Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I still think he's ever any use at left midfield. I think we'd honestly have faired better if he and Lamela swapped positions in the first half.

Didn't think he was too poor really. When we had our really bad spell our only chances came from him running at Cresswell.

my biggest gripe with him, those facken awful bright red boots aside is he never seems to link up with the rest of the team well, he always seems to be playing in his own little world

all huff and puff, very little substance

still a youngun though so time is on his side

youngun though so time is on his side

He's 24 this summer, that's not young for a footballer. Time to stop using the excuse of "young and developing", he's almost half way through his football career. The guy will never make the leap up in quality, he's just not mentally capable.

He's 24 this summer, that's not young for a footballer. Time to stop using the excuse of "young and developing", he's almost half way through his football career. The guy will never make the leap up in quality, he's just not mentally capable.

he's 23 now then huh and players develop at different rates. 23 is still young for a football player whether you want to admit that or not

you seem very qwik to write people off

if the blokes shooting accuracy and crossing improve he'll be a great player

his dribbling has looked better of late too as imo it's not as loose as afew months back or last season

anyway to each his own

he's 23 now then huh and players develop at different rates. 23 is still young for a football player whether you want to admit that or not

you seem very qwik to write people off

if the blokes shooting accuracy and crossing improve he'll be a great player

his dribbling has looked better of late too as imo it's not as loose as afew months back or last season

anyway to each his own

He can develop technically, he'll stay the same physically and he'll barely improve mentally.

His mind set isn't going to change much, he's been a football for over a decade now. He's greedy and keeps the ball solely on the right, doesn't move it around quick enough and isn't the best at tracking back. Mentally he just isn't up to scratch, which is holding him back.

Look at Mason. His mentality is absolutely perfect, both his motivation and his understanding of the game are great even if he isn't the best technically. Townsend doesn't have that. Come to think of it, Townsend doesn't have much of anything to his game other than great dribbling.

I don't think I'm that quick to write people off; when people are slagging off Lamela I think he'll still come good, just a late developer imo.

my biggest gripe with him, those facken awful bright red boots aside is he never seems to link up with the rest of the team well, he always seems to be playing in his own little world

all huff and puff, very little substance

still a youngun though so time is on his side

Yep, that's excactly the problem. That, and his tendency to try and drible from any position, even when losing the ball means we'll have a nasty counter against us. The fact that he is so terrible at linking with the other players made Dembele, Kane, Mason and Lamela look terrible today. Ahead of West Hams goal Mason lost the ball while trying to look for Townsend, and Dembele lost it on the chaotic right hand side for the goal too. That was Dembeles fault, but it was Townsends presence on that right side that made everything happening out there or even in the vicinity so terrible.

Dembele had a awful first half, but I'd say that was partly his fault, but mostly the lineup. And the only thing wrong with the lineup was that right winger position.

And I have to say, I feel a bit bad for saying this. I think Townsend has a lot of good qualities. I think he's a player that is being fucked over by the Home Grown rule. That rule, intended to aid the development of youngsters, through forcing clubs to retain them, means that he's being kept here as a fringe player. If he got to play for a mid- to low table club, where his potential upside was more valuable than his downside was disruptive, he could develop into a top quality, or at least a highly impactful player for such teams.

Now he's here, with low confidence and pretty much seeing his career opportunities pissed away.

I feel for him, but I really think he should be moved on.

The entire right side was a mess today. Not sure if Walker had a knock, but he was in la la land most of the match. No real connection or link up between Walker and Townsend. The combined football IQ is shockingly low.

not being nasty but he was on the verge of leaving for Qpr we should have snapped there hand off when they were offering what they did

Would leave us too short of bodies, we're down to 1 left winger and 2 right wingers as it is.

As positive as people would like to be, we really do need an entire squad restructure, at least 5-6 new people in to replace Ade, Paulinho, Kaboul, Vlad, Lennon, possibly AT, Soldado. Lot of work to be done...

Would leave us too short of bodies, we're down to 1 left winger and 2 right wingers as it is.

As positive as people would like to be, we really do need an entire squad restructure, at least 5-6 new people in to replace Ade, Paulinho, Kaboul, Vlad, Lennon, possibly AT, Soldado. Lot of work to be done...
we cannot get them out the club is the problem they are sitting on a big fat contract you are talking serious wages there

Really want to give this guy a chance as he's a spurs fan, one of our own. However his decision making is just not up to standard and I am starting to think it might not work out, hope I am wrong.

I remember those 4 or so good games in a row that got him picked for England.
If he can produce that week in then I'd want to keep him.

As he is generally, for me he's yet another speed merchant who can't cross

Awful, just awful. I know he's an academy product etc so we all want him to succeed but I think we need to accept he's not going to make it here. Just so frustrating watching him time and time again with no end product.

It is real tough, obviously loves the company and shown personal dedication to wanting to stay and wxcel at THFC.
This year though has demonstrated he is short of being a quality player. I am comfortable with the club allowing Andros to leave in order to get more regular playing time.

Back
Top Bottom