Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
He's a better player than we are currently seeing. I can't begin to understand why he seems unable to position himself in areas that would surprise defenders. Look at Chadli $ where he pops up for effective attacking play, time and again yesterday Townshend was stuck on the right touch line, blocking Walkers runs & facing 3 defenders. I don't recall him switching Central or left at any stage ?

I'm assuming it's a confidence issue. When he was at QPR on loan he looked a different player.....

He's easy to defend against because you know exactly what he's going to do. There's no variation in his attacking play, he's quick - yes, but he *always* looks to cut back and come in on his left foot. His final ball is poor, I can't see him making the grade here. I like him, can't fault his commitment and desire but I just don't think he's good enough.

Which is why he should play as a left winger instead of a right inside forward

He's easy to defend against because you know exactly what he's going to do. There's no variation in his attacking play, he's quick - yes, but he *always* looks to cut back and come in on his left foot. His final ball is poor, I can't see him making the grade here. I like him, can't fault his commitment and desire but I just don't think he's good enough.

How many moves break down because he cant trap a simple pass?

Terrible control from a loose ball, terrible shooting unless from the spot, cant cross, barely beats a man, bad decision making, never seen him head a ball, offers nothing.

Its great that he has the bollocks to keep plugging away, and he's one of our own.

But he's lucky to be playing in the PL at all. Hes had a career that has far, far surpassed many millions of kids who never made it, and a good few were probably a lot better.

If he ends up in the Champo next summer, he has no reason to be disappointed. He's been punching miles above his weight for a good while.

Lamela is good looking, looks stylish, came hyped up as the next CR7, cost a fortune and gives people nostalgia due to the Argentinian connection with Ossie.

Townsend is not great looking, cost zero quid and doesn't give people any good feeling due to lack of any connection which the fans get despite being from the academy.

Let us honestly compare the performances of Townsend and Lamela. Both have been extremely underwhelming, made quite a few mistakes which cost us goals (Townsend vs Liverpool, Lamela vs City among others), both are struggling to make a mark since they consistently try to do it on their own and get overcrowded and lose possession.

Lamela has scored a couple of world class goals for Spurs which I personally feel Townsend is more than capable of doing (except the rabona, that is a Lamela special) if he had his luck going for him. Plenty of his shots are good ones which just miss the goal. I am of the opinion that if we are willing to be patient with Lamela, we should be patient with Townsend. Capability wise, Lamela's 100% might be a lot better than Townsend's 100%, but right now they are more or less on the same footing and as seen with Harry Kane, nobody can predict the future and he can become world class. So unless we are getting some world class winger, there is no point selling Andros.

He is also one of our own.

Lamela is good looking, looks stylish, came hyped up as the next CR7, cost a fortune and gives people nostalgia due to the Argentinian connection with Ossie.

Townsend is not great looking, cost zero quid and doesn't give people any good feeling due to lack of any connection which the fans get despite being from the academy.

Let us honestly compare the performances of Townsend and Lamela. Both have been extremely underwhelming, made quite a few mistakes which cost us goals (Townsend vs Liverpool, Lamela vs City among others), both are struggling to make a mark since they consistently try to do it on their own and get overcrowded and lose possession.

Lamela has scored a couple of world class goals for Spurs which I personally feel Townsend is more than capable of doing (except the rabona, that is a Lamela special) if he had his luck going for him. Plenty of his shots are good ones which just miss the goal. I am of the opinion that if we are willing to be patient with Lamela, we should be patient with Townsend. Capability wise, Lamela's 100% might be a lot better than Townsend's 100%, but right now they are more or less on the same footing and as seen with Harry Kane, nobody can predict the future and he can become world class. So unless we are getting some world class winger, there is no point selling Andros.

He is also one of our own.

I like your sentiment and actually compared the two in the Lamela thread. I see no difference at times, but the biggest thing is that I truely think that Lamela has potential, and Townsend is never going to be better.

Before we do get shot, I would like to see him have a run of games on the left hand side. See him running at defenders and crossing in. But potch's obsession with inverted wingers means it's not going to happen. If potch isn't going to play him in his natural position then we might as well sell him, for his own good as well as ours.

well this is the guy who played well for england, scored goals and played an important role in getting us to Brazil...
so something can be gotten from him...

if chadli is allowed to drift around the pitch so should he be [but only up to a point !]

I think we should sell him to be honest if we can get a good enough sum (over £15 million) cos he's clearly a talent and he plays well for England he's just so inconsistent for Spurs and I don't think he's developing as a player

Back
Top Bottom