Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After yesterday's results Postecoglou can do 2 things which absolutely ensure any sense of disappointment is put to one side for this season.

Not lose to Woolwich is number one. The other is to finish no lower than 5th, which would now be par for the season.

6 points from our last 6 games, whilst being an average return will see us 5th.

After yesterday's results Postecoglou can do 2 things which absolutely ensure any sense of disappointment is put to one side for this season.

Not lose to Woolwich is number one. The other is to finish no lower than 5th, which would now be par for the season.

6 points from our last 6 games
, whilst being an average return will see us 5th.
Fuck that, 15 minimum or I strop...

6 points from our last 6 games, whilst being an average return will see us 5th.
6 pts would be a bit underwhelming. Have to beat Burnley and Sheff Utd and something from Woolwich and Chelsea, 2 draws would do.

6 pts would be a bit underwhelming. Have to beat Burnley and Sheff Utd and something from Woolwich and Chelsea, 2 draws would do.

It would, but I think that's it at best, and no gimmes, as both Burnley and Sheffield Utd play decent stuff.

It's painful but we are neither this nor that, and underwhelming is exactly us at present.

Might need a flick of a switch, but I don't have the feeling it's coming whatsoever.

Mind you I thought Newcastle and Liverpool would win last night, so what do I know.

It would, but I think that's it at best, and no gimmes, as both Burnley and Sheffield Utd play decent stuff.

It's painful but we are neither this nor that, and underwhelming is exactly us at present.

Might need a flick of a switch, but I don't have the feeling it's coming whatsoever.

Mind you I thought Newcastle and Liverpool would win last night, so what do I know.
Sheffield Utd and Burnley will both be down by then. They will be easy victories. It’s the other 4 that you just don’t know. I don’t think we’ll lose on Sunday. Chelsea is just a horror game for me no matter how bad they are because they’ll be well up for it. Liverpool might have downed tools by the time we play them and we could be going into the City game being in a position where if we beat them we could hand Woolwich the league but lose to them and City likely win it but fuck our chances of possibly 4th.
Strange times ahead.

Sheffield Utd and Burnley will both be down by then. They will be easy victories. It’s the other 4 that you just don’t know. I don’t think we’ll lose on Sunday. Chelsea is just a horror game for me no matter how bad they are because they’ll be well up for it. Liverpool might have downed tools by the time we play them and we could be going into the City game being in a position where if we beat them we could hand Woolwich the league but lose to them and City likely win it but fuck our chances of possibly 4th.
Strange times ahead.
Should be easy victories...

There's a wealth of evidence that for us they won't necessarily be.

Kind of sick of reading people losing their shit and reeeeing about there being no easy games when it's mentioned about dropped points against the likes of Wet Sham and Wolves (1 point from 12!).

The players absolutely should be going into games like that thinking they're better and should win, they are and they should, as long as they also know that they have to match workrate and prove themselves with the result. Arrogance would be to turn up and just expect the result to happen, confidence is knowing that if we turn up and do the work we will make it happen. There's a difference.

I'd be livid if I thought the players were psyching themselves up for a game against Everton or Spam or Forest thinking "boy what a tough league this is, every game is hard, we'll be fortunate if we can graft our way to a win here..." sod that!

I think there's still a huge mentality problem amongst the players, and I don't blame Ange for that. I think our biggest characters are a bit of a case of all mouth at the moment, they talk a good game, but when the going gets tough none of them are dragging us up and demanding more. The leadership group still has a lot of room to grow, and this won't be popular but I don't think Son is the right material, he ticks a lot of boxes and I'm sure the players respect him, but I wouldn't follow him into battle, he's too nice (which I think sums us up as a club for many a year now, weirdly, considering everyone hates us...).

Kind of sick of reading people losing their shit and reeeeing about there being no easy games when it's mentioned about dropped points against the likes of Wet Sham and Wolves (1 point from 12!).

The players absolutely should be going into games like that thinking they're better and should win, they are and they should, as long as they also know that they have to match workrate and prove themselves with the result. Arrogance would be to turn up and just expect the result to happen, confidence is knowing that if we turn up and do the work we will make it happen. There's a difference.

