency in the final third and we also lacked creativity. Unfortunately, this was going to set the trend for the remainder of the season. Whenever our opponents managed to score first, we struggled to find the goal that would get us back in the game. We also managed to record losses before every international break, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but got me hoping that we would return stronger and manage to learn from our mistakes.

Some mixed results, including two severe losses against City and Liverpool led to the sacking of Andre and the naming of Tim Sherwood as head coach. Was that the right decision to make? The matter is still debated on this forum, but it was obvious that our game was not working and some changes needed to be made. In his first games in charge, Sherwood managed to bring some life to the team, among the most notable changes being the reactivation of Adebayor and the inclusion of youth team starlet Nabil Bentaleb in the first team. Our game was showing signs of improvement and we seemed to be back in contention for a much coveted top four spot. It wasn't another severe loss to City that hit the final nail in the coffin for us, but the disappointing results against the likes of Hull and Norwich, teams that we simply had to beat were we to hope for more than a place in the Europa.

So here we find ourselves yet again, a new end or maybe a new beginning, it does't really matter that much at this point, does it? Who exactly is to blame though? It is easy to blame Sherwood for his stubbornness to start Bentaleb every single game or Andre's focus on the high line when our attack was screaming for creative ideas. Yes, our coaches have their share of the blame, Andre failed to learn from his past mistakes and Sherwood is probably not ready yet to coach at this level, but this is only a part of the problem.

Another culprit is our chairman, Daniel Levy, who just like every season, decided to buy late into the transfer window in order to haggle the transfer fees to the max. He also sold our star player, Gareth Bale - the one who won us games by himself last season and whose brilliance managed to hide some of the weaknesses in our game. What we had at the end of the transfer window was a team with great potential, but no established talent, with the exception of Roberto Soldado, a player with no prior Premier League experience. It takes time to make such a team click, and to put it fairly this was supposed to be a make or break season, we did not afford to miss out on the top four yet again. Instead of thinking from this perspective, our transfer window was focused on signing every single young prospect that the Bale transfer money could buy instead of trying to build a team around the core that already existed. This ended up costing us in the long run when the lack of consistency of some of our players began to show.

Then there's the players. On numerous occasions, they managed to let me down with some gutless displays and lack of sheer belief that we could get something out of a game. When you are one goal down and the chances of European football start to fade, you need to show some character and find that much needed extra gear. Our players seldom showed that ambition. We also lacked a leader on the pitch. For all his devotion to the team, Michael Dawson failed to motivate his colleagues and some of his displays, riddled with mistakes in defence, made a case for him being benched. Other players like Jan Vertonghen seemed at times content with the idea that the season is compromised and just seemed to be waiting to jump the boat come summer. To paraphrase JFK, they should not ask what their team can do for them, they should rather ask what they can do for their team.

One of my conclusions so far is that we do have a handful of talented players, but we do not have a team, and we will not be able to progress any further unless we have one. If Louis van Gaal (if we are to believe the current rumours) is going to be the one who manages to make us click, that is a different story. There is still a long time until summer and things can change very fast in the world of football. The season is not over yet and we may still get something out of it, but the possibilities are really remote. Regardless of what happens, i will still be offering my team my unconditional love.

One thing is certain though, if we want next season to be more successful, we cannot afford to repeat the same mistakes we made in the last years, fifth place may not be that easy to get next season.

This has been a horrible season. We are still in a decent position but some of the results have been disasterous.
Losing twice to Woolwich, losing twice to Spam, losing 11-1 on aggregate to Man City, losing 5-0 to Liverpool at home and the Newcastle and Norwich scores have added to the misery.
I remember being at Sheff Utd on a cold March evening and watching us get smashed 6-0.
It was an all time low for me and I thought those results and performances were never to be seen again.
But here we are with a team costing well over 100m and still seeing inexcusable results.
Some of these results took me back to those dark days and it's not pleasant.

A very good summary of the season so far.

I have to say my biggest disappointment this season, was the defeat to Woolwich in the FA Cup last month. We really had nothing to lose in that match, and I was so shocked by the lack of grit and determination to beat our arch enemy. If I'm honest, we didn't even look like threatening in attack and went out of the competition without really having a go at them at all.

