Andre Villas-Boas - One Year In

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The response by many to AVB is indicative of how football is these days. You win them over in a heartbeat or you don't - only a seldom few will be prepared to change their minds.

The reality is different, and a manager, whoever they are, requires time - AVB will get that, regardless of opinions from the terraces.

We won at Old Trafford, first time in my lifetime, for that my assessment of him is positive. Perhaps naively I feel that as usual for Spurs things conspired against us, whether they be referee decisions or the fact that Woolwich got to play easier games then us (Man United when United had won the league and they scored an offside goal).

Hopefully next season silverware can be a show of success. The football is there, the tactics, the motivation.

The football is there, the tactics, the motivation.

Really? Bale I thought basically carried us over the line and some of our performances we're awful.

I expect with looming change of formation/new players will be used as an excuse next season should we not kick on.

AVB introduced a more structured careful style of playing, it looked like we were slow initially but it sped up as season progressed, if he can move this to a couple of more levels we are in the frame I reckon.

Really? Bale I thought basically carried us over the line and some of our performances we're awful.

I expect with the looming change of formation/new players will be used as an excuse next season should we not kick on.
Gallas is gone now, Walker has gotten better. I'm not saying it was all good, but towards the end it was improving, we need a striker who can score thats it IMO and some more depth.

In bullet points, then:

- He's done well enough to earn a full season with his own choice of players to bring in (via Baldini)
- There is no obvious replacement should we sack AVB at this time
- This season will be crucial for AVB, at Spurs and for his career in general.

I agree that AVB will have it all to do this year under his own team and tactics, irrelevant of points or wins last year, this will be the year to judge, but saying that what is everyone's realistic expectations for next year. Out of the below what would be a success

- top 4 finish
- league champions
- 3rd, 2nd place
- uefa cup
- league cup
- fa cup
- status quo as this season

I thought we were pretty much awful on the whole from the minute the final whistle went against Milan at home.

Alex Ferguson guided United to their worst league finish for 12 years in his first season... He did it AGAIN two season later.

...Lucky for them he won an FA Cup at the same time hey. Nobody has any fucking patience nowadays.

I agree that AVB will have it all to do this year under his own team and tactics, irrelevant of points or wins last year, this will be the year to judge, but saying that what is everyone's realistic expectations for next year. Out of the below what would be a success

- league champions audere est facere and all that
- uefa cup success, even sweeter if we get 4th or above
- fa cup as above
- 3rd, 2nd place would probably be enough on its own - would depend on Bale and players coming to us that summer
- league cup would NEED a top 4 with this to keep AVB - if we got this and 6th, it wouldn't convince
- top 4 finish honestly speaking, it'd be enough on its own but I feel like we can do more than that
- status quo as this season the door's that way

Reordered the above from most to least acceptable with thoughts next to it.

I'd love to win a cup. What I don't want is for that cup to be the League Cup with no progress in the league to show for it. I feel that AVB is the right man for the job but that needs to be shown with progress. Just because he's good looking doesn't mean his job doesn't depend on moving onwards and upwards.

Not getting rid of Redknapp two seasons ago cost us Ancelotti - we were always going nowhere with twitchy.

So happy we now have long term plans and aspirations.

Yup Im gutted about it to be honest....It would have been great to have him finish his career with us.

I certainly dont think we would have squandered that lead with Ancelotti at the helm.

Yup Im gutted about it to be honest....It would have been great to have him finish his career with us.

I certainly dont think we would have squandered that lead with Ancelotti at the helm.
We would have squandered it because Levy wouldn't have backed him when he really needed to, much like with AVB.

They say that patience is a virtue, so a lot of people are unvirtuous then, including some football supporters

Today.

Wonder coach extrordinaire.....or the man who has taken Spurs a step backward.

Both can be argued I guess....you all know my views on it.

Glad Baldini is around on the player front though. Hopefully it will lead to no more Dempseys / Siggys and more signings like Hugo and Jan.

Happy first Spurs Day Trendy.

Please....please prove me wrong.

fEZcC.gif

We won at Old Trafford, first time in my lifetime, for that my assessment of him is positive. Perhaps naively I feel that as usual for Spurs things conspired against us, whether they be referee decisions or the fact that Woolwich got to play easier games then us (Man United when United had won the league and they scored an offside goal).

Hopefully next season silverware can be a show of success. The football is there, the tactics, the motivation.

3 words we've been saying for the last 20 odd years :harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom