Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
bomberH- It was quite amusing on reflection. When we won the penalty, everyone was cheering like we'd gone 3-1 up, then Townsend grabbed the ball and placed it on the spot and everyone looked at eachother like we'd just conceded and it was 2-2.

Showed massive balls to take that because he's well aware sections of the crowd aren't overly happy with him and if he'd missed, that would've affected him (and the team, obviously) big time. Very happy for him that he scored. Whether you rate him as a player or not, he's a genuine yiddo and he must've absolutely loved that moment.

On a related note, I love Kane but I do feel a tiny bit sorry for Townsend when I hear 'he's one of our own' because Townsend, Mason & Bentaleb are also one of our own. I know Townsend tweeted the chant yesterday but I can't help think it makes him a little sad that the fans don't include him in a song like that. He's a confidence player and a good song for him would boost him massively. He gets a lot of (sometimes deserved) criticism but personally I'm very happy to have him in the squad and I really hope he makes it with us because as we've seen with Kane, there's nothing better than seeing one of your own make it at the club he supports.

I would dearly love to know the backstory to that pen- who decided what, when, and why...were we messing with the goalie's head by not having Eriksen take it? If so- that was genius. Ballsy too-- imagine if Andros had had it smothered- or skied it over the crossbar...
Townsend has taken our last 3 or 4 penalties, as another poster has mentioned.

I was impressed with him against chelsea. I don't want to see him go at all. I still think he operates on his natural side, running at defenders and crossing rather than cutting in.m

Andros Townsend has revealed the pride at Tottenham’s performance in the 5-3 win over Chelsea this week.

Goals from Harry Kane, Nacer Chadli and Danny Rose, as well as Townsend, ensured Spurs took the three points.

And while admitting they were disappointed to gift the Blues a couple of soft goals, Townsend revealed the team spirit shone through – while confirming he was relieved to see his penalty hit the back of the net.

“There were a few nerves,” he admitted. “I knew that the goalkeeper would know which side I was going to go so it was all about making sure I put enough power on it to make sure it went past him and thankfully that was the case.

“The shot had too much power for him and went in. I just wanted to make sure I got enough power on my strike so that even if he read it the power would take it in.

“When we came in at half-time the main thing was just to focus – the first 10 to 15 minutes after the break we needed to stay compact and to go on and score a fourth was beyond our wildest dreams.

“We’re not happy with conceding three goals but at the end of the day this is a Chelsea team that was tipped to be the invincibles and we’ve got three points against them.”

Andros Townsend has insisted he isn't thinking about leaving Tottenham Hotspur.
The Leytonstone-born winger has found game time hard to come by this season, starting just 12 games in all competitions under Mauricio Pochettino but Townsend has insisted he is only focusing on working hard to regain a place in the startling eleven rather than looking for alternative clubs.

It appears Townsend may have been rewarded for his determination to stay and fight for his place in recent weeks, following starts against Manchester United and Chelsea, in which he scored his first goal of the season against Spurs’ London rivals, a feat the wide midfielder want’s to build on.

“Everyone wants to play 90 minutes every game but you have to accept that’s not going to happen. I have played in every cup game and that has helped me build up my confidence. Hopefully I can get a run in the Premier League side and stay there.” he told the Daily Mail.

“I've been here since the age of eight. If I can stay at Spurs and get a run in the Premier League team then of course I don’t want to look anywhere else. I have played the last two Premier League games so that’s where my focus is and doing well for Spurs.”

The 23 year-old had been linked with moves to Southampton in the summer, with rumours claiming they were to make a renewed attempt to land their target this month but it’s clear Townsend wants to remain at White Hart Lane and fight for a starting berth

Delighted for Andros, he's becoming an important part of our squad again. We're going to benefit greatly from him if he can hit his best form for the rest of the season.
He needs to start actually creating though. He reminds me in a way of Bentley in as much as he seems so desperate to impress it actually makes him make bad decisions. Needs to think more about assists and stop trying to score worldies at every opportunity. Chill out a bit and start seeing the opportunities in the final third.

I know I'm crazy. I know people laugh at people saying Townsend is World Class, and frankly it's false. He isn't World Class, yet. I honestly Believe he will be world class in 2-3 years. I think he needs to beef up and improve shooting and crossing. Give him a few years to improve and I think we have a serious, serious player.

To put it out now before people call me out - this is not a reaction to his decent few games. I have thought this since he came back from his QPR loan, because that is when i first saw enough of him.

I know I'm crazy. I know people laugh at people saying Townsend is World Class, and frankly it's false. He isn't World Class, yet. I honestly Believe he will be world class in 2-3 years. I think he needs to beef up and improve shooting and crossing. Give him a few years to improve and I think we have a serious, serious player.

To put it out now before people call me out - this is not a reaction to his decent few games. I have thought this since he came back from his QPR loan, because that is when i first saw enough of him.
People are going to call you crazy. I'm in between I believe he has it in him to become a starter as opposed to just a squad player. I also however don't think he'll ever get anywhere near a 'world class' level.

If he becomes world class in 2-3 years i will eat my shoe

I think he has that ability to become international class, not world class. Like Sturridge for example (who is a very good player) but he'll have to work hard to get there. You never know though.

Well he is International class as he plays for England. These arguments are silly.
In certain sports you have the nationals, and the worlds. In that sense he can be international class as in one of the top premier league wingers, but probably not one of the top wingers in the world.

In certain sports you have the nationals, and the worlds. In that sense he can be international class as in one of the top premier league wingers, but probably not one of the top wingers in the world.
Certainly not, I agree. It needs a different definition, but I think he would be entitled to say he's International class when he's a regular for his country - semantics I know.

Certainly not, I agree. It needs a different definition, but I think he would be entitled to say he's International class when he's a regular for his country - semantics I know.
Slippery slope that, there's a few mechanics and window cleaners in Andorra who'll be using that next.

Slippery slope that, there's a few mechanics and window cleaners in Andorra who'll be using that next.
Too true, so how would you define international class? It's a stupid ranking, and that was my point. People bandy about with these ludicrous statements - world class - international class - premier league etc. It's mostly bullshit.

The more I think about it the more impressive that penalty gets. As someone said, if he doesn't make it we almost certainly lose. Missing a penalty causes heads to go down and shoulders to slump (see: Tottenham at the Ethiad this year). Yet Townsend steps up to take it.

This is a guy who has talked about how he's been frustrated recently with his poor form and inability to push on from his hot start last year. He's also barely played in the league at all. But he is the one who grabs the ball even though he is aware he's out of form etc. For me, that is incredibly impressive. Last year we continually bemoaned our players not standing up to hold themselves accountable. Townsend taking that penalty shows the initiate and mindset we were missing and seem to have found in Kane, Mason, Eriksen, Bentaleb, and Lloris. I don't know if Townsend has the talent and footballing mind to push on here but he showed a massive amount in terms of his mentality against Chelsea. Seriously impressive, you need to have some big ass nuts to bury a penalty like he did.

Back
Top Bottom