Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
kYfGXo2.jpg

This terrifying creature is coming to devour the souls of his doubters as they sleep in their beds, so... you've been warned.

EDIT: this would require his victims to actually be asleep, so everyone on this forum is safe then.
Can someone photoshop a little alien mouth
IMG_0405.JPG

Looking back at this now, we had quite a youth team then! Would love to know whether WindyCOYS WindyCOYS thinks the current crop coming through are better than these lads were at their age?
Someone asked me that on Twitter yesterday. It's always hard to compare but I think our players in the current crop are arguably more technically complete, and there are *more* technically complete players. I'd be very happy if just as many become PL players.

Someone asked me that on Twitter yesterday. It's always hard to compare but I think our players in the current crop are arguably more technically complete, and there are *more* technically complete players. I'd be very happy if just as many become PL players.

Thanks mate, hopefully we'll get to a stage where the young players coming through the youth set-up will be challenging for a place in the first team on a yearly basis.

he frustrates me more than anything. When he was playing then, with those lot in the vid, I thought he was going to be the next big left winger - Well, he has, sort of - and obviously had time to improve his deficiencies.

Trouble is, I think he looks like the same player he was 5 yrs ago.
He still has not learned to look up at the critical moment and a lot of his crosses are aimless. He needs to score more goals too. He's never been a really prolific goalscorer and, with that left foot, he needs to rectify that.
Can't fault his effort and commitment and he would sweat blood wearing the shirt. I just hope at 23 he can still learn and he starts to look up, see the pass/ cross and deliver it. If he gets that part of his game going he will be an major asset as a creator.
He still gets caught on the ball a lot too.
I think he's better on the left, too predictable on the right. Maybe he will be picked to play there as he has improved his right foot and did more in that little spell there the other night than he has done on the right.
I would love him to come good as he is Spurs.

I would still like to see him stay, at least for another season.

I think a lot of what he gets criticised for is becoming very cliché and not strictly true. For me his biggest problem is when he hits a bad patch in a game he very quickly becomes afraid of the ball and puts himself in positions he's unlikely to get it. However I think his passing has improved immensely, he just needs to get a better understanding with the players around him because he's rarely involved in the one touch moves. He is undoubtedly though our best set piece deliverer and we look a genuine threat from corners when he takes which is quite incredible.

He just needs a good run of form and hopefully his goal Wednesday can kick start that.

I think a lot of what he gets criticised for is becoming very cliché and not strictly true.

Its a cliche because has not improved in 2 years.
Two of his assists this season were a shot that was going wide, and a misplaced cut back, that Eriksen latched onto and buried while Townsend stood there with his hands on his head, fearing he had totally fucked the moved up by playing the ball behind the player it was intended for.

I take it you think his shooting and crossing is decent?

Its a cliche because has not improved in 2 years.
Two of his assists this season were a shot that was going wide, and a misplaced cut back, that Eriksen latched onto and buried while Townsend stood there with his hands on his head, fearing he had totally fucked the moved up by playing the ball behind the player it was intended for.

I take it you think his shooting and crossing is decent?

The hypocrisy.

Earlier on you were suggesting AT is as good as Lamela, because they both have the same number of assists (Which they don't, you were point blank wrong about that). Now you're saying those assists don't count for as much because they weren't pretty assists.

Which is it. Does AT have 5 assists, therefore he's as good as Lamela? Or does AT have 5 shit assists therefore he's not good?

Townsend - because of his pace and speed of movement - is someone who is very much feared by opponents. He's still learning, he needs to improve on the consistency of his finishing, but he's got the ability to outpace and unpick defences in any opposition. He loves the club too and is totally committed to the cause.

The hypocrisy.

Earlier on you were suggesting AT is as good as Lamela, because they both have the same number of assists (Which they don't, you were point blank wrong about that). Now you're saying those assists don't count for as much because they weren't pretty assists.

Which is it. Does AT have 5 assists, therefore he's as good as Lamela? Or does AT have 5 shit assists therefore he's not good?

They are both shit

Still wrong, end of the day. In all comps considered you're still wrong, far as I know.

I just posted two links that show Lamela has 6 and Townsend 5.
So obviously I was wrong that they had equal assists...why is that a revelation?

At the end of the day, I think you are a tad surprised that Lamela isnt trumping Townsend though, as it appears you were under that impression.

Townsend has also made ten less appearances...

So people bigging up Lamela, as much better than Townsend are also way off.
They are pretty much equally poor, but both work as hard.

To me, Lamela is the better overall player and his stint at Roma showed glimpses of a potential top player. However, in Spurs he hasn't shown that yet. He's had the odd game though and the odd beautiful assist and a rabona.

Townsend on the other hand has shown he's not going to just lay down and give up. He's rightfully ahead of Erik today. They need to push each other forward because, as Sammy says, both have not been good enough. Compare them to Chadli and Eriksen and they look bang on average. We need better from both and both have the potential for that. I'm happy with adding another winger in the summer to spice things up but I want both Lamela and Townsy to stay (unless we get an offer too good to refuse :levystare:)

Back
Top Bottom