I'd be livid if I thought the players were psyching themselves up for a game against Everton or Spam or Forest thinking "boy what a tough league this is, every game is hard, we'll be fortunate if we can graft our way to a win here..." sod that!

I think there's still a huge mentality problem amongst the players, and I don't blame Ange for that. I think our biggest characters are a bit of a case of all mouth at the moment, they talk a good game, but when the going gets tough none of them are dragging us up and demanding more. The leadership group still has a lot of room to grow, and this won't be popular but I don't think Son is the right material, he ticks a lot of boxes and I'm sure the players respect him, but I wouldn't follow him into battle, he's too nice (which I think sums us up as a club for many a year now, weirdly, considering everyone hates us...).
Agree.. I love Sonny, and he does feel the highs when we win and the frustration when we lose, but he is not captain/leader material for me.

I'd say Madders, Romero, Vicario or Rodrigo have better leader type traits in them as they are not "too nice".

What you think?

Agree.. I love Sonny, and he does feel the highs when we win and the frustration when we lose, but he is not captain/leader material for me.

I'd say Madders, Romero, Vicario or Rodrigo have better leader type traits in them as they are not "too nice".

What you think?
I think it really shouldn't matter who wears the armband, the fact that we're even discussing it suggests to me that none of the other guys are up to it either as otherwise they'd be doing the job already without the armband (Romero and Maddison have literally been announced as part of the captaincy team).

I think all of our top players have their flaws, which is to be expected, and is fine, as long as those flaws are compensated for elsewhere. Nowhere in our team do I see the drive to not just win, but win well, or even just never give up.

At 4-0 vs Newcastle the attitude should have been "well let's make it 4-1, then we can think about getting to 4-2..." Even if we still lose in the end, at least the fans have a little to cheer along the way for their troubles.

He is determined to win and doesn't accept 2nd, as a guy who wants to win no matter what I put him on that level but obviously winning is what matters and talk is cheap

I don’t think he has the same desire as Fergie personally.

Look at this seasons top 4 chase. Fergie would be clear. We are qualifying. That’s the aim of this football club. To compete in the biggest competition in the world.

He’d have just dragged the club through sheer force of will.

And I view Fergie as an empire builder. Ange comes across more like a high level management consultant. He will leave you in a better place. But he’s not there for the long term.

Time will tell anyway.

I agree with you on Sonny. He has nothing about him as a leader on the pitch when the chips are down but I understand why he’s captain. He’s a great person,likeable,players will look up to him because he’s a very good player and been at the club a while.
VDV or Porro are more captain material or leadership group in my eyes. To be honest players should all be captains when they go on that pitch and step up. There’s different ways to captain I suppose but we need players to have the mentality that every single game should be won. That obviously won’t always happen but it’s the mindset we need and not accept that we weren’t up for it,aggressive enough or intense enough like we were against Newcastle.

I agree with you on Sonny. He has nothing about him as a leader on the pitch when the chips are down but I understand why he’s captain. He’s a great person,likeable,players will look up to him because he’s a very good player and been at the club a while.
VDV or Porro are more captain material or leadership group in my eyes. To be honest players should all be captains when they go on that pitch and step up. There’s different ways to captain I suppose but we need players to have the mentality that every single game should be won. That obviously won’t always happen but it’s the mindset we need and not accept that we weren’t up for it,aggressive enough or intense enough like we were against Newcastle.
So much about us just seems passive, I don't believe for one second that this is what Ange is preaching to them, so it can only come down to the natural mindset of the players.

We often start games at a canter and don't show any oomph until we go a goal down, that's poor mentality. We get a lead, one or two up, then we often allow the opponents to then get a foothold and get back into it. That's poor mentality.

We just seem like a fairweather team, if absolutely everything including the wind direction is in our favour then we can be a joy to watch, we just don't have the desire to impose ourselves on a game that isn't handed to us on a plate.

It's something that feels deeply ingrained in this club tbh. Too soft, players arrive, see the training facilities, the stadium, they're comfortable, they've made it, without ever having actually achieved anything.

We'll moan about not wanting players who will view us as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, but they're the one's who will strive for more, to improve, to be the best. The one's that are happy at Spurs forever with no desire to go further, they ain't driving us to glory.

That's not to say they can't be part of a successful side, they just aren't the one's forcing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom