Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree mate, it's on him and the players, it's been shit no hiding from it.
No clean sheets for months, tells the story, it isn't good enough and they need to do better.
Too many players are hiding, and have been missing for months.

I think what has annoyed me most is that the likes of Sarr, Bissouma, Maddison and Son play like they are looking at being on the beach.

I was really looking forward to this team post injury crisis and they nearly all have been lazy or out of form. To be fair they did turn up in the NLD (that was lost purely due to naive set pieces).

Again if we never truly back a manager then forget ever winning a cup or challenging. 4-8th will be where we are, easy street for the players and Levy.
I am not disagreeing with you but the reality is that Levy will see it as he has already backed Ange with quality signings and would be expecting more from what he has currently got, this is how he operates.

If we were in good form right now and competing in games looking like we are going in the right direction but just lacking the quality required he MIGHT get lucky with Levy and get a few more signings.

But given our current form and more importantly the steep drop off from the levels we witnessed at the start of the season, Levy would see backing him massively as too big a financial risk, we have seen this show on repeat time and time again.

He didn't back Poch after the CL final, didn't back Conte after finishing 4th and sacked Jose the day before a final, I see how it ends with Ange.

Again if we never truly back a manager then forget ever winning a cup or challenging. 4-8th will be where we are, easy street for the players and Levy.
Backing this prick will see us having a squad capable of playing one way. We've seen what in the PL once other managers suss you out.

The the next manager is left with a totally unusable squad

A manager that gets it and doesn't pass the buck.
Time will tell if Ange's methods will work in the PL or not, but I admire his steadfastness.
The taste we had of his style at the beginning was refreshing, after the last couple of seasons.
Let's buckle up and hope it's not as bumpy next season.
Skooch Skooch - disagree all you like, but don't see the necessity of calling Ange names.

I think what has annoyed me most is that the likes of Sarr, Bissouma, Maddison and Son play like they are looking at being on the beach.

I was really looking forward to this team post injury crisis and they nearly all have been lazy or out of form. To be fair they did turn up in the NLD (that was lost purely due to naive set pieces).
Yes I know just can't understand some of them.
Bissouma started the season well, by November he was finished, maddison hasn't been the same since the injury.
Son only really plays well if the team is buzzing, he isn't captain material at all.

Backing this prick will see us having a squad capable of playing one way. We've seen what in the PL once other managers suss you out.

The the next manager is left with a totally unusable squad

Most elite managers only play one way. Pep never comes out with a low block, nor does he play counter attacks it only works because he has the right blend of players and over many years the repetition of how they play makes them better and better at it. Everyone knows how Pep will play, what his plan A yet they can’t stop it. Same with Klopp when he had Mane and the like at his best.

If you’re looking for a sum of their parts manager who will switch it up based on the players available and the opposition you are looking more at a Harry Redknapp style of manager. Probably the best version of this style of manager would be Ancelotti but the chance of him leaving Real for us is minimal.

Time will tell if Ange's methods will work in the PL or not, but I admire his steadfastness.
The taste we had of his style at the beginning was refreshing, after the last couple of seasons.
We have a manager telling us how it is and what we’ve been saying and wanting to hear for years to not accept mediocrity and want to win but still there’s some say he’s arrogant and throwing players under the bus shit.

If he has to throw cunts under the bus and out people to get success should that not be celebrated?

Who gives a fuck if players are getting told they are not good enough and have to go?

What he is saying is exactly what we think and it shows he has self belief and balls to do it.

The club need to get their fingers out and finally get us to the next level. It’s on them.

Most elite managers only play one way. Pep never comes out with a low block, nor does he play counter attacks it only works because he has the right blend of players and over many years the repetition of how they play makes them better and better at it. Everyone knows how Pep will play, what his plan A yet they can’t stop it. Same with Klopp when he had Mane and the like at his best.

If you’re looking for a sum of their parts manager who will switch it up based on the players available and the opposition you are looking more at a Harry Redknapp style of manager. Probably the best version of this style of manager would be Ancelotti but the chance of him leaving Real for us is minimal.
It’s easy when you have the talent they have. Grealish,Foden,silva,Doku compare to Johnson,Sonny,deki and Werner for wide positions is too big of a gap in ability and mentality.
The options they gave defensively are incredible.
Pep would not have us any higher than Ange because it’s players that make the systems work or not work.

I think Pep keeps his principles of play the same, but he varies the tactics over time. Nowadays it's 4 centre backs in the lineup and lots of height generally. Different positions provide width these days compared to his Barca teams, likewise he has evolved how his team's overload the midfield.

Within the framework of his principles of possession and pressing, he has adapted quite a lot over the years I think. I don't know enough of Ange's history to say whether he has or not, but then he has never had to coach in a top league before.

It’s easy when you have the talent they have. Grealish,Foden,silva,Doku compare to Johnson,Sonny,deki and Werner for wide positions is too big of a gap in ability and mentality.
The options they gave defensively are incredible.
Pep would not have us any higher than Ange because it’s players that make the systems work or not work.

CFG's scouting and talent ID is second to none. There's a lot of pieces that have to work and come together to build a team with their talent and ability. Postecoglou was also selected by CFG for the Yokohama and the Celtic job. CFG don't do that with mugs.

He even said in that press conference himself that he will essentially die on this hill playing the football he wants as it has "worked my entire career" but then he also said himself "but the premier league might be too big of a jump, who knows mate."

If he requires Levy to gut the team and rebuild it for this style to work I think he might be in for a shock tbh.

Like I said before, Levy wouldn't back Poch after a CL final, Conte or Jose with rebuilds; what makes Ange believe he will get backed? Especially after recent form?
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm Ange sceptical but don't want him out either as the hiring and firing cycle doesn't help us much. My concern is: is he the person worth backing? I would have said 100% yes at the start of the season but I'm not sure now. There has to be a willingness to change and adapt. Shrugging your shoulders and saying set pieces aren't the problem doesn't strike me as a very persuasive way to go about making a case for heavy backing.

Yeah we can’t keep chopping and changing. I’m far from convinced but he seems the type to get rid of the chancers. The video of him saying don’t pass back is similar to the one that was circulated on here from his time at Celtic.

Next season I just want him to take the cups seriously more than the league. I want a day out at Wembley.

I think Pep keeps his principles of play the same, but he varies the tactics over time. Nowadays it's 4 centre backs in the lineup and lots of height generally. Different positions provide width these days compared to his Barca teams, likewise he has evolved how his team's overload the midfield.

Within the framework of his principles of possession and pressing, he has adapted quite a lot over the years I think. I don't know enough of Ange's history to say whether he has or not, but then he has never had to coach in a top league before.

Pep to be fair has made some slight positionally adjustments (John Stones as a false midfielder) but as you say the principles are the same.

The way Pep plays is so extreme City give up scoring goals for it, the amount of times I have seen City win the ball back and get a 4 on 2 or 5 on 3 and rather than take the opportunity to score they simply slow the game down and go back to passing must be in the dozens by now.

No other team does this and gives away huge scoring opportunities. They believe in how they play that much they give up goals. One City player said a while back that Pep used to go mental in training if a player scored a goal but the goal was not scored in the right way, ie the player hit a difficult shot rather than pass to someone in an easier position to score.

Obviously you need the right players for this. Pep finished 3rd in his first season with a billion pound squad (probably £2bn in today’s money) and then had to spend another billion to make it work. Both Arteta and Klopp got huge backing. We have no idea if Ange will succeed but no manager will without good backing.

Back
Top Bottom