Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I voted no. Just don't think he's very good.

I'd have been a yes up until a year or so ago, but the bar has been raised significantly in that time and has left Andros behind. When you consider our next step is to challenge Man City and Chelsea, are their attacking midfielders better than him? Aye, they are. They are the level we need to aspire to and Andros isn't going to make it to that level.

He can become a great player and automatic first team pick for someone like Everton or Stoke, but we need better.

Is someone like Scott Sinclair much better than him though? No, and he could also reach the level of a Victor Moses in my eyes. Not every player needs to be the level of Bale or Silva, and we would never keep a squad of that level happy. You need these lower tier of players to allow rotation, but still be able to do the job in the easier games. How else do you explain most of Man United's defenders?

The question in my opinion should be:

Is Andros Townsend good enough for a first team squad fighting for the title next season?

I think he is. He is fast as hell and has proved how good shot he has. He will not produce every gameweek, but will contribute in some games where our more senior players can't. He has certain qualities that we have in our squad (Lennon and Bale) already but as spoiled as we are, pace is a rare quality in the Premiership. As many wise men have said; you can't beat pace. Well, you actually can if you don't get the decision making right. However, he's young and is likely to further improve.

He is damn lucky to be able to train with the likes of Bale, Lennon, Holtby, Sigurdsson etc, all brilliant footballers, and at Spurs is where he is most likely to get the most out of his talent. There are many very good young players in our squad. Townsend is one of those we should keep. Give him 3-4 years and see what he has done with his talent. I'm quite confident he will do rather well!

Indeed it is. But a chain is only as strong as its weakest link...

In context of the discussion, I disagree.

Squads are about rotation, about being able to refresh the side but still maintain a points haul. It is not about everyone being top class.

If we had Townsend as something of a development player, and used him in FA/Carling cups and against bottom 8 sides - he could perform to a good enough standard, we could accrue the points required, the likes of Lennon can be rested to remain fit for the more testing games and in the meantime we can see a young player gaining experience and hopefully quality. Potentially elevating him to "big game player" over time.

At least thats the theory, right now I think keeping him for that sort of role is the only sane option - certainly better than letting him go.

I went with no as everytime ive seen him he frustrates me. Doesnt ever look up, and runs into dead ends. I think theres a good player in there somewhere but doubt we will ever see it at Spurs.

ay_105539205.jpg

New smiley? #jizzface

I think that playing CL football next season (with the Bale) plus signing a classy striker and midfielder should give Townsend some good exposure/experiences and encourage him to mature into a better player hopefully!

We wouldn't have had to play Dembele out of position today, and afforded to leave Livermore on the bench if Townsend wasn't out on loan, scoring for fun at QPR!!!!

Fine margins!

As of today, I'd very much have liked him to come off the bench in Liverpool.

Having a player like him on the bench rather than 2 centrebacks would have been good.

We wouldn't have had to play Dembele out of position today, and afforded to leave Livermore on the bench if Townsend wasn't out on loan, scoring for fun at QPR!!!!

Fine margins!

We still would have had Walker and Defoe's rank incompetence to contend with though.

We still would have had Walker and Defoe's rank incompetence to contend with though.

Yeah, maybe, but we might also have had Townsend's 'worldy' scored for US this weekend to put us 3-1 up!

Auntie/Uncle/Bollocks I realise!

Need.. To... Move.... On... But.... Can't... Yet!

Impressed with the way Townsend seems to be knuckling down and making the most of the opportunity at QPR - the pace, power & eye for goal he seems to be showing at the moment would be welcome in our squad imho. Hopefully this loan has a similar effect on him to Walker's time at Villa...

Back
Top Bottom