However, onwards & upwards for Thursday night and rest of the season. COYS

Last edited:
1) AVB arrives at lane with tarnished reputation, great first season with a lot of help from Bale,
2) PSG and maybe others come knocking for AVB, he says no, was maybe promised Bale staying or a shedload of money for players
3) Bale goes and we buy a load of new players to make up for it and keep fans quiet. AVB probabaly didnt want many of them, he never mentioned any of them before arriving.
4) He really doesnt look same happy guy that was given a chance year before, he has a system (Porto's) that he doesnt have players for, and he is having problems getting his system through with many square pegs in round holes and no ace in the hole
5) We get tactically found out at west ham and liverpool and really struggle to score goals with the personnel and setup. Andre doesnt seem same guy, even rift with Freund, he probably regrets decision in summer
6) AVB sacked in the worst time of year to get a quality manager as by definition in football terms who is available in Oct/Nov in a world cup year if they are "successful"? Nobody
7) Sherwood in - a pure gamble, started with a nice run of games, let by Adebayor resurgence in a few of them and some good injury returns (notably having a left back). In fact all the other midfielders have been on a merry go round, the fact we have a striker and a left back better than naughton the only difference in real terms, as goals have gone in.
8) We lose against Norwich and it all hits home again how flimsy we are as we had to hire the only guy who was available and would do whatever levy says. He is doing his best and it is just so sad that if we had ANYONE with experience of football management, even someone with 5 years success we would get somewhere, if sherwood can get this many points, ANYONE with experience can get the norwich wins, and hold better against big sides, turn the 5th into 4th.

11th richest club in world - do we have 11th best manager - do we fuck, reboot next season from manager downwards, it doesnt matter who stays or goes the VALUE of our squad post sales and purchasing will be higher than ever and we cant fuck it up, the manager has to get the players they want

Top 4 is out of reach most likely. Would need not only a serious slip up from Liverpool but we'd need to be virtually unbeaten. I think EL is super unlikely considering calibre of teams left in (Juve, Fiorentina, Napoli), think we just need to get people locked into contracts and concentrate on playing for pride.

Of course we should go for it, but we don't deserve it after giving up to Norwich. We didn't kick off until 75 mins. Lots of blame at Sherwood's door IMO.

I'll just leave my thoughts on our Summer Transfer Window here

Can't lie that I'm really disappointed with this season. I got we caught up in the transfer window hype. We thought that we had finally signed a world class striker in Soldado, but we all know how that has gone

We picked up not on,e but TWO of the best young players in the world in Lamela and Eriksen ( although they are a few notches below the likes of Gotze,Thiago,etc.). Eriksen was supposed to bring creativity into the side that we haven't seen since the days of VDV and Modric. I wouldn't say Eriksen has disappointed me but he has been decent - good but not great. Then we have Lamela who was tagged as "The Bale replacement" by some.I still can't believe we managed to get this kid and that we even broke our transfer record for him. We all now how Lamela has turned out for us though and I don't think i need to go into it. I'm still hoping that he comes back later in the season and starts playing like how we've seen him perform at Roma.These guys are young though so hopefully they improve massively next season.

Capoue started off the season good for us until he got injured. From then on he hasn't been playing much.

I never really saw the need for the signings of Paulinho and Chadli.I never saw the need for another Box to Box midfielder and I felt the left side was sufficient enough with Townsend and Siggy ( although we never knew Townsend would have a breakthrough season).

Vlad has really impressed me. Unknown player from the Romainian league turns into one of our better defenders.He's a bit dogy at times but he'll improve with experience.

I honestly thought this was going to be the season we were going to finish 4th again and get back into the Champions league. Looking back now, it seems a bit ambitious.

Praise and admiration for the supporters above sharing their hearts so honestly. THFC - I was trying to understand who and where we are. Top 5 side NO? We are the best side in the PL up to 5th spot. We are not amongst the established top 4 which rotates around 5 clubs. They seem to close ranks when we show signs of getting amongst them. We are not a top 5 club. Who are we. I'm sorry to say but I feel sometimes we take ourselves so seriously. We are the apprenice anongst the Big boys. I feel the PL is not the high standard we believe it is which makes all this even harder to accept. We need a 1st class establish manager. First class establish players and an establish style of play. It's all a bit second class at the moment. .

I've been most disappointed by the lack of desire shown by many of our players. Dembélé (scapegoat #1)has been shocking this season. He looks unfit, off the pace. And worst of all he looks like he doesn't care. Vertonghen has gone missing in so many games. Finding it hard to defend him. Definitely not the leader I thought he was. Capoue looks a bit too casual. Bentaleb has potential, but I don't think he will ever have the quality to make it as the top, top level. And Aaron Lennon. Don't get me started on Lennon. Throw into the mix Nacer Chadli who looks like he would prefer a modelling career to a spurs one, as well as the fact that our new talisman is the same player who disgraced the shirt and our fans last season by clearly not giving a damn, and I'm disillusioned. I've never found it so hard to identify with a spurs squad. Rant over.

Back
Top Bottom